Hi,

So I've recently posted on here asking for advice on recording guitar into my iMac through an interface. Me being me, skint like always, decided to go with the 'Guitar Link' - the unbranded version on the Behringer, uses the same drivers however as the branded.

I have Guitar Rig 5 and use garageband for recording, but I just can't get a good sound. When I use GR5 as a VST in garageband, have 'clean combo' in garageband and use the MFX on GR5, the recording sounds like crap...

Mind you, when I'm just playing through GR5 and listening to the sound in my headphones (plugged into the guitar link) the sound is good. It's just when I record into garageband and listen back to the recording, it sounds really, REALLY bad. In my opinion the recordings sounded better when I plugged my guitar cable straight into the line-in (although my guitar was connected to a Line 6 Pod 2.0 before going into my mac).

Does anyone know why the recording sounds bad? GR5 itself sounds good, but it's just when it gets recorded into garageband...

Should I buy Reaper, or some other software for recording and use GR5 in that?
The thing is, I looked on youtube and this guy was getting a real good sound, and he was using garageband, gr5, and guitar link...?
And finally, does the problem maybe lie in the guitar link interface? If so, then should I sell my pod, and buy a scarlet or lexicon interface? The pod isn't good for recording as I've heard.

Btw, I am looking for the best, cheapest option to record good sounding guitar into my mac so I can make songs and upload guitar covers onto youtube.

equipment available:

Line 6 spider 4 15 watt
Guitar link usb interface
Line 6 pod 2.0 amp modeller/DI box (apparently)
ESP ltd guitar
iMac, default sound card, hence the need for an interface
Garageband, can get reaper or other software

How can I get the best recording set up for a cheap price? I can get access to good software, I'd just need to buy interfaces etc.

Only 15, and on a tight budget, as stated...
Are you putting the GR5 plugin on a garageband track that's set as a 'clean combo' guitar amp? In that case, you're playing through a guitar amp through a guitar amp, which will sound like poop.

You have to put the vst on a blank track, is there some general default 'audio' track? I forget what the specific name is, but I know there is one. That will clean up your tone considerably.

Everything else will fall into place after that, and you can upgrade your gear as you feel you need to. You should be able to get by with what you have for a while longer, so don't worry too much about it.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
omg... thank you so much... if this works... Then you sir, are a god.

But I don't have access to my mac at the moment -_-

Thank you very much for the advice though. And while on the topic, what is the best music production program which supports VST's AND has a good recording aspect, which would let me produce full songs without actually recording real, live instruments? Apart from guitar of course, I want to record that. ( I can get a MIDI keyboard/controller if needed)
If that's how you were handling it, then I guarantee that's your problem. Glad I could help!
To answer your next question:
The best software for mostly midi composition? From my personal experience, I suggest one of these two paths:

Ride garageband as far as you can, then upgrade to Logic. It is built around the same core software, and all files will import seamlessly when you upgrade. It's also dirt cheap for a pro DAW ($199 in app store). The midi functionality is deep and of the highest quality. The built-in instruments should get you pretty far as well.

If you can't gel with garageband, Ableton Live is incredible for midi composition. I use it for recording organic (not EDM) music, and I use loads of midi loops and clips, with real guitar/bass/vocals on top. It has a steep learning curve, but once you get it, it's incredible. The included sounds library is of incredible high quality as well, I use their drum samples exclusively and they sound as good if not better than EZ/Superior/Slate drums.

Another fun fact about ableton- you can sing/play guitar and record it, then convert that melody (or harmony or rhythmic beat) to midi with the click of a button. My songwriting partner will frequently sing a melody that she wants as a keyboard/guitar riff, and I just record and convert it, then apply a vst instrument (or read it off the piano roll and play it back from my guitar live). Same with drum beats, you can beat box into it and it will assign the sounds you made to different drum samples with stunning accuracy (it can tell when I'm making kick/snare/hat sounds etc).

You'll probably be fine with garageband for a good long while. People knock it, but it's very powerful software.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Thanks, this is some real good advice. I have heard only good things about Ableton and I've tried Logic myself, really easy to work with (in my opinion). And that feature about singing a melody can really come in handy too. Thanks again.
Now just for a MIDI keyboard...
Quote by mickel_w
Thanks, this is some real good advice. I have heard only good things about Ableton and I've tried Logic myself, really easy to work with (in my opinion). And that feature about singing a melody can really come in handy too. Thanks again.
Now just for a MIDI keyboard...

If you can find one with the features you want in your budget, try to get an Akai keyboard. I've used tons of midi keys, and Akai has a really great feel and better build quality than anything I've ever played from m-audio or korg. They tend to fall in the same price range as well.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Quote by Sid McCall
Akai has a really great feel and better build quality than anything I've ever played from m-audio

I'm gonna disagree there but thats a preference thing. I picked up an Axiom 49 over whatever the Akai was that was the same price/specs because it felt like it couldn't handle much abuse. Then again, things could have changed since Avid sold M-Audio to the same company that owns Akai
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by lockwolf
I'm gonna disagree there but thats a preference thing. I picked up an Axiom 49 over whatever the Akai was that was the same price/specs because it felt like it couldn't handle much abuse. Then again, things could have changed since Avid sold M-Audio to the same company that owns Akai

Could be the case, hard to say. I can only speak from personal experience. I haven't used M-Audio since about 2008. I use the Akai LPK25 for quick desktop programming, and an Akai MPD18 for drums/percussion. For full-range midi stuff, I just plug into my Korg SV1 which is full size and weighted.

I don't like to speculate, just share first hand experience. Luckily, midi controllers are always on display to test out at pretty much all music stores.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Ok. Sounds much better thanks. I've opened GR5 as the main effect on the default master track through garageband. For some reason though I can't hear any output through my speakers or headphones when playing through garageband. Now I've only got some problems with clipping but with some adjustments I'll be fine.

The only thing that bothers me still is the background noise for some amps. Is there any way to get rid of this? It's just that it's gonna get annoying when playing a cover, since the amp background noise will mix with the backing track. But I guess that for the most realistic amp simulator this is the price you pay!
Last edited by mickel_w at Jun 7, 2013,
You don't want the plugin on the master track, you want it on a regular audio track. The one with a speaker for an icon, like this:

I just yanked that from google images, not sure what the specific details of that session are so don't look at it too closely haha

In order to hear yourself through the speakers, you need to monitor the track, I think there's a little headphone button that will do it? I honestly haven't used GB in a long time, so I can double check when I'm home form work, maybe I can make a few screenshots of my own for you.

You'll get the clipping under control pretty quickly, a bit of trial and error and you'll get the hang of it.

As far as noise, you could try a bit of a noise gate, if there is one in GR5. I would imagine there is, I know Amplitube has one. That noise will all but disappear when you mix it in with whatever else you have going on.

I would highly recommend watching a few tutorial videos on garageband. Youtube is full of them. Just watch a few people use it, and learn what the buttons do. Garageband has very few buttons/sliders/knobs that you won't use, so learn what everything they've provided does.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Monitoring doesn't work for some reason.. It's just when I open GR through GB as a plug in that I can't do it. And because it's in GB, I can't access the MIDI/AUDIO options which I normally tweak when just using GR.

And for some reason, recording on a regular track with GR as a VST sounds worse than when I was recording with GR on the master track...

I'm sorry to be bothering you with so many problems, but I'm a noob. Anyways your help is appreciated :P

And I'll look through GB videos, although I don't think there is any tutorials on using GR5 through GB, or any plug ins which I have access to. But I will be looking now anyway.
I think you'd be surprised, you should search specifically for using GR5 in garageband.

With a little bit of reading about routing options you should be able to get everything up and running and sounding good!
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass