I posted this earlier in building and customizing and it yielded no results so I deleted it and thought I would try here.

So I am going to be buying an Avatar Traditional 4x12 cabinet. The amp I'm going to be using it with is a Blackstar HT-100. For the speakers in the cabinet I am fairly certain I am going to be going with Eminence but I don't know which ones to go with exactly. I was thinking about just doing 4 Governors because they are supposed to be just like a V30 but without the harshness in the highs or maybe 4 Wizards because a lot of people have said the Blackstar can be a little harsh with V30 style speakers. Or would it be advantageous for me to try something like 2 different speakers in an "X" pattern such as 2 Governors or Wizards and maybe 2 Swamp Thangs? I play in a hardcore/punk style band and I play most rhythm guitar so I would like to have some nice bottom end. What would you guys suggest?

Here are the speakers they offer:
Celestion: Vintage 30s, G12H30s, G12T75s, Greenbacks, Classic Lead 80s, Hellatone 30s, Hellatone 60s and G12K100s

Eminence Governors, Wizards, Private Jacks, Swamp Thangs

TL;DR: Need speakers to go with a Blackstar HT-100 in a 4x12 avatar cab. Would like to go eminence. What would best? "X" pattern possibly? Play hardcore/punk.
Gear:
Gibson SG w/ Bare Knuckle Aftermaths
Early 90s Fender MIM Telecaster
Squier VM Jaguar
Ibanez RGD7421
Blackstar HT-100
Avatar Vintage w/ 2 Governors and 2 Swamp Thangs
Ibanez EX
Carvin bx500 w/ Peavey 2x10&1x15
i think avatar charges more for eminence actually, if you are into modern tones then i'd recommend a V30/G12K-100 celestion combo.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
On the site its the same price for the listed speakers no matter which combo I get. So you are suggesting I mix the two. Should I do an "X" pattern? I've never customized a speaker cab before so I'm not sure what the benefits are of doing that.
Gear:
Gibson SG w/ Bare Knuckle Aftermaths
Early 90s Fender MIM Telecaster
Squier VM Jaguar
Ibanez RGD7421
Blackstar HT-100
Avatar Vintage w/ 2 Governors and 2 Swamp Thangs
Ibanez EX
Carvin bx500 w/ Peavey 2x10&1x15
I had an Avatar Traditional 212 cab once. Great cabs really, especially considering the cost. Have you tried contacting Dave there? He is really good helping people out.

Gumbi has a really good idea there.

I had a G12H30 and a Classic Lead 80 and I had some pretty modern tones going - but that combo won't work for you probably. I'd give the Hellatones a serious look H60, and maybe even the Red Coat Man O War - if they offer that.

I see no reason to 'not' do the 'X' pattern - but make sure you don't get a combination that cancels anothers frequencies. I learned that from Gumbi.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jun 6, 2013,
it's up to you really regarding mixing speakers or not. i wouldn't do it without checking with the speaker manufacturer that the mix "works" i.e. doesn't sound bad.

i haven't tried the blackstar so it's hard to recommend speakers...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by CemetaryGates90
On the site its the same price for the listed speakers no matter which combo I get. So you are suggesting I mix the two.

i mix speakers a bunch, i feel it gives me a more full tone. like the V30 has a pronounced mids spike that can really help stand out in a mix but can also be considered 'harsh'. the G12K-100 has a nice low range response, real sturdy and has a fairly even response. mixing the speakers should help tame the harshness of the V30 while still standing out in the mix and provide a solid low end.

i actually use an eminence man o' war (G12T-75 like speaker) and a swamp thang for my modern cab. i haven't experimented with it much yet, i'd like to try a texas heat with the swamp thang. i used to use G12K-85's (precursor to the G12K-100) before, great punch and low end.

i also use a weber silver bell and blue dog combo in the other 2x12 cab, they sound great together. but that is an older rock kinda feel, those speakers are clones of really old celestion speakers.

Quote by CemetaryGates90
Should I do an "X" pattern? I've never customized a speaker cab before so I'm not sure what the benefits are of doing that.

you use an X pattern when you want to distribute the sound of the speakers and provide more even projection of the two speakers. this helps you hear the sound of both speakers more evenly.

sometimes i'll put more loud or harsh speakers on the bottom of a 4x12 so they are farther away from my ear level (less noticeable) and quieter speakers on top so they are closer to ear level (more noticeable).

in stereo cabs i'll sometimes load the 'left' side with one speaker or set of speakers and the 'right' side with another so when the cab is mic'd it'll sound more like two separate kinda amps.

note: most of what i talked about is splitting hairs and somewhat debatable on how much of an impact it makes on your overall tone. i have spent years working out my preference with speakers and cabs, you'd be very lucky to nail the perfect custom cab job on your first try. expect a long journey of experimentation, but it is one fun journey.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Jun 6, 2013,
Quote by gumbilicious

note: most of what i talked about is splitting hairs and somewhat debatable on how much of an impact it makes on your overall tone. i have spent years working out my preference with speakers and cabs, you'd be very lucky to nail the perfect custom cab job on your first try. expect a long journey of experimentation, but it is one fun journey.

yeah

i think the thing about mixing speakers is if you get it right, it's awesome. Arguably better* than any single speaker alone (in multiples, I mean, because obviously everything else being equal, more speakers tend to sound better). But if you get it wrong it can sound plain bad.

*I say arguably because I've seen several posts online where people said they didn't like mixing speakers. So it can go both ways.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?