I decided this summer to make a pickup winder. I plan on making one similar to the one that Warpig built here.

I understand how the winder is supposed to work, but I'm not sure about the specifics. First, I'm not sure what kind of motor to get. I know a lot of people salvage old appliances for them, but the only ones I can get my hands on run slower than I would like. Also, I have no idea what kind of potentiometer to get.

If anyone can help, that would be greatly appreciated.
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Have you tried overvolting the motors? Most of them can handle 150% of their designed voltage for quite some time, and most can even handle double the voltage for some time. Just make sure you give it a long test run and check the temperature build-up.

As for the potmeters, no idea why they should be specific values. Can't help you there.
Slipknot built one from a sewing machine for $40 and said he would be open to questions about it. There also seem to be a lot of stuff on google about how to build one. Seems like the easiest/cheapest way to build one if you dont have lots of resources and engineering skill (i know i dont). Just a thought