Page 1 of 2
basically I'm trying to find a cheap head. I'd go for a good combo, but I already have a 4x12 cabinet to pair a head with so yes!

Budget is about £160-£200, so I realize my limits are basically solid state.. and I realize the budget means chances are I'm aiming at crap, but still.

Thoughts?
Jet City JCA22h is only 209 GBP on thomann. This is going be your best bet that I can see unless you go used.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by ExDementia
Fill this out https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1497696

With that budget, your best bet is to look at the used market. There are plenty in your range.

^ that's the 'what guitar' link FYI

That Jet City is probably a good bet.
Orange micro terror goes for £99, it may be what you need if you don't like heads covered in knobs.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
If you can find one to try out, the Hayden HGT-A40 is worth investigating. The head can be bought from £199 new if you shop around, I recently tried the combo version and it was very nice - all tube with 3 channels, seemed like a very capable amp.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Well I've got some random Harley Benton 412 I bought off Thomann for 200 quid or so last year. I replaced the speakers inside with celestion v30's, though..

I saw a Behringer amp for 140ish.. A laney for about 180.. It's quite difficult because at the this price range it's all gonna be average at best :P.

Thoughts on a spider 3 head? (I'm not that impressed myself..)
I'll keep an eye out for those! I figured a spider would be a no. Can't say I was looking at it sseriously either!
I still stand by the Jet City JCA22h, it is better than everything mentioned except the Laney AOR.
TS you should really check it out on www.thomann.de

It is 2 channels and has a good bit of tones available from a bluesy clean to pretty heavy metal.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
That Jet City sounds like a pretty good deal, not sure if 20 watts will be enough for you though. Tube sounds more powerful and my 15 watt Orange usually can stay on par with most drummers but still might not be enough for some mid size pub gigs.
I see absolutely nothing about what tone we need to be looking for.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
Sorry, of course. basically I play somewhere between rock and metal.. Favourite tones would have to be Mesa boogie's.. Chevelle / Dream theater style tones.
Quote by Robbgnarly
Jet City JCA22h is only 209 GBP on thomann. This is going be your best bet that I can see unless you go used.

+1

or save another ~£30-£40 and get the 50 watter, if possible.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by CeeJay08
Is the Vypyr any good? Didn't realize they did a tube head to it!

It's probably the most frequently recommended amp in these forums. Take that FWIW.

You'd have to try one to see if it's right for you though.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Dream Theathre = smorgasbord of processing, so in your case I don't even know what to say in this price range.
I personally hate modeling for main amp and when needed effects used a Boss GT-10 with distortion from the amp but in your price range don't know if that is feasible.
The Windsor is a crunchy one channel amp that goes from say Stones to AC/DC to Metallica with overdrive pedal.
The AOR is pretty much Thin Lizzy/Motorhead in a box and gets to Metallica with overdrive in front.
Hayden HGT A20 or A40. The latter will be harder to find at a lower price. I did, however, get my Peavey VK100 head for £180 from ebay a few months ago, so keep an eye out for that too!
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
What are everybody's thoughts on the Marshall DSL50 / TSL60 heads? If I push it and sell some other bits of crap I could stretch to £350-400 and stick to tube!
Quote by CeeJay08
What are everybody's thoughts on the Marshall DSL50 / TSL60 heads? If I push it and sell some other bits of crap I could stretch to £350-400 and stick to tube!

I have a DSL100 and it is a pretty nice amp. I would advise the DSL over the TSL.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by CeeJay08
Is there much difference between the two?

The DSL's are better tonaly than the TSL to me and most people. But if you can try both do it and make up your own mind.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Fair play. I've seen them about online for like £300 all the way to £450, so I think it's definitely in the range. With the sound I'm looking for in mind, with a couple of pedals could I achieve that? Because the twangy RATM / Rock sound is definitely high on my list, too!

I know there's things like Bugera etc in that range too. I only have one shop near me to try, and they just don't sell good quality amp's.. I think the Marshall AVT50 was the best head they had in store a few months ago
I have a Bugera 333 and although they sound good, I will not recommend them at all because the build quality is so shoddy (they are very unreliable when compared to other amps).
I use my DSL 100 for prog-metal to punk and it works just fine. It also has a very nice clean channel.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
yeah i'm guessing a dsl should do a twangy ratm type of overdrive (assuming you have a telecaster, or at least a humbucker guitar with coil splits).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
TS, I just saw this on Thomann.de - http://www.thomann.de/gb/jet_city_amplification_100hdm.htm. Maybe a little out of budget but the depth knob would be useful for getting that RATM tone.
Current Rig:

Eppy SG w/Swineheads, Marshall DSL 5c, Joyo Vintage OD, Joyo British Sound, Sounds Sounds Fuzz Face, GGG Guv'nor, Dr. Boogie Pedal, Crybaby in Red Sparkle, Digitech Hardwire Delay

The things I would do for a Les Paul...
I think from what I've read and the comments here, the DSL/TSL is the most open and versatile, and ticks all the boxes in terms of what I'm looking for.

Thanks a lot for the help, guys! Helps to have thoughts when I can't actually go out and try one!
THe TSL from what I read used the same amount of tubes as the DSL but they spread them out to feed three channels instead of two so they lost some of the punch, it is a bit more buzzy sounding. When I tried it kinda sounded like Dave Mustaine's rhythm tone on the high gain channel. The cleans were Marshall cleans, i.e. "serviceable".
I've heard they both have good cleans that handle pedals well, and that the overdrive channel(s) are quite versatile.. Which is good! The "Marshall tone" isn't specifically what I'm aiming for, but the amplifier itself seems versatile enough to get what I'm after with a bit of tweaking..

I think it's a safe amp, rather than buying something else like Peavey VK, which is mostly for metal, then finding it can't do cleans/blues or something.
Actually the VK has a really good clean channel. But the DSL is better if I had to choose.

I use a TS-9 type pedal and a Bad Monkey as a boost. The DSL really shines on the crunch channel with one of the pedals run as a boost.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by CeeJay08
I know a guy selling a VK100 head for £150... good deal?

Try it and see if you like it

I would rather have the DSL over the VK any day
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
VK is actually more of a clean to stoner metal amp (think Motorhead and Spiritual Beggars kind of midrangey sound), I wouldn't call it metal amp per se but it can get there. The DSL and TSL on the other hand have been seen in bands from Alanis Morisette to Testament so they can do anything. After a while you'll really love the Marshall tone. I was more of a Mesa fan myself and looking fro that dark sound which in band context start to get lost. The Marshall on the other hand slices through a mix like a knife through butter.

OK, I will confuse the issue a bit further
A few other amps we didn't mention that you might look into:
Marshall JCM900 (very versatile 2 chan amp)
Egnater Tweaker series - well there are numerous sizes and power combinations in these, look them up, very versatile, can do anything but extreme metal but you can get there with overdrive in front.
Traynor - this is the poor man's North American Marshall (just as Laney is in UK I guess) - YCV 50 watt blue is a great JCM800 knock off, also look their YCS heads:
http://traynoramps.com/products

Last but not least - Ashdown Fallen Angel 60 or 100 watt. This one has 2 channels, all tube.
Has DSP section which can be bypassed or used in a pinch when you don't want to carry effects. Out of the factory they came with a really dark sounding dirty channel, but there is a very simple mod. that could be done on the eq (it is just cutting a resistor out of the chain) and it sounds great. Have one of these, did the mods and am very happy. It also has two programmable channel master levels so you can have one for regular volume and one for boost. Here's a review on it, could be had for next to nothing nowadays. If you get it PM me for the mod group or just search it out on Google.
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/guitar_amplifiers/ashdown/fa_60_combo/index.html?no_takeover
Quote by CeeJay08
I know a guy selling a VK100 head for £150... good deal?

Sounds like a good deal to me, I'd rather have any of the other ones that I mentioned but VK is not a bad amp, the build quiality is a bit on a budget but for £150 I think it is worth it.
Page 1 of 2