Page 4 of 5
Quote by wursty
I like the pit, it's a good place to go and read different topics that aren't music related and I enjoy that there is an active Vinyl thread on there that I can take part in. If you don't like the section then ignore it but I'm sure that if you are here for more then a month then you'll learn to like it.

Personally in the whole time I've been using this site, I've barely touched the pit. Not because of any ill feelings towards it, just when I come to UG it's almost always for tabs or to get tips in the forums.

And the beauty of it is, that when I come on here for those things, that's all I see and they're pretty much always good quality tabs and genuinely helpful assistance. I don't see spamming and trash talking anywhere, because that's what the pit is for. So it really is just as simple as not clicking onto that particular section of the forums, so I have no idea what the OP is so bothered about.
Quote by dog_style
well they could find forums they relate to more so. like religious, relationship or political forums, etc. it seems kinda pointless for non musicians to join and post with lets say relationship topics so often when there are forum sites specifically for that.
when a relationship thread is started it gets hundreds of replies but when a thread is started about joining a band it gets a few replies.
that tells me that with all the hundreds of thousands of musicians in the u.s. alone they are not posting on these forums at all after reading it or anymore after they experience too much junk.
if other sites have problems with spam then they can deal with their/that problem how they see fit.

In the pit people just fool around, that's why a relationship thread can get hundreds of replies, because one or two of them are serious. The threads elsewhere gets serious responses, and that means only people with a valid point on topic will post there. So not everyone has something to say in those threads and that's why there's not as many answers. If someone is looking for a serious answer on something about relationships, the pit is really not the right forum for that.
Quote by Anthropocentric
Your balls. You lost the right to them. Hand them over.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
What kind of person needs to have a Flying V shoved up their vagina?

Join The 7-String Legion! Now!
I dunno man, the guys in the RT seem to give pretty solid advice.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Guy is a massive troll, look at thread history - over 30 threads already with stuff like how many octaves does a bass have, what's the point of 2 guitarists in a band and what cellphones are good for recording metal. Just lol
Not necessarily a troll, there are other possibilities. You credit strangers with too much intelligence, perhaps.
Quote by EqualOfHeaven
The irony is, this thread is now stupider than everything in the pit combined.

and you replied to it.
Quote by GuitarQ33r0
I think you just need to chill out man. The Pit is completely harmless and if trolls or "non-musicians" join UG just to play around on the pit, so what? Its the Internet don't take it so seriously. There are plenty of experienced and trustworthy musicians here for when you need advice.

i am chilled. i'm not the one going into hysterics over this pit topic, just a mere suggestion i brought up. if nobody agreed with me then so be it.
Quote by Air_Stryker
My view is essentially what everyone else's opinion on this is. You can't join a forum community for a month and then decide a particularly sizable portion of that community is worthless and suggest it's removed altogether.

again, it's not how long you been signed up here. it's how much you put into the site with the amount of time at hand, and how many different sections you contribute to.
not just posting, but reading as well even if you don't reply to everything you read.

maybe keeping track of how many threads they visit and what threads they visit might be good. if that's already being done.
Quote by fanapathy
Guy is a massive troll, look at thread history - over 30 threads already with stuff like how many octaves does a bass have, what's the point of 2 guitarists in a band and what cellphones are good for recording metal. Just lol

those are valid music questions. musicians in real life that i have come across argue about how many octaves a 22 fret bass really has. and i don't recall about asking about cell phones for metal music specifically.

seems like you might be this troll word who calls everyone else what you are guilty of?
kind of like a cover.

or you're being an overly sensitive defensive crybaby over something that's not that big of deal, with that said then maybe you really are a musician.
This guy joined in 2013, he definitely knows how to improve UG.
just give me a fender and let me rip
Quote by dog_style
to maybe help reduce non musicians who join to goof around with posts, and maybe pull in and keep more musicians who don't see a bunch of what may be considered junk threads or junk replies.
just a thought.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS0JIZ2KggI

Nobody is forcing you to read the Pit. Just like nobody forces me to read the 4000 new topics you guys make hourly about which hunk of wood should you buy. I'm a musician and the Pit is the least annoying part of this site, mainly because most of the humorless musicians stay out of it.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Last edited by VanTheKraut at Jun 15, 2013,
Quote by dog_style
again, it's not how long you been signed up here. it's how much you put into the site with the amount of time at hand, and how many different sections you contribute to.
not just posting, but reading as well even if you don't reply to everything you read.

maybe keeping track of how many threads they visit and what threads they visit might be good. if that's already being done.

Better go intern at General Electric for a month and tell them to get rid of there washing machine division. I'm sure they'll listen to me, because I would've put a lot in reading on Dinosaurs whilst I was there.

Quote by dog_style
those are valid music questions. musicians in real life that i have come across argue about how many octaves a 22 fret bass really has. and i don't recall about asking about cell phones for metal music specifically.

Er What

Quote by dog_style
assuming you are a 3, 4 to 5 piece metal band who plays loud in a small club. or whatever your live gig is like really.
might as well learn about what other type of bands use too and where they play and what works for them.

i want something that doesn't distort, or not distort the sound too much. the video i part i never have had a problem with, so...

got a recommended make and model?

thanks

That thread was stupid as **** because 'Musicians' like yourself should be watching the gig and not playing with your phone.

This is also an example of how to put multiple posts into one post, it's not hard, but seeing as your two sandwiches short of a picnic I'm hoping that 19 times is enough times telling someone to stop double, triple and quadruple posting.
Last edited by Malchius at Jun 15, 2013,
Quote by dog_style
those are valid music questions. musicians in real life that i have come across argue about how many octaves a 22 fret bass really has.

It's plausible that a bassist hasn't thought about how many notes he's got available but everyone who knows what an octave is and which tuning they use can figure it out by thinking about it - or if they don't have a brain - play their instrument and count.

and i don't recall about asking about cell phones for metal music specifically.

Read your own thread.

seems like you might be this troll word who calls everyone else what you are guilty of?
kind of like a cover.

or you're being an overly sensitive defensive crybaby over something that's not that big of deal, with that said then maybe you really are a musician.

What are you even talking about.
I'm going to have to double post here- this forum limits how long I can make a single post.

Okay...

To start this off, I'm honestly not trying to be mean, rude or anything like that.

dog_style, please try and understand that although lots of people on this forum are treating you rather badly it's only because you display a level of ignorance we rarely see; most people here apparently don't know how to deal with that without resorting to insults. I really do think that there are better ways of dealing with this than accusing you of being a troll, but there are actually people here who think you're a troll and they're not afraid to say it. For the record, I don't think you're trying to troll but lots of the replies you make to others could easily be considered trolling.

For example, in a reply to fanapathy on this page you said:

Can you see how this is trolling? To be fair, the message you quoted in that post was trolling you but don't you see how trolling him back in retaliation is just going to make it worse? When both sides of an argument start trolling eachother, the chances of getting anything constructive out of it are quite slim. There are simply far more constructive ways to deal with this. You could have just as easily asked them why they are ridiculing you without responding with disrespectful remarks and silly logical fallacies.

Here's links to definitions of two logical fallacies you have used in arguments multiple times so far:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man_argument
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

If you want me to point a few occasions where you have used these, I would be happy to point them out to you.

About this multi-posting thing...

Making a double post or two in a thread isn't really a problem. However, if you keep making multi-posts repeatedly you're probably going to get banned from posting on this site. This is because people don't like this- it really spams up the boards, takes up unnecessary amonts of space, and lots of us also find it annoying to read. It would be a lot more difficult to find a certain "pearl of wisdom" on these boards if everyone made multi-posts all the time. Like it or not, you're going to find far less productive responses from people if you keep doing this. Instead, you're going to find more and more accusations of trolling instead of telling you what you want to know.
Quote by Jesus
Gaza Strip- home. At least it was before I fucked ereythang up...
Lastly, I'd like to comment on critical thinking. There's a certain process any of us can use to figure things out on our own without actually asking questions on this forum. You can actually figure out the answers for some of your own questions quicker than it takes for other people to reply to them.

I'll give you an example with a question you made a thread about:

How many octaves does a 22 fret bass have?

With the most basic knowledge of music theory you could easily answer this yourself. Seriously, it's really easy to figure out.

First off, when you're trying to figure something out it's always better to work from the start rather than jump into something without knowing the background of it first. Do you know that there are 12 notes in an octave? Do you know that the 5th fret on any string of a bass is usually tuned to the same pitch of the open string above it? Do you know that the amount of range an instrument has is an inherent property of how many strings it has as well as its tuning?

If you know the answer to the three questions above, you can easily answer your own question. Also, if you do know the answers of those three questions you'll begin to be able to see just how useless knowing how many octaves a 22 fret bass has really is to someone who doesn't even have the knowledge to figure out how many octaves it has on their own.

If you don't know, (and there is no shame in not knowing, but I think there is shame in not willing to learn) feel free to ask the guys on the Music Theory board where to start learning; I am sure lots of them, as well as myself, would be able to help you. You need to be humble about it too or you'll come across as a dick. If someone calls you stupid or something like that, just be respectful and remind them that you're just asking for some direction.

The point is, you need to think more about what you're saying, how you're saying it and why you're saying it. Do this with the aim of making what you say as constructive as possible. That's all there is to it.

There you go. If something in these two posts I have made isn't clear, or doesn't make sense to you, I would be happy to try and explain it better. Please take this seriously- I am really trying to help you.
Quote by Jesus
Gaza Strip- home. At least it was before I fucked ereythang up...
Last edited by JimDawson at Jun 15, 2013,
Quote by dog_style
to maybe help reduce non musicians who join to goof around with posts, and maybe pull in and keep more musicians who don't see a bunch of what may be considered junk threads or junk replies.
just a thought.

Quote by VanTheKraut

Nobody is forcing you to read the Pit.

again, that's not the what the thread is about.
Quote by JimDawson
I'm going to have to double post here- this forum limits how long I can make a single post.

okay, after reading your entire post, i think that non musicians seem to be obsessed with unimportant issues when it comes to forums if forums are the only they do with their time. i think some people feel threatened about my suggestion or their feelings hurt like it's a personal rejection to them. i don't expect many to promote my idea because people generally don't like to praise others who have good idea's or thoughts, they only like to condemn. that's people everywhere be musician or not.
it's not that big of deal really, but when people try and pull up this topic on other threads in other sections then that tells me they are not concerned about music, just being on this a musicians forums. but that's my opinion. i don't care if people disagree and i don't care who treats me badly on a forums, it's just a forums, anyone who takes it personal has unrealistic reality issues to me.
i don't get into childish name calling over not agreeing with someone like many do. that should tell you something. but this section is about expressing your thought, like i believe each section is. seems like many believe in censorship and not freedom of speech, my suggestion is that maybe the pit shouldn't be here, not that it definitely should not or must be stopped.
thanks.
Last edited by dog_style at Jun 17, 2013,
Yeah, people aren't agreeing with you because this isn't their idea. It's just a poor idea.

I find it absolutely hilarious that you seem to treat musicians as some holy master race. Musicians are people, nothing more. Having an off-topic forum makes UG forums what is- a one stop place for musicians and music lovers to be a community. Having a diverse mix of people is amazing and keeps the forum from stagnating. And sometimes, even musicians want to talk about stuff that, well, isn't music. Weird, I know! ( ) By having an offtopic forum, it means other bits where people are needing help don't have their threads bumped off. It means the guitar and bass sections don't get spammed. It means people who know each other on the music sections have a place to discuss other things without them having to sign up to another forum. It means more people join, giving the forum an inbuilt wealth of opinions from over a million people. It means the site gets more traffic, allowing this website to continue what it does.

I love music, I love being a musician, but I wouldn't be here half as much if it wasn't for the Pit (whether people think that's a good or bad thing is a different matter entirely ). People who are all 'zomg, music is my life!' must be boring as shit, and I'm happy this website isn't full of them. I'm happy that this site isn't as elitist and exclusive as you seem to want it to be.
dog_style, no one agrees with you... take the hint, and realize you're wrong. Delusion only makes you look bad, not us.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
I find it absolutely hilarious that you seem to treat musicians as some holy master race.

In another thread, he was insinuating that all musicians are lazy just because no one here wanted to tab his absurd requests.
Last edited by ruker at Jun 17, 2013,
Quote by ruker
dog_style, no one agrees with you... take the hint, and realize you're wrong. Delusion only makes you look bad, not us.

In another thread, he was insinuating that all musicians are lazy just because no one here wanted to tab his absurd requests.

feeling insinuation means you are sensitive maybe?

i think 2 people agreed with me here though.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Yeah, people aren't agreeing with you because this isn't their idea. It's just a poor idea.

I find it absolutely hilarious that you seem to treat musicians as some holy master race. Musicians are people, nothing more.

well if you disagree with this thread subject then whatever, i can respect that.

now i'm not saying musicians are perfect, but there is a reason why there are so many wannabe musicians...you must of heard that term before if you play.
the musicians life is the best life to live, at least for dudes who are successful at it to whatever suits them. it makes life more interesting, exciting, fun, adventurous, and maybe very financially benefiting and chicks prefer musicians. musicians who have had or are having fulfilling moments playing music tend to sew seeds more and thus are more content. that's not just my opinion. it's fact. even if many non musicians disagree, no disrespect to them though.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Then if he's calling musicians too lazy to tab something for him, then I wonder if he's labelling himself lazy, or not a musician.

i can be pretty lazy at times. money for nothing and chicks for free? sounds good to me.

but i think someone else called musicians lazy.
Remember when I asked if you were 13? imma go ahead and take your silence on the issue as a 'yes'.
Quote by Hydra150
Remember when I asked if you were 13? imma go ahead and take your silence on the issue as a 'yes'.

i don't remember you. lots of adult dudes seem to wonder who's underage on forums.
you seem hung up on 13 year olds though if you bring it up again like you admit to doing, of course you see that as okay.
Quote by dog_style
well if you disagree with this thread subject then whatever, i can respect that.

now i'm not saying musicians are perfect, but there is a reason why there are so many wannabe musicians...you must of heard that term before if you play.
the musicians life is the best life to live, at least for dudes who are successful at it to whatever suits them. it makes life more interesting, exciting, fun, adventurous, and maybe very financially benefiting and chicks prefer musicians. musicians who have had or are having fulfilling moments playing music tend to sew seeds more and thus are more content. that's not just my opinion. it's fact. even if many non musicians disagree, no disrespect to them though.

I inow the term wannabe musician. I also think it's a crap term. Someone who can play 3 chords, people who can play multiple instruments to orchestra level, both are muscians. They play music. You either play or you don't, simple as. I've been more successful with music than a lot if people, if you measure success by record deals and the such. The life sucks and it can kill your passion for music. No offence, but you don't know what you're on about.

And 'chicks' don't prefer musicians, no matter what Motley Crue want to tell you. You're steeotyping horribly. Now, women tend to like a guy with confidence. Some musicians are confident and outgoing. It's coincidence.

And well done on not addressing any of the points in my post at all.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I inow the term wannabe musician. I also think it's a crap term. Someone who can play 3 chords, people who can play multiple instruments to orchestra level, both are muscians. They play music. You either play or you don't, simple as. I've been more successful with music than a lot if people, if you measure success by record deals and the such. The life sucks and it can kill your passion for music. No offence, but you don't know what you're on about.

And 'chicks' don't prefer musicians, no matter what Motley Crue want to tell you. You're steeotyping horribly. Now, women tend to like a guy with confidence. Some musicians are confident and outgoing. It's coincidence.

And well done on not addressing any of the points in my post at all.

i don't think you really understand the term wannabe musician. a wannabe musician is one who claims how great they are with their talent level, experience, knowledge of music theory, equipment, etc. but when push comes to shove they don't come even close to what they claim to be and obviously waste other musicians time when it comes to working with others. either that or they are flakes and not as serious as they claim. yet, some are honest about who they are as a musician.

and what works for you in the music business is your experience. that may or not be your fault, but not everyone is so unlucky.

bands get groupies no matter how poor and local of a band they are, no other trade gets that unless they get rich first. that's why chicks prefer musicians. a band like motley crue, you don't think they get tons of groupies? even now?

i did address you opinion about this thread subject you replied about and about musicians being superior. so i don't know what you are talking about.
I'm going to suggest this thread be moved to the Pit.
you're never as free as when you are lost
Quote by dog_style
okay, after reading your entire post, i think that non musicians seem to be obsessed with unimportant issues when it comes to forums if forums are the only they do with their time. i think some people feel threatened about my suggestion or their feelings hurt like it's a personal rejection to them. i don't expect many to promote my idea because people generally don't like to praise others who have good idea's or thoughts, they only like to condemn. that's people everywhere be musician or not.
it's not that big of deal really, but when people try and pull up this topic on other threads in other sections then that tells me they are not concerned about music, just being on this a musicians forums. but that's my opinion. i don't care if people disagree and i don't care who treats me badly on a forums, it's just a forums, anyone who takes it personal has unrealistic reality issues to me.
i don't get into childish name calling over not agreeing with someone like many do. that should tell you something. but this section is about expressing your thought, like i believe each section is. seems like many believe in censorship and not freedom of speech, my suggestion is that maybe the pit shouldn't be here, not that it definitely should not or must be stopped.
thanks.

Hahaha seriously, this dude's gotta be like, 12.

Buddy, we're not offended by your obviously earth-shattering idea. You didn't hurt anyone's feelings. It's a shitty idea and no one likes it. Quit acting as if everyone here is doing you some sort of great disservice by posting on the pit. Get off your pedestal. The "musician life" (wtf haha) isn't the greatest thing in the world, and it sure isn't money for nothing and all the babes, lined up to be shagged.
Quote by soundgarden1986
Screw your bases. If she doesn't let me go elbow deep in her ass on the first date, it wasn't meant to be.

Quote by willT08
Every thread on here to do with audio quality is like walking into a paddock of shit slinging chimps
Quote by dog_style
feeling insinuation means you are sensitive maybe?

i think 2 people agreed with me here though.

Feeling insinuation? Do you even understand what you type?

Quote by dog_style

unfortunately the songs i want i can't find tab in any tab books, online, magazines with tab or even a youtube video.
like the song blueberry hill is also kinda hard to hear with them old recordings and when i am trying to tab from piano to guitar.
maybe musicians are just getting lazier. craigslist seems to prove that.

Sure thing, hypocrite... you didn't insinuate that musicians are lazy.
Quote by Eastwinn
i agree with doge_style wholeheartedly

Then you two should go start your own musicians forum, so the rest of us lazy, non-musicians can go back to being perfectly fine with our set up here.
Quote by dog_style
i don't remember you. lots of adult dudes seem to wonder who's underage on forums.
you seem hung up on 13 year olds though if you bring it up again like you admit to doing, of course you see that as okay.

I'm implying that you come across as very immature.
However, considering the only one here who agrees with you here is Eastwinn, perhaps you should consider being more accepting of the pedophile community.
Last edited by Hydra150 at Jun 17, 2013,
Quote by ruker
Then you two should go start your own musicians forum, so the rest of us lazy, non-musicians can go back to being perfectly fine with our set up here.

start our own music forum so you non musicians can have ours? flawless logic. why don't you start another forum, call it "ultimate nonsense" or something, where all your shithead buddies can circle jerk about politics
Quote by Hydra150
I'm implying that you come across as very immature.
However, considering the only one here who agrees with you here is Eastwinn, perhaps you should consider being more accepting of the pedophile community.

___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by Eastwinn
start our own music forum so you non musicians can have ours? flawless logic. why don't you start another forum, call it "ultimate nonsense" or something, where all your shithead buddies can circle jerk about politics

I have over 100 tabs contributed, you have a whooping zero. If anyone should be the first to leave, it'd be a mooch like yourself.

Man, I'm only 26, but I feel compelled to say... kids these days. Welcome to the internet, subject-specific forums can have off-topic sub-forums, it's common. Deal with it.