I'm considering making some bodies to sell that would be compatible with Warmoth Necks. I'm a cabinet maker by trade and work with wood as accurate as 1/1000". I haven't built a guitar before however its something I'd love to go to school for and I know I could do.

For the time being, I can make some bodies for fairly cheap, the only true cost would be my time. What I'm asking you guys for is some input on things like wood, body shape, finish. I would not be making necks but if I successfully build a body I will purchase a Warmoth neck to get the guitar put together and playable before I consider doing it as a side job.

So, I'm going to bed now, looking for some real input so I can start planning for this! No absurd requests. Likely I'll do something along the lines of a mahogany soloist body with a figured carved top to keep it simple, but I'd like to hear suggestions. Maybe you can peak my interest.

As it would be my first guitar built from scratch I'm definitely expecting this to turn out somewhat shitty but I'm ready to go at it full bore. Thanks guys! When I do start the project, I will be providing a project log so you guys can see the progress.
Well, the first thing you need to realize about making only bodies, is that there is already an endless supply of them. You can get them extremely cheap, in pretty much every shape on ebay.
The only real way to even make a profit is to either do custom work, or do make what isnt already easily available.

Its possible if you use really great woods. But in my opinion, a basic strat style body isnt going to sell. There are just too many of them out there.
My goal is to do custom shapes and designs. I work in one of the best furniture shops in the phoenix area and have access to somewhat cheap exotics. My goal for the fist body is simply to show off what I can do which is why im asking you guys what you'd like to see. I could do an alder soliist body or strat with a figured top for maybe 30$ in materials. As for the rest I plan on doing all finishes and designing them to fit with warmoth necks until I learn to make my own. if someone wants to see their dream body built, just tell me what it is and ill do my best

lets forget about the selling part for now. What would you guys like to see done? Body woods, top wood, pickup config, body shape. Getbcreative if you'd like. I'm looking for a little inspiration.
Quote by Roc8995
Spruce top on a mahogany or korina back on a LP Junior style body

Sounds good except the LP style! I'm not entirely certain I like them too much. I do have an EC1000 though. After I get more suggestions I'll see which ones I like the most.
Quote by Roc8995
Spruce top on a mahogany or korina back on a LP Junior style body

a spruce top on an electric body is a terrible idea. It is WAY too soft. Even with a hard finish it dents.

There are endless wood combinations. Just find what looks the best then. But a regular soloist body is very plain. And like i said, there are millions of other alternatives.
How about taking inspiration from the world of basses like the Warwick Thumb or Cort Curbow?

I think the organic, rounded shape of the Thumb Bass in particular is something you don't see too often in guitars. And I think Explorerbuilder's right; different is more likely the way to go.
Quote by Explorerbuilder
a spruce top on an electric body is a terrible idea. It is WAY too soft. Even with a hard finish it dents.

Works fine for PRS, they make a bunch like that. Carvin does too. It's a little more fragile than most woods, sure, but I wouldn't call it a terrible idea.
Quote by syntheticocean
Sounds good except the LP style! I'm not entirely certain I like them too much. I do have an EC1000 though. After I get more suggestions I'll see which ones I like the most.

Unlike making them for yourself, if you're making them to sell, it's going to be less about what you like and more about what people want.
'It takes 100 guitar players to change a light. One to change the light and 99 to stand around pointing, saying..."Yeah man, look...I can do that too"...'

My gear is in my Profile

Builds & Refurbs
Hondo 780 Deluxe
Gibson Studio
Epi LP100
You can TRY to make Les Paul bodies but you might find yourself surrounded and assulted by Gibson lawyers should you become too successful for Gibson's liking
???
Quote by solidrane
You can TRY to make Les Paul bodies but you might find yourself surrounded and assulted by Gibson lawyers should you become too successful for Gibson's liking

Nah, that isnt true at all. That only applies if you are a major company and mass producing them. Even warmoth still makes Les Paul bodies.
Quote by syntheticocean
Warmoth was sued for the les pauls.

I'd be all for making a mockingbird style body. What woods would you want?
I really couldn't care less about the body wood as long as it's not too heavy but still durable, but a good looking veneer would be awesome. I'm not sure what you're used to working with or what you have access to, of course.

I think we should take this discussion out of this thread though. This isn't a place for business to take place. PM me if this is something you would be interested in doing.

Edit: On that note, I would try to stay away from anything that could be construed as advertising on here, but if you did build threads, that would be awesome. Just keep the advertise-y stuff to your signature to be safe. I know you're no noob to this forum, I just don't want to see any of your threads to be shut down as they have been known to do.
Last edited by ExDementia at Jun 10, 2013,
Quote by ExDementia
I really couldn't care less about the body wood as long as it's not too heavy but still durable, but a good looking veneer would be awesome. I'm not sure what you're used to working with or what you have access to, of course.

I think we should take this discussion out of this thread though. This isn't a place for business to take place. PM me if this is something you would be interested in doing.

Edit: On that note, I would try to stay away from anything that could be construed as advertising on here, but if you did build threads, that would be awesome. Just keep the advertise-y stuff to your signature to be safe. I know you're no noob to this forum, I just don't want to see any of your threads to be shut down as they have been known to do.

At this point I'm not intending to make the guitars for profit. The only 'costs' would be to you guys would be materials and shipping. I'm currently working on a bass for my brother. I don't believe he wants anything elaborate. Its going to simply be an alder body painted black. Quite boring to me which is why I'm down for ideas from you guys.
I'd be interested in some quality mahogany and maple neck blanks long enough to make a neck-through guitar. Also quality body blanks for cheaper than what is available... I'm an aspiring builder as well, but with more of a machining and metal-working background. Sourcing quality lumber without breaking the bank seems to be one of the hardest parts of building guitars...
Quote by ExDementia
Would a veneer and/or flame top be within your abilities? Maybe a natural finish with a stain? I would be interested for sure and I'm sure everyone would love to see some build threads.

A veneer would definitely be within my abilities, but I wouldn't recommend them. The quality overall for a nice 3/4" top would be so much better. I have yet to find a supplier of quality topwoods though. I can find pieces of figured maple fairly easily, but nothing 'bookmatchable'. I'll probably be trying out some designs using exotic woods like Monkey Pod and Figured Walnut.
Quote by syntheticocean
A veneer would definitely be within my abilities, but I wouldn't recommend them. The quality overall for a nice 3/4" top would be so much better. I have yet to find a supplier of quality topwoods though. I can find pieces of figured maple fairly easily, but nothing 'bookmatchable'. I'll probably be trying out some designs using exotic woods like Monkey Pod and Figured Walnut.
Even better. Some burled walnut would be f***ing awesome if you could get your hands on some. From what I've seen, there are plenty of vendors online selling the stuff.

I say veneer for cost reasons alone. A full on top can get expensive depending on the wood.
I'm not overall concerned with costs as long as I make my money back in materials. The guitar I'm building for my brother is going to cost me 40$ to make in wood(Solid Alder). ~20$ in finishing materials. He already bought everything so it isn't costing me anything but time.
Make an Albert Lee style body. It might be too exotic for some people so it would be harder to sell, but if you are building for yourself, it might be a fun experiment. It is smaller and lighter than most designs, so you can do something to make it feel even lighter. Like have it chambered. Or make it with a maple center block to hold the hardware in place and balsa wings. I recently discovered balsa, and it looks like a great and light tonewood, just too soft to hold the bridge and neck.
Quote by terribleguitar
Make an Albert Lee style body. It might be too exotic for some people so it would be harder to sell, but if you are building for yourself, it might be a fun experiment. It is smaller and lighter than most designs, so you can do something to make it feel even lighter. Like have it chambered. Or make it with a maple center block to hold the hardware in place and balsa wings. I recently discovered balsa, and it looks like a great and light tonewood, just too soft to hold the bridge and neck.

I cant believe anybody would consider balsa for a guitar. It is basically sponge. You can break it with your hands. Basswood is pretty dang close to not useable for a guitar, but balsa... balsa is just wood colored foam.