Hi guys. I'm currently using an Ibanez RG 2627 ze prestige an want to replace the emg 707 pickups.
I play metal primary thrash and power metal, the rig I'm using is a Laney Ironheart 120 watt head with 4x12 orange cab and boss ns2 through the fx loop. My 6 string is an Ibanez mtm 100 an I love the Seymour Duncan Mick Thompson signature blackouts purely due to the high treble and rich harmonics. The eq that I use is 10 bass 4 mid 9 treble for rhythm and 7 bass 6 mid 10 treble for lead.
So I'm trying to decide between the emg 60-7X & 81-7X or the Seymour Duncan phase to blackouts, what do you guys think?
Thanks
Dimarzio Crunchlab/liquifire 7 combo
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I have 707/81-7 (not X) combo in my guitar and I really love it.

But the CL/LF combo is great too
Main Rig:

Epiphone MKH Les Paul Custom 7 - Ronda
Ibanez RG8 "Scarlet" - AKA The Rambanez
Fender Strat "Danielle"/"Dani"
Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us...

Purchase list: Jim Root Tele, Jim Root Jazzmaster, MTM20
Thanks for the replys, I like dimarzio and bareknuckle but I'm looking for active pickups. The problem with the 707s is there really bassy and muffled compared to the blackouts but as I've never tried the emg 81 etc I'm not sure what to e there'll put out.
Quote by shredzilla19
Thanks for the replys, I like dimarzio and bareknuckle but I'm looking for active pickups. The problem with the 707s is there really bassy and muffled compared to the blackouts but as I've never tried the emg 81 etc I'm not sure what to e there'll put out.

https://soundcloud.com/zacharyk/mkh-sound-demo

The second bit is the 81-7. I recorded it very quickly and did no post EQ, but it's a lot mroe articulate and biting than the 707.
Main Rig:

Epiphone MKH Les Paul Custom 7 - Ronda
Ibanez RG8 "Scarlet" - AKA The Rambanez
Fender Strat "Danielle"/"Dani"
Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us...

Purchase list: Jim Root Tele, Jim Root Jazzmaster, MTM20
Quote by Charvel1995
https://soundcloud.com/zacharyk/mkh-sound-demo

The second bit is the 81-7. I recorded it very quickly and did no post EQ, but it's a lot mroe articulate and biting than the 707.

You can definitely tell that the 81-7 is a lot brighter than the 707 whats good.
Still unsure though as the blackouts sound really good too.
If you already dig the Blackouts range, perhaps the EMG James Hetfield signature pickups? I've been listening to a few clips of em, they sound fantastic. Certainly not pickups for the EMG haters to be hatin' on.

Massive fan of Duncan Blackouts. I've got AHB-1s in my 7-string Schecter (NGD post coming soon on that one) and a set of the AHB-3 EMTY Mick Thomson actives I was going to put in my Razorback, altho honestly now I don't know if it's worth the hassle, especially considering my Schecter is so damn great.
Schecter Blackjack SLS C-7
Les Paul Studio with Nailbomb / Black Dog BK pups
Razorback Blades V
Axe-FX Ultra
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50
Ableton Live 8 with Nexus, Komplete 6, Predator, Sylenth
Numark NS7FX
Quote by Simple Jack
If you already dig the Blackouts range, perhaps the EMG James Hetfield signature pickups? I've been listening to a few clips of em, they sound fantastic. Certainly not pickups for the EMG haters to be hatin' on.

Massive fan of Duncan Blackouts. I've got AHB-1s in my 7-string Schecter (NGD post coming soon on that one) and a set of the AHB-3 EMTY Mick Thomson actives I was going to put in my Razorback, altho honestly now I don't know if it's worth the hassle, especially considering my Schecter is so damn great.

I didn't realize the James Hetfield signature pickups came in 7 sting? The Mick Thomson emty pickups are amazing I've got them in my Ibanez mtm 100 and love them that's why I'm leaning more towards the ahb 1s for my 7 string.
Have you tried running your current pickups at 18v (just run two 9v cells in series)? I did this with my old Ibby 7621, sounded great

Failing that, yeah, Blackouts. Have them in my Siggery... IMMENSE
Last edited by Wesbanez at Jun 8, 2013,
Quote by Wesbanez
Have you tried running your current pickups at 18v (just run two 9v cells in series)? I did this with my old Ibby 7621, sounded great

Failing that, yeah, Blackouts. Have them in my Siggery... IMMENSE

No I haven't tried that, to be honest I didn't realize you could.
I read in a thread on "sevenstring.org" that apparently the blackout phase 2 pickups are better in reverse, so the alnico neck pickup is In the bridge and the ceramic bridge is in the neck. So then you get a brighter more aggressive bridge tone and a warmer smoother neck.
What do you guys think of that?