First, lemme start out by saying yes, I used the search bar and found threads pertaining to my issue, but none of them seemed to be exactly what I'm experiencing or seemed to have some up with a concrete solution....

I have a valveking 112 and its my first tube amp. When I turn it up past 4 with the gain boost on I get a horrible squeal. Its not caused by the guitar because it happens with other instruments and without anything plugged in. I've read in some threads that "valvekings just do that..." which I have a hard time accepting because then why would anyone buy an amp that can't even go past half volume?

Also, I've read that it could be a bad tube. I don't have any spares to check and won't for another week, but I just replaced the tubes a little over a month ago with groove tubes all around (not the best choice but I'm a tube noob and got talked into it guitar center...oh well) I do understand its possible to get a bad tube though.

Also, I've read that if your tubes glow blue, they can be bad, but my power tubes have had a medium blue glow since I put them in. Does this sound like a tube issue? or maybe some component that interacts with the tubes directly? I haven't had the chance to study the schematic for anything that would look like it would produce internal feedback...

I really don't want to take it to a tech. I have an electronics degree so I shouldn't have to. I'm just not too familiar with tubes and sound equipment electronics.

I'm sure people get tired of this crap being asked...Sorry for being a tube noob
i play drums and guitar :
Take a pencil and with the eraser tap on the preamp tubes with the amp on. If it makes a weird noise, the tube is microphonic. Then just get new preamp tubes.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
I've heard of that. I'll definitely give it a try later. thanks for the reply.
Valveking owner for 8-years.

I've read the blue glowing of the tubes is normal, so don't worry about that.

Try turning the reverb off & see if it happens. The amp basically has a reverb tank (spring in a box) in the chassis of the amp. It's a small rectangular box in the bottom of the amp. When your amp gets to high volumes it can cause this reverb pot to unintentionally vibrate & make a horrible feedback noise.

The other possible cause is a a preamp tubes has gone microphonic. Turn the amp on loud & tap all three of the preamp tubes. Remember to remove the cover.

Are you getting any horrible pingy noises?
Quote by AndyGray
Valveking owner for 8-years.

I've read the blue glowing of the tubes is normal, so don't worry about that.

Try turning the reverb off & see if it happens. The amp basically has a reverb tank (spring in a box) in the chassis of the amp. It's a small rectangular box in the bottom of the amp. When your amp gets to high volumes it can cause this reverb pot to unintentionally vibrate & make a horrible feedback noise.

The other possible cause is a a preamp tubes has gone microphonic. Turn the amp on loud & tap all three of the preamp tubes. Remember to remove the cover.

Are you getting any horrible pingy noises?

The reverb tank was the first thing I checked. I'm at work right now, I'm definitely going to try to see if it s a microphonic tube. Thanks
well one of my preamp tubes wasn't lighting up at all, so I'm going to assume thats the culprit. I guess I'll pick up a replacement on monday.

Now, I know that they say you should replace all tubes at once but they are only a little over a month old...so would it be ok to just replace the one since they aren't old tubes?
Quote by bluehawk15620
well one of my preamp tubes wasn't lighting up at all, so I'm going to assume thats the culprit. I guess I'll pick up a replacement on monday.

Now, I know that they say you should replace all tubes at once but they are only a little over a month old...so would it be ok to just replace the one since they aren't old tubes?

Preamp tubes are a different animal.
IMO, replacing a single preamp tube is ok.
Its the power tubes that should all be replaced when needed.