Hey all,

So, I've finally decided it's time to quit putting it off, and look into a new tube set for my ENGL Fireball head. While I haven't had a tube fail on me, per se, the same ones have been in there for awhile now (a bit over 3 years), and I suppose I'm doing it for preventive maintenance/slight tone tweaking. I did notice that I can now get the amp to feed back at lower volumes than it used to, so I'd imagine maybe those pre-amp tube have taken enough of a beating from ridiculous amount of gain

Anyways, I'm seeing if maybe some other ENGL owners here can confirm what I've heard so far? I've been told that either Tung-Sol 5881's, or the winged SED 6L6's are killer choices for an ENGL (I've heard even more good on the Tung-Sols). I've also been told that pretty much any high quality 12AX7 will work fine for the pre-amp, due to how much gain the amp has/compressed sounding it gets.

Currently, it has Tube Amp Doctor 6L6's, and a random assortment of different 12AX7's in it. Tone-wise, I don't want to change things too much, but it would be nice if I could ever-so-slightly tame the amp a bit in the upper-mid/presence frequencies, and perhaps add a bit more low-mid grunt. I know a good EQ pedal will do more here, but the right tubes seem like a good place to start too.

Thanks!
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
JJs

also get at least one JAN Phillips 5751. I can't recommend these enough.

PS: Eurotubes is based out of Oregon I believe and they sell nothing but JJs so maybe drop Bob a note but otherwise I recommend you get with Doug at dougstubes.com or Laura at thevalvequeen.com. I got my SED =C= from her but damn they are pricy.

If you got the coin though get NOS for your preamp.
It's surprising to hear what a tube swap can do with an amp, even when the tubes aren't necessarily "bad".
Is this the 60 or 100w Fireball?
mig28 - It's the 60 watt version.

Thanks to all for your input so far. There's one more 12Ax7 I'm curious if any of you have experience with - The Mullard reissues? I mostly hear good things about them, and that they're a bit darker than a Tung-Sol, but brighter than a JJ.

EDIT - Based on more research, it appears that Tung-Sol 5881's supposedly dissipate about 25 watts, whereas various 6L6 tubes, including the SED, are said to dissipate about 30. Since the Fireball is a 60-watt amp, would it be a bad idea to use the 5881's? Would the amp be putting too much voltage through them?
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

Last edited by FlightofIcarus at Jun 8, 2013,
SED for the power section if you have the money. JJ are not bad at all.

I had a quad of the Tung Sol 5881 reissue in my old amp and I liked them, but look at the plate voltages required buy your amp. I believe the Tung Sol are 300ish plate volt and most 6L6 amps are 500ish. They will work, but you will burn through them very fast.

If you are talking about the Tung Sol 6L6 STR then you will be fine.

The New Mullard 12ax7 are actually very good for a new tube. I have several and they pair well with JJ ecc83/803's.

I get tubes from www.eurotubes.com they have all JJ tubes

www.tubedepot I have only ordered from them 1 time, but very fast and well packed and matched tubes
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Valve queen has a good rep.

I use tube depot Becase most of my orders are bundled with parts.

Watch which preamp tubes you use if you have a cathode follower. Some tubes shit themselves and say not for use in CF.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Quote by R45VT
Watch which preamp tubes you use if you have a cathode follower. Some tubes shit themselves and say not for use in CF.
I can't seem to find out if the Fireball 60 has one, despite my best search efforts. All I can really seem to find out through searching which tube slot is what, is the following..

V1 + V2 = Power section
V3 = Main input
V4 + V5 = Gain stages
V6 = Phase inverter

For amps that do have a cathode follower, is it somehow tied into the gain stages? Or would it be labled as such?
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

I couldn't find a user manual in English but from what I could tell there is no cathode follower

I have not tried one but I hear the Mullard reissues are made in Britian and not that awesome. I also hear they are dark like JJs. I'd just get JJs.

I mean, get a JJ, a Mullard, a JAN Phillips 5751, a Tung Sol and something else and just experiment. You'll be fine. If you are going to go crazy on preamp tubes then get some NOS tubes like RCAs or Telefunkens or more JAN Phillips.

I'd just get JJ power tubes too

PS: I can't tell but is your amp's bias adjustable?