hey all,
im looking to buy myself a new amp, and need some advice. I am looking for a tube amp, I am a jazz guitarist so a good clean tone is a must, but i also enjoy playing jazz with a bit of gain, such as john scofield or others, so a good warm gain tone is preferred, not looking for any heavy metal distortion, but something light. I have been playing a marshall mg for the past few years and its really not doing me any justice. any advice on brands you can give me will be very appreciated.

Thanks!
i would say my budget is maximum $1000, new or used does not matter, ive considered the jc 120 but its so big and bulky it would be impossible to move around on my own
How about the DV Mark Frank Gambale? It's $150 above your budget but you might be able to find one used.
John Scofield plays an old Vox AC30 and uses an old Proco Rat for his distortion. Maybe a Vox AC30 or a Fender Deluxe Reverb with a Wampler Ecstasy/Euphoria or Hermida Zendrive would do the trick. Something else that's worth looking into might be an Egnater Tweaker 40. It has very nice clean tones and you can achieve some very nice and dynamic smooth overdrive tones that aren't too much.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Last edited by sg4ever at Jun 7, 2013,
someone mentioned a Classic 30, but a Classic 50 would be a good choice too. Its got massive headroom(good luck getting it to break up without killing everyone else in the band). They take pedals well, and the crunch channel they have is great for subtle crunch to hard rock crunch. Some people complain that the crunch sounds boxy but it doesnt to my ears if you dont have it maxed out.

priced around 870$
Peavey JSX could be great, just don't use the Ultra channel.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
If you dont mind carrying around a very heavy amp, Fender Twin Reverbs sound beautiful and have HUGE headroom. It comes with footswitchable tube spring reverb, which is really great, and tube vibrato. Imo its among the best clean tones and it takes pedal well. You have to get one used to fit in your budget, though. You would have to use ebay or something. ie
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fender-Vintage-Reissue-65-Twin-Reverb-Guitar-Amp-Excellent-Condition-/221236914654?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3382bf69de
Last edited by yousef213 at Jun 8, 2013,
on the cheaper side but an option would be the Peavey Valveking. decent clean channel and works great for light distortion. would leave you money for a speaker swap if u feel it's needed and maybe a pedal or two.
His budget is $1,000 maximum and he doesn't want something bulky. A Fender Deluxe Reverb with a pedal would do beautifully, or he can crank it and get wonderful natural distortion from the breakup. I still stand by the Egnater Tweaker 40 suggestion. Just the right amount of clean headroom if he so desires and capable of mellow distortion options for fusion lead lines. I would also suggest a Traynor YCV40WR. Good jazz worthy cleans and light smooth overdrive when the lead channel is backed off.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5