I know I've been making new threads on here recently, but a different situation has come up, and I need more advice.

Some things in my life have come up that require quite a bit of cash, so I now cannot afford the Vengeance that I wanted. However, I still want/need an amp with a lot of versatility.

Let me remind you guys that I DO NOT have a guitar speaker cab, so a head/preamp that doesn't emulate a guitar cab is very much out of the question now.

My budget is now about $600.
I play a lot of instrumental music, but I also like to focus on everything from metal to blues on occasion.
My current gear is a Schecter Omen-8 with DiMarzio DiActivator 8's in it, an ENGL e530 preamp, and a general, stereo power amp with general PA speakers. I also have a Boss Compressor and an Ibanez OD. The OD is the ToneLok version of the TS.

Personally, I was back to looking at getting a POD HD Pro/500. Either that, or sticking with the preamp that I've got, getting a tube power amp and a 1x12 speaker cab such as a Peavey Classic 50-50 with a cheap 1x12. I'm sure I could find either under $600, but I'd like some advice.
How about a simple 2/4x12 cab, so it goes like

Guitar --> e530 --> power amp --> cab
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
How about a simple 2/4x12 cab, so it goes like

Guitar --> e530 --> power amp --> cab

Because it's too big of a power amp too hook into a guitar cab. At 8 ohms, I think it's around 300W. I suppose if you can point me to a cab that can handle this, I'll surely look into it, but personally, I dislike the sound of most 4x12 cabs.

Honestly, until this was brought up, I never even thought about it.

EDIT: It's actually 380W at 8 ohms stereo.

EDIT2: The reason I'd rather have something like a Classic 50-50 is because, even at 380W, I can't get it loud enough without some really nasty distortion coming from the PA. I was hoping that there would be other options other than the 100W Peavey, though. I've had one, and I loved it, but I'd rather have something more like 50W tube mono.
Last edited by The.new.guy at Jun 7, 2013,
My guess is that you should find yourself a cab with high-efficency speakers and hook the PA into that.

The best deal I found was the Harley Benton 212/412 Vintage.
They go for $270 and $460, and are loaded with Celestion V30, which have an efficency of 100db for 1W @1m, which is high for a guitar-aimed speaker.
This way you'll probably be able not to crank the PA too much - about a third for the 212 and two thirds for the 412, so you don't get that nasty distortion.

If you're unsure about that, just go to your local musical instruments retailer and try some V30 loaded cabs with that configuration.

If you still don't like it, I suggest you to buy a 212 anyway, for it kinda spreads the sound a lot better than a 112, and then buy the the cheap guitar head you prefer.
On a budget, I'd go for some bugera head if you feel lucky (it seems that a lot of stuff ships not-really-perfectly-working), like the 6260/6262, a copies of the 6505/5150, or maybe a Jet City JCA50H.

If you don't like that either, I would still not buy a guitar power amplifier for they still are amplifiers, but being made for guitarists they tend to be pretty overpriced.
I would go for a decent tube power amp of at least 50W per channel for a 112, and 100W per channel for a 212.
Though single guitar speakers don't usually take that much power, you never know when you'll upgrade to another 112/212 to use it with the one you bought at first.

Wow I wrote a lot XP
Hope I've been helpful : )
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.