Let's say I started writing poetry like 3 months ago, and I have been writing music since I took my guitar for the first time.
But lately, I have a problem - there is something that keeps me from creating music. I have had some relationship problems (I'm 16 lel) and whenever I try to write something, I get the compulsion to write something that the girl who left me will like. Problem is, I don't have a freakin' idea what does she like, and everything I write sounds...insufficient to me. So I'm actually wasting a lot of creative energy on nothing, and I don't produce any works that satisfy me.
However, I have lately read about Robert Fripp's "Guitar Circle" and the school they had in it; one of the points of that school was learning how to "get your ego out of the way of creating music". Though I don't have the slightest idea how to do that.

Has anyone of you ever had similar problem? How can I control the ego?

(inb4 just control it dammit; just write; just [anything])
Quote by ChemicalFire
You get my first ever lolstack

The image in my head is just too funny for words at this point

Aw yeah.
just [anything] bro
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Quote by zackk
stop being 16, brah. That will help.

this is a fantastic idea, ceasing to be 16 ought to fix you right up
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
lol smok weed 420 lol.

Seriously though I'm a little confused to what you mean? Is it just writers block? If you're not satisfied maybe you should ask yourself what made you start writing poetry and music in the first place? What makes you happy about it?
Quote by slayer_rule_\m/
lol smok weed 420 lol.

this is pretty good advice
Quote by korinaflyingv
multiple projects? it's nice to have one outlet to try to do things according to some ever-evolving ideal you set for yourself (super serious and profound orchestral black avant-garde metal!), and one experimental/throwaway effort where you don't limit yourself.

that's the ego you're talking about, right? trying to crank out some stuff that adheres to some ideal you set on yourself for no good reason?
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by slayer_rule_\m/
lol smok weed 420 lol.

Seriously though I'm a little confused to what you mean? Is it just writers block? If you're not satisfied maybe you should ask yourself what made you start writing poetry and music in the first place? What makes you happy about it?

Not quite writer's block - I frequently come up with a nice lyrics or melody, it's not objectively bad, but it just doesn't sound what I want it to sound like... It's like I want to make a perfect melody but I can't, because I keep making some melodies that don't fit my current mood. I guess I don't even know what's going on
Quote by ChemicalFire
You get my first ever lolstack

The image in my head is just too funny for words at this point

Aw yeah.
Write about what is actually encompassing your life instead of an inefficient girl. As soon as you find personal meaning you find ability to produce it well.
Can't believe how strange it is to be anything at all.
If your playing style is anything like buckethead, she's probably not going to like it
Last edited by blake1221 at Jun 7, 2013,
Quote by TheNameOfNoone
Not quite writer's block - I frequently come up with a nice lyrics or melody, it's not objectively bad, but it just doesn't sound what I want it to sound like... It's like I want to make a perfect melody but I can't, because I keep making some melodies that don't fit my current mood. I guess I don't even know what's going on

I can relate to you 100%. Sometimes that's the way it is, sometime's it's hard to be creative. But then it could be a case of finding out why exactly can't you reproduce the sounds in your head? Maybe you should listen to a few different artists that inspire you and try and work out what they do?
Quote by blake1221
If you're playing style is anything like buckethead, she's probably not going to like it

if i wrote musicl ike that id wear a bucket on my head to hide my identity as well
Quote by TheNameOfNoone

Why are you trying to fit melodies to your current mood in the first place? Secondly, if the melodies don't satisfy, experiment with adding accidentals.

Oh, and there's no such thing as a "perfect melody". You'll never be satisfied if your goal is perfection.

Quote by macashmack
Stop writing about exes, no one wants another Taylor Swift.
I doubt TS is as pretty as Swift, so he couldn't get away with it anyway...
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Jun 7, 2013,
Take a break for a little while. If i have trouble coming up with something, i sink myself into another activity, then when the time is right, i just have a good guitar session and end up writing either a full song, or parts of several songs.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
Yea I'd like to write amazing perfect songs every time too but its just not in the cards.. Sounds like your trying to get all your ex's back.. Go out there and screw everything that moves.
Write some angsty screamo songs.
"Now I'm free fallin, yeah head first, red hat to the back like Fred Durst" - Lil Wayne
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
You'll never be satisfied if your goal is perfection.

want to stress this
Quote by korinaflyingv
Don't think what you write. Write what you think so you can stop thinking and write more.