just curious is all.
and what do you plan to do? originals? covers? what kinda music? solo or band?
i don't ever really plan on making money off anything i do. not that i'm one of those all-music-should-be-perfectly-free-please-take-my-art people, but i'm mostly interested in dabbling in experimental rap, avant garde vocals, lounge music, solo bass and black metal

but that's the fun of it, i guess.
modes are a social construct
I'm currently working on my Master's. So, I'd like to write for films, teach in a university, and gig.
2010 Gibson SG Honeyburst
I'm a musician, a composer, and a theory nut. Pleased to meet you! Check out my websites and drop me a line.

"The essence of all beautiful art, all great art, is gratitude. " ~ Freidrich Nietzche

My Website
Probably just playing jazz tunes in bars (I play mostly piano but I also dabble in guitar, vocals, harmonica and violin.). Not much more inless I can find some really good musicians to make a band with.
Quote by Hail
i don't ever really plan on making money off anything i do. not that i'm one of those all-music-should-be-perfectly-free-please-take-my-art people, but i'm mostly interested in dabbling in experimental rap, avant garde vocals, lounge music, solo bass and black metal

but that's the fun of it, i guess.

why should it be free? why should other peoples time be more valuable than yours?
playing music does take hard work at times if you're good. work.
Quote by Angusman60
I'm currently working on my Master's. So, I'd like to write for films, teach in a university, and gig.

just gig on the side. that's cool.
I mostly want to teach, but of course doing stuff like giging and writing and such aswell.

I'm in my last year in high school, studying music, and after that i will be going to college for music, studying musical education.

I like all aspects of music, as long as i can make a living doing something with music i am happy.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Last edited by Sickz at Jun 7, 2013,
As far as possible. It'd be nice to make a solid living ($70,000+) off of just music; playing music I enjoy/gigging and teaching GOOD students.

I used to be in the 'as long as Im doing music, Im happy' camp, but the reality of actually doing it changed my mind. As long as Im doing the music I LOVE, Im happy, and a lot of a time making a living with music and doing that don't go hand in hand. I dont have to make my sole living off of it to be content.

I've been teaching for a bit over a year now and have another one to go before I start school and I can tell you one thing I've learnt about teaching; Teaching bad/unwilling/not interested students is just a terrible, soul crushing experience after a while. The money is good, but not good enough to live off of at least not where I live. Its a great part time job but the hours are quite flakey and inconsitent (this is true for ME maybe not for you)

I'm planning on pursuing a degree in a more stable field, keeping gigs/good students on the side. If the opportunity arises to advance my career I'll take it but this way I'm covered because ultimately needs (car, house, insurance, food, etc.) outweigh just doing what you're most passionate about. I'm not making enough money right now and thats just the bottom line.

Its also about where I want to put my university money. I'd rather not be spending $30,000+ on a music degree as I already have a music diploma and $30,000+ spend on another degree could bring in $45,000-$65,000/ year starting. Plenty of money to fund my music habit and keep me stress free playing the music I enjoy.

Paying off $30,000 with a music only lifestyle is a real drag as well and will take a while unless you are very very good and very lucky.

My 2 cents:

Be smart. You dont NEED a music degree to play music. Go study privately with great teachers spend your money there. You will get better faster. Get out there and PLAY. Get on the bandstand. NOTHING beats experience. How many of your favorite musicians have degrees in music?

If you're like me and dont have a huge amount of cash, get a degree in something to pay the bills (unless you like minimum wage) in the mean while so you have time to hone your skills and 'make it'.

Music degrees are very educational and worthwhile in many ways but they are not a smart investment when you are dealing with your bread and butter.
Quote by The Spoon
Unless you're sure she likes you, telling her you like her has a 110% chance of failing.

But hey, at least you have a 10% chance of absolutely guaranteeing failure.
Last edited by British_Steal at Jun 7, 2013,
I intend to follow it to some degree in conjunction with visual art. I'm at my best when I'm doing free improv or the bwoooo so I doubt I'd do too well in popular circumstances.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
I'd really love to make it big. I have heard all of the stories of "touring is not what it's all cracked up to be" but I want to get there just for the time on stage. Especially with the lyrics I write, I make them really personal and I use gigs as a way of getting stuff off my chest and venting. Ideally I'd like to be touring as part of a metalcore band and as a solo musician playing acoustic rock and if I could have written some songs for other artists or events or anything like that then thats just a bit extra that would be nice. I wouldnt mind if people downloaded my music (obviously I'd prefer if people bought it) I would just hope that 'd make up the difference form gigs.

It's nice to dream I dont really think this will happen. I am starting uni in a couple of months studying Auido Engineering and Music so hopefully something will happen there.
As far as possible.
I don't want the money, I mean, I wouldn't throw it away, but It'd be enough let's say 2000€ each month and being able to play the music I love to people that love what I play.
Unluckly I started playing late in a generation of ultra-technical and very "preparated" guitar players...but I can still dream.

If I don't, I hope to have the skills at least to become one of that teachers that people talk about as the really good ones, and I hope to find some students like the ones that you know, you say "yeah, the girl/boy has the skill to make it big one day!".
I Keep It ****ing Crust.
Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
I've been teaching music for almost two decades now and have not thought of how far I would take my music career. Honestly, teaching wouldn't give you much (in terms of money) compare to performing or gigs. So whether you're teaching or studying, it's always best to have gigs on the side... and that could eventually lead to bigger opportunities .. more pay of course.
I'd love to make a living playing music. But living in a big music town and being in numerous gigging bands I know how difficult it is.

My goals for music right now is just finding time and desire to practice. A few years ago, I was wanting or expecting to make lots of money.
Copland gave Scriabin shit for incorporating his new musical language in outdated forms like sonatas. So my goal is to take his idiom in the realm of metal. That community needs an ivoragation of new musical ideas
I think that would be a logical step
Quote by sweetdude3000
Copland gave Scriabin shit for incorporating his new musical language in outdated forms like sonatas. So my goal is to take his idiom in the realm of metal. That community needs an ivoragation of new musical ideas
I think that would be a logical step

Good luck! Glad to see another Scriabin fan on these boards
Quote by dog_style
why should it be free? why should other peoples time be more valuable than yours?
playing music does take hard work at times if you're good. work.

are you mentally ill
modes are a social construct
I'm happy playing a few gigs here and there with my band, but my career is going to force me to move to a different city sooner rather than later, and I don't see myself getting another original band together. Before that happens, I would love to do a tour, though. Just to know what it's like to load up the van and play every night.
Long-term, I'll probably keep recording my songs at home just for fun, and hopefully I'll be able to get a cover band up and running to play some bars every now and again. I gave up on my rock star ambitions long ago.
I think we'd all like to be rockstars and such, but at some point reality hits home that you've missed the boat.

Which is fine. Ideally I'd like to have a decent local following and be a casual session guy on the side.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
I would like to note that "making it big" is not what it seems. I recently interviewed two musicians who meet most definitions of having made it big. One of them had signed 2 major label deals in the United States, had recorded multiple albums, toured with big names, all that stuff. The other had played arenas, done the Warped Tour multiple times (and not on the local stage), had music videos on MuchMusic. The reason I interviewed them was because I was writing an article on musicians who have to work day jobs. Despite all their success, both of them needed jobs to stay afloat financially.
Luckily for both of them, their day jobs were still in music - one does sound and manages the rental department at a large music store, while the other had opened his own recording studio (much of his income, it should be noted, comes not from producing rock bands, but from doing video game and commercial voiceovers).
So even if your plan is to "make it big," the sad thing about careers in rock music is that it's still not enough to pay the bills.
If you want to hit it big commercially with a major record label, I noticed a few things from personal friend of mine and how it can work but not necessarily for anyone.. Over a decade of experience, go through about 6 different band changes, get your name out there by living in the right location, contacts, create something simple, catchy, melodic, but do it in a slightly unorthodox manner with certain instruments or beats, and have a unique image/persona/showmanship/stage presence. You hear all these things from others, but when you see it yourself and unfold in real life, it's eye opening.
Quote by Erc
Good luck! Glad to see another Scriabin fan on these boards

Same here! I like playing his stuff as well. I've listened to almost his entire output.

I suppose I was only half joking about the Scriabin/rock thing.. His music has an eerie meditative quality behind it. I am not sure those harmonies and pacing would work so well at all in a prog rock outfit...but it could be cool to borrow some of his melodies, as well as from others in classical like lyapunov, Rachmaninoff, Rameau, Liszt and others. Most of these neo classical guys have a fixation on Vivaldi, Bach and Paganinni.

I am taking a few steps backward with the music I played years . But I pretty much took up guitar to forget and jam with other musicians.
Quote by British_Steal

My 2 cents:

Be smart. You dont NEED a music degree to play music. Go study privately with great teachers spend your money there. You will get better faster. Get out there and PLAY. Get on the bandstand. NOTHING beats experience. How many of your favorite musicians have degrees in music?

If you're like me and dont have a huge amount of cash, get a degree in something to pay the bills (unless you like minimum wage) in the mean while so you have time to hone your skills and 'make it'.

Music degrees are very educational and worthwhile in many ways but they are not a smart investment when you are dealing with your bread and butter.

I agree with this 100%. I have friends who majored in music performance. While they are damn good on their instruments, they are in massive amounts of debt and some are even going back to school. Seeing that made me change my mind in majoring in music.

My goal as a musician is just to be noticed as a good musician in my area. I would love to play in a band that would be loved in our area, and even go on a mini-tour with another local band. And I also want to become the best guitarist that I can be, both in songwriting and technical ability.
would love to perform a naked stage show in front of white house that would be considered to be the best one
Quote by sweetdude3000
Same here! I like playing his stuff as well. I've listened to almost his entire output.

I suppose I was only half joking about the Scriabin/rock thing.. His music has an eerie meditative quality behind it. I am not sure those harmonies and pacing would work so well at all in a prog rock outfit...but it could be cool to borrow some of his melodies, as well as from others in classical like lyapunov, Rachmaninoff, Rameau, Liszt and others. Most of these neo classical guys have a fixation on Vivaldi, Bach and Paganinni.

I am taking a few steps backward with the music I played years . But I pretty much took up guitar to forget and jam with other musicians.

Yeah, it would be nice for some more metal musicians to steal some of those interesting post-romantic melodies (op 42 no 5 comes to mind). Only one i haven't heard in that list is rameau, but that's probably because I can hardly ever stand french music (except for Couperin).

I actually do play some scriabin (most of the easier etudes from op 12 and 42 no 4) but his music is TOUGH! Very unique though. I highly recommend you listen to some Feinberg if you like Scriabin. (or even the Boris Pasternak sonata thats on youtube) He was incredibly influential in the Russian post-romantic scene.
Quote by Xpl0r
It's nice to dream I dont really think this will happen. I am starting uni in a couple of months studying Auido Engineering and Music so hopefully something will happen there.

i guess it's good to a cynical to a degree so that the fall isn't as hard in case you don't make it.
as long as the cynical part is holding you back.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
There's no such thing as making it. You work for your entire life just like everyone else.

if you love your job then you have made it. especially if it makes you rich.
Quote by Erc
Yeah, it would be nice for some more metal musicians to steal some of those interesting post-romantic melodies (op 42 no 5 comes to mind). Only one i haven't heard in that list is rameau, but that's probably because I can hardly ever stand french music (except for Couperin).

I actually do play some scriabin (most of the easier etudes from op 12 and 42 no 4) but his music is TOUGH! Very unique though. I highly recommend you listen to some Feinberg if you like Scriabin. (or even the Boris Pasternak sonata thats on youtube) He was incredibly influential in the Russian post-romantic scene.

Cool.. yea I am familiar with those works. I have heard Feinberg before, I'll look into him more.

His music is beastly. You have some good chops. He's kind of like psychedelic Chopin with balls. It takes a lot of time and patience to play his music right.

I think he is a good example, among others, true muscianship and what some guitarists should listen to and learn to see how a master creates an art. That is , not confined to a particular scale, creating a new tonal and harmonic language, distinctive style.

Stealing some of these ideas from composers and using them in rock in a more straightforward manner could blow peoples minds.. little do they know what else exists out there.
I don't know, gain some underground popularity and do a few small tours around america I guess.

Freelance musician stuff; studio work, songwriting, teaching, composing. Really anything to keep life interesting.
I wanna hit it big. Of course i do.. Who doesn't want to stand in front of a huge crowd, doing what your are most passionate about, and just loving every second. I haven't been playing guitar for very long. You could say im a newb. But im alright, and im only getting better! I am a great songwriter (imho and people tell me i am as well) and good singer. If i could just live off of the music, then it would be more than enough. I dont need all the money, just enough to get by. I dream about it, i work hard, and i write lots of song, so i do believe that it will be a reality.. Just being able to survive by just playing my music.. Maybe some day teaching guitar to someone would be and extra income.. Thats just me anyway