Hi all,

I have an Epiphone G400 and a Jet City JCA 2112RC which I've had for about a year. I play rock and alternative, but because my amp only really does that style of music and only has one channel, I have no good tones for when I want to play anything heavier.

I don't have enough money for a new guitar or amp, as I only have around £80, so is this the best deal for me? I want to play stuff like Avenged Sevenfold/ Alexisonfire/ August Burns Red etc. The pedal looks in more or less perfect condition (I looked at it today), but I'll try and get some reassurances about its condition from him. Should I take him up on the offer or save my money for something better?

Cheers
i haven't tried it but I'm not sure it's that well-regarded.

do you want to be able to set up your amp clean and then use pedals? or are you willing to set up your amp fairly distorted and roll back your guitar's volume for clean(ish) tones?

there are no right and wrong answers. that being said, with a nice fairly high gain tube amp like the jet city, the latter answer is the right answer.

i'd get an od pedal and use it as a boost. on the cheap, the digitech bad monkey and screamin blues are pretty good- the bad monkey is a glorified tubescreamer, so lots of mids, and the screamin blues is a glorified boss blues driver, so it's a lot more transparent. You could make a case for having and using both (I know i do) and even both would be well under budget (thomann sells them for about £25 a pop, or you can get them in the UK for around £30).

if you can still find one (you'd have to go used) the version 1 danelectro cool cat transparent overdrive was a timmy clone and it's killer. Don't pay too much for it, though, as you can get a real timmy for $129, and the digitech screamin blues isn't much worse and is pretty cheap and readily available.

the new v2 cool cat transparent overdrive supposedly has a different circuit. It may well sound pretty good, too, but i haven't tried it.

if you want a different tone that your jet city doesn't really do, a distortion pedal might be worth considering as well/instead (depending on budget).

The other thing i'd say is, heavier tones really benefit from having a good speaker. Stick an eminence v12 in there (~£50) and that'll help a lot, too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jun 7, 2013,
Quote by Dave_Mc
i haven't tried it but I'm not sure it's that well-regarded.

do you want to be able to set up your amp clean and then use pedals? or are you willing to set up your amp fairly distorted and roll back your guitar's volume for clean(ish) tones?

there are no right and wrong answers. that being said, with a nice fairly high gain tube amp like the jet city, the latter answer is the right answer.

i'd get an od pedal and use it as a boost. on the cheap, the digitech bad monkey and screamin blues are pretty good- the bad monkey is a glorified tubescreamer, so lots of mids, and the screamin blues is a glorified boss blues driver, so it's a lot more transparent. You could make a case for having and using both (I know i do) and even both would be well under budget (thomann sells them for about £25 a pop, or you can get them in the UK for around £30).

if you can still find one (you'd have to go used) the version 1 danelectro cool cat transparent overdrive was a timmy clone and it's killer. Don't pay too much for it, though, as you can get a real timmy for $129, and the digitech screamin blues isn't much worse and is pretty cheap and readily available.

the new v2 cool cat transparent overdrive supposedly has a different circuit. It may well sound pretty good, too, but i haven't tried it.

if you want a different tone that your jet city doesn't really do, a distortion pedal might be worth considering as well/instead (depending on budget).

The other thing i'd say is, heavier tones really benefit from having a good speaker. Stick an eminence v12 in there (~£50) and that'll help a lot, too.

Wow, thanks for such a comprehensive answer! I'll look into the stuff you mentioned. I'm a bit of a newbie with guitar gear but would an OD pedal give me a heavy enough tone? Just listening to some stuff on youtube, would it be that I might need a distortion pedal instead? I only really need a pedal for stuff thats too heavy for my amp (though I suppose I could get both an od and distortion pedal if I can fork out the cash )
Would you have any distortion pedal recommendations?

Thanks very much for your help
no problem

an od pedal has plenty of gain if you use it to push an already pretty distorted tube amp- you're not really using the pedal's own distortion, you're using its ability to push the amp harder (i.e. its level boost, so you're using it like a pseudo-clean boost).

you set the drive/gain on the pedal to 0 and the level pretty high (max it out, normally, but obviously you can set it to taste if you don't need as much boost as that), and then set the tone to taste. if that's not enough gain you can then raise the drive/gain control a little.

don't do that into a clean amp or you'll blow your ears out

also for extra lulz you can do that with two od pedals. say have one on for your rhythm tone and then kick in another one for lead. that's why i like doing it with a tubescreamer-type pedal in combination with a more transparent one- i use the transparent one for rhythm and the middier tubescreamer-style pedal for leads. EDIT: just to clarify, the reason for having two od pedals is that you can set the gain on the amp a bit lower, meaning it should theoretically be easier to roll back on your guitar's volume control to a cleaner tone when you need cleans.

there's nothing to stop you getting a distortion as well (other than budget, lol). Depends on what you want it for- again i normally prefer using a lower gain distortion pedal (so nothing too heavy, say a rat, crunchbox, ds1 or something like that) and then hitting the front of that with an overdrive pedal for heavier tones as it gives you more options and (IMO) sounds better and feels more amplike. But not everyone agrees, I know matt round here hates stacking drive pedals (and he knows more about gear than I do ).

a rat is pretty good, and pretty versatile. the mooer clone (black secret) is pretty nice. You can get some good deals on them from china, but obviously that's a bit of a risk and if anything goes wrong you're in trouble. here in the UK they're normally about £50. For less, the joyo crunch distortion, high gain distortion and hot plexi are pretty nice- though the hot plexi doesn't have enough distortion unless you boost it with an OD as i said above, and confusingly the high gain distortion (which is a marshall shredmaster clone) isn't actually that high gain, the crunch distortion (crunchbox clone) maybe has more gain/compression, though probably sounds a little more classic.

actually the riot clone might be the one to go for, but i haven't tried it (US dream i think it's called).

personally i'd try the OD route used as a boost first, assuming you dial in a fair bit of dirt into your amp.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jun 7, 2013,
The OD will push your amp to work harder, so if you use your amp dirty it will make it dirtier.
Metal Muffs are alright, I used to own one, (bought and sold for £40), it's fun to mess around with and there's plenty of tweaking to be done.
If you wanna go cheap again, Danelectro FAB metal, literally like £15. Again, I used to have one of these but it died after about a year and a half of heavy use. And they sound great considering the cost.
What sort of bands/songs do you like the tone of the guitars in?
Silverburst
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah, what Dave said.

Also, I just did a quick check on the Metal Muff on ebay & most of the completed listings finished between £30 & £40 including P&P, so even if there weren't better options out there you could have got a better deal than you were being offered.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I'd say turbo rat it actually works well as a boost or light od.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Tubescreamer/Overdrive all the way. I know it has already been stated just reiterating the point. On another note, I have found that rarely will any pedal do metal well, they are just substitutes that leave you desiring more. Tube amp distortion is the way to go, and many times an OD/TS will more than suffice.

On topic, I had a metal muff at one point and it was very "meh."
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
I have a Metal Muff and it's great for certain things but not so much for others. can't be used as an effective boost like an overdrive. for metal sounds of the 80s and 90s it's great not so sure on the more modern stuff. as dave mentioned perhaps an overdrive would be a better option for your needs. look at the Digitech Hardwire Overdrive as that will push an amp into metal territory as well as do lighter duty stuff.
^ yeah I haven't tried it but the hardwire has the rep of being a "better" bad monkey. If so, it's probably worth checking out. Only thing is, it's quite dear here in the UK. It may well be tons better (and if so, disregard what I'm going to say next), but if it's only slightly better, the bad monkey will do the job for sure and leave some budget left over for other things.

Quote by GaryBillington
Yeah, what Dave said.

Also, I just did a quick check on the Metal Muff on ebay & most of the completed listings finished between £30 & £40 including P&P, so even if there weren't better options out there you could have got a better deal than you were being offered.

and good spot, too, on the price thing

Quote by losing battle
I'd say turbo rat it actually works well as a boost or light od.

yeah based on my mooer i prefer the turbo setting (which i'm guessing switches from diodes to LED clipping) for running into an already overdriven amp. i prefer the normal/vintage setting for running into a clean amp. the mooer's nice in that it gives you the option. it's not exactly rocket science and I imagine you could knock one up yourself or mod an existing one if you were any good at soldering, but out of the box the mooer gives you the option, which is nice.

Quote by bobafettacheese
Tubescreamer/Overdrive all the way. I know it has already been stated just reiterating the point. On another note, I have found that rarely will any pedal do metal well, they are just substitutes that leave you desiring more. Tube amp distortion is the way to go, and many times an OD/TS will more than suffice.

agreed. Maybe it's my bias for heavier tones, but if you ask me lower gain pedals are often really, really nice. I prefer amp distortion even for that, but the lower gain pedals can get close. But for high gain distortion, at least with any pedals I have tried, they normally fall far short. Heck the price I got my jet city head for was no more than a boutique distortion pedal from the likes of wampler lol. I know which I'd rather have.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?