So basically i want to start to start playing guitar. Not acoustic or anything please don't tell me to start with one instead they bore me. I don't really want my parents to spend to much so i might just get a used guitar and a good amp. I am 13 so i cant get a job if i did have one i would just buy one myself. Also I don't want a huge amp I am only playing in my room really.
Here are some Bands I like:
Streetlight Manifesto
Catch 22
Big D and the Kids Table
Fugazi
Suicidal Tedencies
Adolescents
Pavement

I am going to try and take another stab at this because i didn't really get teh help i wanted in my first thread.
Some cool bands there man.

Fender Made in Mexico Telecaster or Stratocaster.

The amp is equally important. Maybe a Fender Mustang, Peavey Vypyr, Vox Valvetronix or if you've got a bit more money look for a Fender Blues Junior and get an overdrive pedal.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

It's not a huge deal. But I'd say SSS.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Look for a used MIJ Jag Special - should only run slightly more than a MIM Tele or Strat. It's HH configuration, but the Dragster pickups are jangly when clean.

Also, I love Fugazi, good choices for influence. The amps Phil suggested will suit you well, I'd go with a Vox VT, but also look at the used Crate tubes, maybe a V18 or something.
OffsetOffset
A seven string?
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Given bands like Suicidal on the list, I'd probably go HSS or maybe P90s- either all P90s or mixing one with either HBs or Singles.

Regardless, Mepha is dead on about the amp: that is the core of your tone. Where we differ in amp choices is that, if you're just playing for personal enjoyment or practice at home, I prefer a small pocket-sized modeler instead of an amp. Save up your dough for a good tube amp while using something like these:

Boss Micro-BR 4 track
http://www.guitarcenter.com/-i1169092.gc

Pocket POD
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-Pocket-POD-Guitar-Multi-Effects-Processor-104391875-i1173933.gc

Tascam GT-R1
http://www.guitarcenter.com/TASCAM-GT-R1-Portable-Guitar-Bass-Recorder-105125306-i1401677.gc
http://www.guitarcenter.com/TASCAM-DR-1-GT-R1-Accessory-Kit-105020473-i1402140.gc

Korg Pandora Mini
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Korg-Pandora-Mini-PXMINI-Guitar-Multi-Effects-Processor-H70754-i1746466.gc

Korg Px4
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Korg-Pandora-PX4D-Guitar-Multi-Effects-Processor-103381554-i1124641.gc

Korg Px5
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Korg-Pandora-PX5D-Guitar-Multi-Effects-Processor-104821715-i1387080.gc

Here is a visual comparison of (left to right) Tascam, my PX-5 and one of my Px4s to my old Aiwa cassette player:

Only the Tascam has decent acoustic recording capacity. All DO have features like tuners, metronomes, drum synthesizers, and digital amp & pedal modeling.

So with decent headphones, you can rock out like you were playing Texas Stadium. And yes, they are all about the size of an old Walkman. And they'll fit in a guitar case, so you can travel with them and still practice.

The ones I own: the Tascam has the external mics, a phrase trainer (loop & slow down stuff for practicing), and takes SD cards. Both it and the PX5 can connect directly to your computer via a USB port. The PX4 is discontinued, but it can still be easily found. It is less powerful than the PX5, but, oddly, the PX5 does not have a belt/strap hook.

The ones I don't own: The Line6 PocketPOD is, I believe, the most popular device like this; the Boss might be the most powerful (and priciest); the Pandora Mini is the smallest (its about the size of a stack of business cards), cheapest, and least powerful.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jun 7, 2013,
An eight string?
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Honestly. Give us a god dammed budget!
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Last edited by Mephaphil at Jun 7, 2013,
Yep, no one wants to sit here guessing.

Squier VM Jag or Jazzmaster.
OffsetOffset
Maybe like $300 for both guitar and amp. Sorry it's so low but im not buying it and this economy tho.
The Pacifica is a good option.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I agree with the Yamaha Pacifica and maybe a roland microcube or mustang mini, you could probably buy them both new. Buying used when your new might not be a great idea, unless you know someone who could help you out.

Good luck and have fun looking
Quote by McPalmMute
Was the pacifica like some you guys' first electric guitars?

I still have and use mine, its simple, stays in tune, and is comfortable to play.
Used Epiphone G-400 and a used Peavey Vypyr 30

You can get the G-400 for $200 or less used and the Vypyr 30 goes for $100 used.

I have a G-400 that I play on a regular basis and it is a good guitar.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Keep in mind this is your first guitar so you should like it (that way you'll keep playing it) and all of these are just suggestions. The amp is your main sourse of sound until you get a btter ear so it might even be a better idea to go for more on an amp. The fender mustang i v2 is very versatile and will definitely give you a sound you like (you can edit the sounds on a computer with a program that it comes with). That is $120 new, 8", 20W, and can go from bedroom quiet to jam session loud if you get more into guitar. For a guitar, I'd go for an epiphone les paul special i. The pickups will give you an inbetweenish sound of single coils and humbuckers. And the controls are simple and still effective. That is $130 new. So you can spend the extra $50 on picks and a strap and a cord.

Best of Luck
Quote by McPalmMute
I really do like the way an SG looks. Do you have expierence with a g310?

I do. They are a slight downgrade but it's not noticable unless you get a dud.
Quote by McPalmMute
I really do like the way an SG looks. Do you have expierence with a g310?

Yeah, I did not like the G-310 very much. They just feel cheaply made. The G-400 is built pretty good. I paid $300 new for mine and then put a Seymour Duncan SH-4 in it. It is my main guitar in 1 of my bands and I own guitars that are $1000+.

If you get a G-400 you would be set for a long time. I can under stand you wanting to get something cheaper so your parents will agree to it. But take my advise (I have a 15 yr old daughter) be upfront and honest with your parents about what you want and need.
If you are in the USA look hear and do a few searches for used gear. www.guitarcenter.com/usedgear they have a G-400 for $159 use g400 in the search bar
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Yamaha do good beginner instruments in general. When my wife started playing bass I bought her a Yamaha. The Pacifica is prob a good option for ya. Unsure on amp, maybe a second hand practice thing for home?
Schecter Blackjack SLS C-7
Les Paul Studio with Nailbomb / Black Dog BK pups
Razorback Blades V
Axe-FX Ultra
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50
Ableton Live 8 with Nexus, Komplete 6, Predator, Sylenth
Numark NS7FX
The cheaper epiphones do feel cheap and do not stay in tune very well. If you want that style in that price range look at LTD.
Definitely look used to save some money. Just make sure you bring a friend along who knows guitars so you don't get a bad deal without realizing it. I got a PRS SE Santana plus a 25 W amp for $400 by going used. LTDs are also pretty good. My brother has an LTD bass he got for pretty cheap that sounds and feels nice for the price. Like I said being new to guitar you might not know as much, so bring a friend who knows guitars when you shop to play stuff for you. That way you can hear how it sounds and he can make sure it feels good and is good quality.
“It’s been very important throughout my career that I’ve met all the guys I’ve copied, because at each stage they’ve said, "Don’t play like me, play like you.”
Eric Clapton

Most Epic Build!
What if i dont know anybody who plays guitar. All i know is that my sisters boyfriend plays bass.
Quote by IMtBike
Definitely look used to save some money. Just make sure you bring a friend along who knows guitars so you don't get a bad deal without realizing it. I got a PRS SE Santana plus a 25 W amp for $400 by going used. LTDs are also pretty good. My brother has an LTD bass he got for pretty cheap that sounds and feels nice for the price. Like I said being new to guitar you might not know as much, so bring a friend who knows guitars when you shop to play stuff for you. That way you can hear how it sounds and he can make sure it feels good and is good quality.

Haha i live in maryland also.
Quote by McPalmMute
Haha i live in maryland also.

Too funny. Have you heard of Island Music in LaPlata? They've got some pretty good deals. Also there's Hot Licks in Waldorf. Then of course there's a Guitar Center in Glen Burnie. I got my acoustic guitar there, but they obviously had a pretty big selection of electrics.
“It’s been very important throughout my career that I’ve met all the guys I’ve copied, because at each stage they’ve said, "Don’t play like me, play like you.”
Eric Clapton

Most Epic Build!
Quote by McPalmMute
What if i dont know anybody who plays guitar. All i know is that my sisters boyfriend plays bass.

You might be able to find a guitarist through him. He might even know enough about guitars to judge what is good or bad. Also, the people at Island Music in LaPlata (that's where my brother got his LTD bass) are pretty helpful and don't really pressure you into buying.
Eric Clapton

Most Epic Build!
Have you ever been to the guitat center in rockville? Island Music is like an hour away lol. If it helps i live bladensburg, md very close to d.c.
Quote by McPalmMute
Have you ever been to the guitat center in rockville? Island Music is like an hour away lol. If it helps i live bladensburg, md very close to d.c.

I haven't been to that store, but I'm sure they're all pretty similar. I'm sure there are some guitar shops near you. Try searching on Yelp and see what you can find that has good reviews. I'm down in St. Mary's County, so all the good guitar stores are at least 45 min or so away, and it goes up from there.
Eric Clapton

Most Epic Build!