So today while restringing my Ibanez Universe, I decided to do a little dissecting. Lifted up the pickguard, and some business cards were in the joint acting as a shim. Later when I unscrewed the nut, I saw that that was shimmed as well. (I took out the shim of the nut to see if that could get me lower action since its a little high on the top end but the E, B, and G strings all were on the first fret)

The bridge posts still have a lot of play to go down, so can anyone possible tell me why these both have the need to be shimmed? I do my fair share of set-ups, but this is just mind-bottling.

It was purchased used before anyone asks. Never had the urge to look at the guts before today.
Ibanez
Universe UV777 Signed by Steve Vai
Prestige RG2027X with Bare Knuckle Aftermaths
RG7621 swirled
Prestige RG1420
AEL207E
If the nut seems high, try it without..can't hurt. Probably need to adjust the truss a bit. Is the neck shimmed too?
The answers to all of those are in my OP.
Ibanez
RG7621 swirled
Prestige RG1420
AEL207E
Shim on the pickguard?
Can you take a picture?

A shim is usually placed under the neck to get a good angle.

The nut was probably shimmed because the previous owner has the action really low and didn't adjust the neck right so they just put something under the nut/.
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
Quote by thebestjoe
The bridge posts still have a lot of play to go down, so can anyone possible tell me why these both have the need to be shimmed? I do my fair share of set-ups, but this is just mind-bottling.

Before you go and get your mind bottled... I'll boggle it a little and suggest that it was done after it was purchased. There's no way it was done in factory like that. I suppose someone thought themselves to be an expert in the luthier trade... I guess they didn't do so well, did they?
Last edited by KG6_Steven at Jun 7, 2013,
Quote by Kyleisthename
Shim on the pickguard?
Can you take a picture?

A shim is usually placed under the neck to get a good angle.

The nut was probably shimmed because the previous owner has the action really low and didn't adjust the neck right so they just put something under the nut/.

I actually took it out shortly after my second comment, but there was D'addario string packaging and shoe tags

Quote by KG6_Steven
Before you go and get your mind bottled... I'll boggle it a little and suggest that it was done after it was purchased. There's no way it was done in factory like that. I suppose someone thought themselves to be an expert in the luthier trade... I guess they didn't do so well, did they?

Not for my tastes. I figure the action is half as low as it was before. Guess it's a thing to buy metal guitars to play slide on nowadays.
Ibanez
RG7621 swirled
Prestige RG1420
AEL207E
Just because a guitar has been shimmed doesn’t mean it was necessary. Shimming is commonly recommended on forums by armchair guitar techs for all sorts of problems. As far as bad advice goes shimming is almost as common as idiots on the UG Amp forum telling people that a 6550 2x12" combo is a great bedroom amp because it has a master volume.