Page 1 of 2
I've not done many New Gear Days, so I'm doing this one to be a kind of comprehensive new gear day.

Boss TU-3 Chromatic Tuner

There isn't much to say about this tuner. It just works. It's really accurate, and it has a nice buffer. I would and most likely will buy another. Typical Boss durability. Great pedal.

Boss CS-3 Compression Sustainer

I spent a lot of time researching compressors trying to find one. It was very difficult, because all of the forum posts I found on the subject were of people looking to use the comp for different things than I was. Most people want to use them to play country and get "spank" or whatever. I didn't want that, so I went on a whim and basically decided to do the opposite of what they said. So I ended up with a CS-3. It's not subtle, which I like. I use it to level out my note and chord volume, which it does an alright job at. It also adds a lot of sustain and a bit of thickness to my tone that is nice.

MXR M77 Custom Badass Modified Overdrive

I originally had a Boss SD-1, which I liked, but I wanted something that was quieter. Long story short, this pedal basically does that.

The M77 isn't necessarily quieter than the SD-1, but it can achieve the same level of gain at a lower noise level than the SD-1. Meaning, that the M77 has a much larger range of gain. I kept the SD-1's gain at 9 o'clock, and I have the M77 gain set at about 8 o'clock. The levels of gain are similar, but the M77 is notably quieter. At higher levels, they're both just as bad as each other though.

The 100HZ knob is pretty much a suck knob. I keep it at about 10 o'clock. Anything higher and all it does is introduce a ton of bass that shuttles everything to Mud-Flab City. Maybe it's useful for Strats? I didn't demo mine.

Everything else behaves as normally, it sounds very very similar to the SD-1, actually. But I haven't used it and probably won't use it as a standalone, so that's withing the context of boosting an amp. The tone knob doesn't seem to have much range. it's pretty focused. The volume knob has a pretty consistent taper. I keep mine at 3 o'clock. That's about the highest I can go before it goes crazy with noise.

Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor

This pedal is great. This is my favorite noise suppressor pedal. It gives you control over how you want to use the gate. Most other NS units give you one knob, or one knob and a switch or two. This one gives you two knobs and a switch, so you can really dial in how you want it to behave. On top of that, it doesn't color tone at all (I tested this extensively just today, again), and it can be run in two places at the same time. This NS is just a no brainer to me, for $100. People who've had bad experiences with them... yeah, I don't really know what you're doing wrong. I've owned and sold NS-2s in the past, and I've never felt inclined to try a different unit out.

Morley Little Alligator

I got this unit specifically because of the linear taper. I also got it because it's an active pedal. I like indicator lights. There's not much to say about it. It works smoothly, it has a nice range and I can get legitimate swells with it. All the things I specifically wanted my volume pedal to do, this volume pedal does. I did a lot of research on volume pedals and settled on this one, and I will recommend it to anyone. It works exactly the way that a volume pedal should work.

Danelectro Fish & Chips 7 Band EQ

I am super impressed with this little thing. I had no idea what to expect, and I am completely impressed & satisfied with this little unit. The low price shows in the subpar housing construction (compared to Boss, for example), but the actual way the pedal works is very nice. As long as you're not slam dancing on your pedals, I would absolutely recommend this. It's very quiet, quieter than the Boss EQs I've had. Small footprint. I use mine as a volume boost, and it performs wonderfully. This thing is just a joy to have for it's $30 price tag. Will definitely recommend in the future.

Boss FS-5U Nonlatching Footswitch

This works, and it's passive which is nice, but I probably wouldn't buy one again. I use mine as a tap tempo for the FX on my GT-10. It works fine, but it doesn't have an indicator light, so there's nothing there flashing the tempo.

In general as an add on for the GT, if you just want another CTL switch, it's great. Nothing to complain about construction wise. But for tap tempo specifically, something with an LED would be a lot better I think.

Boss GT-10 Guitar Effects Processor

Where to start. This thing is a beast. I don't use this so much as an FX unit, as much as I use it as a sort of central "controller". I have FX going into it, I have it going into FX, of course it's being run in the 4 Cable Method with my amp, and controlling my amp via the Amp Ctl feature. It is capable of much, much more than I use it for, but at the same time I couldn't do without it. I started off totally analog, and did the whole tap dancing thing for a while, and then I got tired of that and sold all my pedals, and used my Vypyr Tube + Sanpera for a little while. That was great, but I wanted more flexibility, and a little more powerful, more "real" tone, so after a slippery slope of heavy research, I ended up where I am now: a hybrid of the two ideas. I have analog pedals on my board, but they're mostly "always on" pedals, that help make up my tone. Actual tone switching is done in my GT. I have my pedals routed in such a way that I can bypass my standalone OD and my amp's preamp entirely if I want to use a clean model, or run through them. It's been a lot of head scratching working out exactly the chain my FX should go through, but it's been very rewarding.

A great thing about the GT is that if there's anything I want to do, any FX idea I have or want to experiment there, I can. It's all in there already. I just have to make a new patch (which is easy after you set up your initial patches. Just copy paste a patch, and just edit the FX you want to implement).

I've had this thing for a couple months, and I'm still learning new things I can do with it all the time. It's not a good choice for someone with a WYSIWYG mindset at all, but if you like programming and routing, this is definitely a fun toy.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Jun 7, 2013,
Pedalboard pic:

It looks messy as hell. I'm not exactly sure what to do about it aesthetically. Ah well.

WGS Reaper HP

Everyone talks about how terrible Sheffields are, but to be perfectly honest, these did not really change my tone all that much. After using them for a little while, I can say that they added a tiny bit of clarity, and made my tone a little brighter... not huge changes by any means though. I really want to get a pair of Veteran 30s in there as well, but that'll have to wait. I've spent far more on gear in the past month than I should have.

And finally, saving the best for last:

Peavey 6505

This thing is a monster, as everyone already knows. If you want to play modern metal, this is the amp you go to.

While there isn't much to say that isn't already well known about this amp, I will say that this amp isn't really a one trick pony like it's often made out to be. Sure it's a PITA and (for me certainly) not really worth the time trying to get great cleans out of, the crunch is actually pretty good. Keep the pregain around 5-6, run some PAFs or hot PAFs into it, and it does a really good heavy crunch. Not edge of breakup or anything like that, but I'm talking about old school metal crunch. Not where it excels, but definitely more versatile than I previously gave it credit for.

Here is a video of a runthrough of my rig, and some random playing. I apologize for both.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIl2fWno0zE

6505 Clean Demo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CczyAjH0WNo

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Aug 27, 2013,
Reported.

Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
*reversed*
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
*self-served*
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
このスレッドは写真なしで役に立たない
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
the idea is to write everything first, then post the thread with reserved posts, and then copy/paste as quickly as possible, so jackasses don't come in a **** up your thread.

hngd anyways!
Quote by NakedInTheRain
the idea is to write everything first, then post the thread with reserved posts, and then copy/paste as quickly as possible, so jackasses don't come in a **** up your thread.

hngd anyways!

I didn't think it would be an issue, the forum is usually pretty slow.

Anyway, I laughed.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Yeah, it's a CNB PDC-410I SSL from Rondo Music.

http://www.rondomusic.com/pdc410i.html

It hasn't been through much yet, so... we'll see how it holds up.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Very nice. Happy new shit day.

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Nice. You have a similar rig to me. I use my RP1000 as sort of a hub for my effects (EQ, Gate, Boost) and to use some clean preamp sims. The only thing I wish my RP1000 had was amp channel switching, but for the price and the amount of time I use the "clean" channel, I don't really care.

Unfortunately I don't have a board to put it all on so my rig is a complete mess. I'm in the process of finding or building a good board to put my RP1000, Tuner, TS9, EQ, and Decimator on. Maybe a wireless eventually.

My signal basically goes like this:

Guitar --> Tuner ---> RP1000 Input

RP1000 Amp Loop Send --->6505 Input ---> 6505 FX Send ---> 10 Band EQ ---> RP1000 Amp Loop Return

RP1000 Stomp Loop Send ----> TS9 ---> Decimator ----> RP1000 Stomp Loop Return

RP1000 Output ----> 6505 Effects Return

All my pedals are always on, I can set whether or not the stomp loop or amp loops are engaged for each preset. I have had good success with the RP's noise gate, hence why I just use the decimator after the TS9. I may try it out after the EQ in the amp loop, but my setup is working well now.

It's a pain to set up until I get a board, but I put a lot of planning and trial into getting it set up.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
Last edited by Tremolo Bum at Jun 8, 2013,
Nice reviews and nice demo

But what you really need is a Noise Suppressor at the top of your chain right after guitar and then another Noise Suppressor at the end of you chain right before the amp. That should give you no noise and a nice gated delayed attack.

Kidding of course. Glad the Dano 7 band is working for you. Interesting that you use it only as a boost. I think it is an underrated pedal for sure. Now only if that damn switch was more like a real switch
Just a little reverb and a tiny bit of delay. JC120 model.

EDIT: And my CS-3. So

Guitar -> CS-3 -> JC120 ->EQ -> Reverb -> Delay -> 6505 Return

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Jun 8, 2013,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
So in that situation your 6505 is only acting as power amp. Good stuff.

I'd like to see you pull off the best clean you can with all your gear minus the GT

Sure, I'd be up for it. It'll be a pain in the ass cable wise though. Everything on my board is basically perfect length. I cut a few cables down to size to fit. lol

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
HNGD.

I use my Gt10 in similar way but hooked up in 4CM. You should look into the 'Quick Settings' feature of it that's available for every effect block(except NS1/2) including the amp & all the different fx included in the FX1/2 blocks. The Assigns & Wah/Whammy also have it too. It makes editing new patches super easy if you have a specific settings that you use most often. There are 10 of those user savable quick settings per effect, so they come in handy often.

Also if your using it for clean amp sims, try the Lines/Phones output mode & disable the cab sims manually(mic sims get turned off as well), it's much normal preamp sounding & less of a muddy or honky sounding that way when using it with a PA>Cab setup.
Quote by Offworld92
I didn't think it would be an issue, the forum is usually pretty slow.

Anyway, I laughed.

Don't be so defensive. Jesus.

nice review and video. Sweet haul. Hopefully you have it all dialed in!
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
nice scores there

I suspect the 100hz knob on the badass is for people using it as a standalone od. i haven't tried it, but on the od pedals i have bass knobs on, i only turn them up if i'm not using them as a boost. as a boost you normally need some bass cut. at least with middy-type pedals like a ts/sd1.

and yeah when you use the x-pattern thing the ns2 is not too bad. i still prefer the decimator, but i bought my decimator before i discovered the x-pattern thing had i discovered that first, i may not have felt the need to upgrade to the decimator.

i was trying my cs3 recently too and it's not too bad, either. as you said, not that subtle, but you don't always want/need subtle. if you do, though, there are probably better options. All those tgp-ers who want a totally transparent pedal which you can't tell if it's on or not and who want to pay $400 for it probably wouldn't like a cs3 because it actually does something.

EDIT: honorable mention to ippon for some nice gifs
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Page 1 of 2