alright so im trying to get a warm tone out of a Gibson voodoo its made of swamp ash and has a ebony fretboard... the stock pickups are 496r/500t ( if I remember that right)... anyhow I was goin to put an emg 81 active in it.. not my choice but im doing this for a friend.. im not sure its going to work.. because I need room for a battery and Gibson has the pots in such mounted the a metal plate inside.. I found it weird.. but is there a quick way too cut some of the treble too make it sound warmer other then changing pick-ups??

im doing this for a friend who has is mind set on getting a warmer tone and I don't wanna disappoint him.. I myself find it pointless to put an active 81in it.. as the guitar sounds great as it is..but everyones different..
Last edited by timmymaines at Jun 8, 2013,
81s are really bright, that's not going to help. Pickups are going to make the most difference out of all of the common mods, and pots don't matter as much with EMGs, so you're really shooting yourself in the foot if you want more warmth. At least put an 85 or a 60 in there instead.

Basically he's going to have to just park the tone knob at 6 if he wants a warmer tone.
I have the same bridge pickup; it's quite bright indeed... I usually pull back on the tone a bit for rhythm work, works great. And for solo's you just open it back up again and with the added highs you just cut through the mix. Immediately.
Scientists write papers and books. Engineers make money.
I kept the stock 500T in the bridge of my Flying V, and yes it's an incredibly bright pickup. Nothing short of swapping it out will fix the brightness.

A habit and preference of mine naturally counters the brightness though. I rarely change my strings, maybe once every 4-6 months (if that). Their duller/warmer tone balances very nicely with the bright 500T and subdues the aggressive nature of the pickup. It's a very happy, toneful medium from two extremes

I stuck a Seymour Duncan 59 in the neck of my V, and done a pair of wiring mods to it:
Independent Volume Controls: With both pickups selected, I can roll the volume on one to 0 without it cutting the output entirely from both.
50s Style Wiring: Keeps the tone knob useful when the volume is rolled back considerably.

Between these two mods I can have both pickups selected and dial back the 500T a bit (Volume 8) and add just a touch of the warmer 59 (Volume 3). Think of it as a complicated blend knob. I can fatten and warm up the 500T at will and still sound like a bridge pickup.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Jun 8, 2013,
Quote by Flux'D
I kept the stock 500T in the bridge of my Flying V, and yes it's an incredibly bright pickup. Nothing short of swapping it out will fix the brightness.

A habit and preference of mine naturally counters the brightness though. I rarely change my strings, maybe once every 4-6 months (if that). Their duller/warmer tone balances very nicely with the bright 500T and subdues the aggressive nature of the pickup. It's a very happy, toneful medium from two extremes

I stuck a Seymour Duncan 59 in the neck of my V, and done a pair of wiring mods to it:
Independent Volume Controls: With both pickups selected, I can roll the volume on one to 0 without it cutting the output entirely from both.
50s Style Wiring: Keeps the tone knob useful when the volume is rolled back considerably.

Between these two mods I can have both pickups selected and dial back the 500T a bit (Volume 8) and add just a touch of the warmer 59 (Volume 3). Think of it as a complicated blend knob. I can fatten and warm up the 500T at will and still sound like a bridge pickup.

Thats interesting. I have 2 independent volumes for all of mine, and if you turn one off it cuts off all volume.
Quote by Explorerbuilder
Thats interesting. I have 2 independent volumes for all of mine, and if you turn one off it cuts off all volume.
I'd noticed that my LPish build (2V/2T) did this too. I assumed I'd just cocked it up but as it was annoying rather than critical I didn't bother investigating further. Now I don't feel quite so bad about it.
Quote by Explorerbuilder
You probably have 2 volume controls, but not independent volume controls . It's a very simple mod, notice the slight changes in the signal path, I can't find a solely independent volume one for a V right now but it exists. It's easy to figure out from these though

Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]