35 47%
moderately ****ed
25 34%
not ****ed at all
9 12%
I ****ed a purple spunky hippo
5 7%
Voters: 74.
So I busted my ankle two days ago and could not walk for the majority of yesterday. Since I live in the basement and have to walk up stairs to go to the bathroom, this was a huge problem. I realised that if I were to become disabled, I would be completely ****ed. I could not even live in my house. I couldn't go to my uni.

Heck, I couldn't even go to the store. That was some eye-opening shit right there. I never even thought about not being able to walk and what that would mean for my life. I always thought that, since I work with computers, it wouldn't matter, but shit it completely destroys everything in your life.

So yeah. How ****ed would you be if you suddenly couldn't walk?
I once couldn't walk for about two weeks because I stabbed myself in the leg too much, couldn't go out to get any drugs and just ended up mutilating myself more...if I were disabled, I'm fairly certain I'd end up performing self-amputation until I was a stump with a head, my life would be even more ****ed than it already is

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
I'd be pretty ****ed. I love driving and shiznit, so I need my legs man.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
I know how that feels. I broke my leg a few years ago and it was bad enough that I could barely move around without crutches or a wheelchair. Shit sucks.

But, it gets better. As time goes on you'll get a bit stronger and getting around will be easier.

It's ****ed a little bit, but I've always found a way.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Spent 3 months in a cast from my armpits to my toes plus my left forearm. Suck it up buttercup.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Masquirina
Oddly enough I think it involves general preparation for chaos more than running itself. Not anything specific like an axe murderer or being chased by rabid animals (which probably wouldn't work out anyway). Just the reminder of personal control over leg, arm, and hand movements. If trapped somewhere unbearable with no resources or kidnapped/forced into a nightmarish environment, I would probably think of voluntary control repeatedly to reassure myself into a state of calm equilibrium.

So you wouldn't die screaming?
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
I cane to the realisation yesterday that losing my ability to walk wouldnt change much. It would suck ofcourse, but i dont sport or anything. Of all handicaps that One can develop, that One would be the easiest to live with for me. Losing sight, hearing, arms etc. Would be worse.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Masquirina
Wow what happened? You can be vague.

I hit a rock. A house sized rock. Was my last jump as a paratrooper. Got caught in a rather impressive gust of wind. Broke damn near everything. Except the rock. It was fine.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
I have a friend in a wheelchair from birth, it must be easier that way than loosing your legs after you got used to them. Another friend is a quad from skydiving, he was such a fit guy too.
Quote by Jackal58
I hit a rock. A house sized rock. Was my last jump as a paratrooper. Got caught in a rather impressive gust of wind. Broke damn near everything. Except the rock. It was fine.

Holy shit man

That is both completely badass and 100% terrible.
I could deal with never being able to walk again. But I would've wasted 2 years (if not more) of training for a dance performance, in addition to being on any sports teams. So yeah I would be extremely unhappy.
cat
Quote by CoreysMonster
Holy shit man

That is both completely badass and 100% terrible.

Absolutely nothing badass about being unable to scratch your balls for 3 months.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Pretty much all of my hobbies require being active. I'm sure I'd find a way around it, though.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Wouldn't be that bad. I enjoy sitting and the majority of my life is done that way. It would still totally suck for the obvious reasons though.
For how can I give the King his place of worth above all else
when I spend my time striving to place the crown upon myself?
I voted "totally ****ed" because of the fact that it's temporary for you. You're not going to be doing anything to increase accessibility or anything, so yeah, you're completely ****ed.

If it were permanent, ironically enough, I would say "not ****ed at all".
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
Quote by WhiteStripesIII
Very ****ed. My life is basically guitar (and I use a lot of pedals), cars and football.

You could still make music. Vic Chesnutt was paralyzed from the waist down. Same for Robert Wyatt. Hell, Curtis Mayfield released an album after being paralyzed from the neck down.
I started jogging recently so it'd be undesirable, but I'd survive. I generally do very little with myself. Even when I get the urge to play guitar or something I feel kind of lethargic straight after and don't bother. Some life huh?
Quote by kertets
Only losers post their opinions on the internet.
Quote by Jackal58

Sounds like when a friend of mine hit a tree doing that. Barely got through jump school. Medical discharge. He was in the service for like 8 months. Talk about a raw deal.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
I like to longboard, so that would suck, but I could easily get by, I think. I don't do a whole lot of walking or using my legs, and I live in Florida where there are very few places with more than one floor. My high school and college have a couple buildings with stairs, but also elevators.

I might need help doing a few things I like, but overall I'd be pretty much ok
Quote by stonyman65
Sounds like when a friend of mine hit a tree doing that. Barely got through jump school. Medical discharge. He was in the service for like 8 months. Talk about a raw deal.

This is somewhat relevant... There was a guy who joined the Army on 9/11, or immediately after, got shipped to Iraq, and on his third day there, he was shot and paralyzed.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
It's called determination. You have every choice in the world, choose to invent a way fretting around.
If I had a choice I would just completely remove the legs rather than just have ones that didn't work. In the future we will have fancy bionic legs that will make me the worlds first superhuman man from the dick down, and until then I'll just crawl around everywhere while making dying noises and freak everyone out.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
and until then I'll just crawl around everywhere while making dying noises and freak everyone out.

Thinking about it, how amputees refrain from doing this is beyond me
Quote by Neo Evil11
I cane to the realisation yesterday that losing my ability to walk wouldnt change much. It would suck ofcourse, but i dont sport or anything. Of all handicaps that One can develop, that One would be the easiest to live with for me. Losing sight, hearing, arms etc. Would be worse.

Heh, clever.
When you can't walk/have a really hard time walking it's horrible. I had to go a couple weeks like that when I was 9 after some surgery. ;_;
I broke my leg when i was about 8, so i didn't have full mobility of my leg for a few weeks, which sucked.

My job requires me to be on my feet for long periods of time (sometimes i don't get to sit down until the train journey home), so if i had difficulty walking, it would present a problem.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.