Hey there, so I started learning this song earlier today and I've got about halfway. It's by far the fastest solo I've played and I was wondering if this counts as shredding or is it just a quick solo. Also, is there a name for the technique that they use in most of the solo.

E|----10-14p10----10-14p10-----|
B|-12-------------12-----------12--|

Don't know how to post tabs properly, sorry if it doesn't come out as expected.
I thought something similar but I remember reading somewhere here that sweep picking is 3 or more strings.
Quote by zamap708
I thought something similar but I remember reading somewhere here that sweep picking is 3 or more strings.

Sweeping can be anything from 2 strings to as many strings you got on your instrument.

Also, i would hardly label "The Final Countdown" solo as "shred".
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
You could sweep that but it sounds better with alternate picking and pull-offs because of articulation. Sweeping would mean always hitting the b string with a downstroke, thats not what Norum did for a good reason.
Yeah, I also play it using alternative picking. It sounds better than downstrokes on the whole thing.
That's a B minor arpeggio. Next comes C# diminished arpeggio, D Major arpeggio and then G Major arpeggio. The solo is in the key of B minor so it uses mostly B C# D E F# G and A notes.
Last edited by AndyZ at Jun 8, 2013,
Quote by AndyZ
That's just a B minor arpeggio. Next comes C# diminished arpeggio, D Major arpeggio and then G Major arpeggio. The solo is in the key of B minor so it uses mostly B C# D E F# G and A notes.

So?
Quote by Facecut
So?

He was wondering what the technique is that he is playing, so I just thought I'd point out that they were arpeggios and what type of arpeggios they were. Also, I'm doing this to help me develop my own musical memory and knowledge. Is there something wrong with that?
Last edited by AndyZ at Jun 8, 2013,
His question was about the technique, not the content of the solo. Maybe he doesn´t know what the arpeggios are but just assuming so is kind of rude. I´m sure you didn´t mean to insult.
Last edited by Facecut at Jun 8, 2013,
Quote by Facecut
His question was about the technique, not the content of the solo. Maybe he doesn´t know what the arpeggios are but just assuming so is kind of rude. I´m sure you didn´t mean to insult.

I most definitely didn't try to be rude. I know he didn't directly ask anything about the content of the solo. I just analyzed it a bit mostly for myself. I was in the mood for it.
Quote by Facecut

It's not rude at all.

"Arpeggios" is a perfectly valid answer to the question "what technique is being used here".
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Well I´m sure you know what an arpeggio is and what a technique is so I don´t really understand why you would make that comment but I´m not going to argue.
An arpeggio is the notes of a chord played individually - if you're playing the notes of a chord individually as opposed to strumming them all simultaneously then that's a different technique, isn't it?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
An arpeggio is the notes of a chord played individually - if you're playing the notes of a chord individually as opposed to strumming them all simultaneously then that's a different technique, isn't it?

Strumming is a different technique than the options you have to play arpeggios, yes. Relevance? I call random comparison.

He gave no hint how the arpeggio is played, the arpeggio in itself is not a technique its a description of the content.
The question itself was vague, Andy provided useful information about the threadstarters problem.

Whilst it may not have met your exacting standards this isn't your thread, so why do you care what someone else has said so long as it's not wrongly contradicting or attacking you?

It's not your place to judge what is or isn't relevant in a thread, it's mine.

And Freepower's and Tostitos...
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc