So I found my parent's vinyl collection and I have a record of my own, and I've been thinking about getting a gramophone.

I know nothing about gramophones.

I do know that I really want to get one with a horn, like this: http://www.grabcart.com/product/Home-and-garden/Accents/day5155-wlmgc1588/Benzara-05668-27-in-H-Brass-Horn-Gramophone-Phonograph-Working

But I have a few questions first.

1. Can it play 33 1/2 rpm LPs?
2. Do you actually have to crank it (I heard that this makes playback inconsistent)?
3. Do record players with the horn sound different than those without?
4. Can it play stereo records?
5. What is the most common speed for records?

If it cannot play 33 1/2 rpm records, than where can I find one that can?

TL;DR - What Gramophone?
⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸
Airline 3P Deluxe
Gibson SG Special w/ SD 59's
Victoria MIJ 60's Electric Guitar
Martin DCX1E
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 18
Bunch of Pedals
Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar
Can't go wrong with anything from Stanton or Denon.

EDIT: Gramophone? Do you even care how your music sounds?
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Last edited by JustRooster at Jun 8, 2013,
TS, you want a turntable.

EDIT: Nvm.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
A gramophone will destroy your records. Gramophones are designed to play records made from an extremely hard material, due to the needle being made of steel, and being applied to the record at high pressure. Vinyl records are extremely soft, so the stylus is a lot finer, and there's almost no pressure applied to the record. Stop being a hipster of the highest degree, get yourself a turntable instead.
Quote by JoeFlips

4. Can it play stereo records?

It has one speaker. Have a guess whether it plays stuff in stereo
Quote by willT08
It has one speaker. Have a guess whether it plays stuff in stereo

A modified phrasing of his question:
"Will it play both sides in a similar-fashion to a mono record?"

I think that was what he was trying to ask.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
man, I'm so sad I made this thread now after seeing those shake shack burgers. I would buy an extra just to fuck it while I eat its siblings. then i'd eat that one too.

I am so sorry for my mother's "escapades"...
Don't get that

Get this

http://www.amazon.com/Technica-AT-LP60-Automatic-Driven-Turntable/dp/B002GYTPAE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1370720159&sr=8-2&keywords=audio+technica+turntable

I have one and it works great. Plus if you have some good speakers it won't sound like poop like gramophone
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by WCPhils
Don't get that

Get this

http://www.amazon.com/Technica-AT-LP60-Automatic-Driven-Turntable/dp/B002GYTPAE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1370720159&sr=8-2&keywords=audio+technica+turntable

I have one and it works great. Plus if you have some good speakers it won't sound like poop like gramophone

He also needs an amplifier with that, unless he has powered speakers.
too easy. listen to all your music via live performances only. or play all your loved music yourself, all like the olden days. evn mre hpstr
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
He also needs an amplifier with that, unless he has powered speakers.

oh yea, forgot about that
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by desperatechris
TS wants to be a 80s DJ.

take back that baseless accusation
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
By all means start a 78RPM collection, but you won't be able to play any record released after the second world war on a gramophone.

You're parents (or any middle-aged adults) will surely be the best people to talk to as they grew up with the technology.

All you need to play LPs (33 1/3 RPM) and 7/12"s, though, is a turntable, a stereo-amplifier and some speakers. Super easy to hook up.
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
Quote by WCPhils
Don't get that

Get this

Why is that so expensive now? I bought that one last year for like $70 or so on Amazon.
Quote by JustRooster
Gramophone? Do you even care how your music sounds?

Did I not say I literally knew nothing about gramophones? Clearly if I knew that they sounded bad and destroyed vinyl, I wouldn't have been considering one.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
A gramophone will destroy your records. Gramophones are designed to play records made from an extremely hard material, due to the needle being made of steel, and being applied to the record at high pressure. Vinyl records are extremely soft, so the stylus is a lot finer, and there's almost no pressure applied to the record. Stop being a hipster of the highest degree, get yourself a turntable instead.

Thank you for actually being helpful and informative, turntable it is.

Quote by sideslick
A modified phrasing of his question:
"Will it play both sides in a similar-fashion to a mono record?"

I think that was what he was trying to ask.

you thought right.

Quote by Hereiwas
By all means start a 78RPM collection, but you won't be able to play any record released after the second world war on a gramophone.

You're parents (or any middle-aged adults) will surely be the best people to talk to as they grew up with the technology.

All you need to play LPs (33 1/3 RPM) and 7/12"s, though, is a turntable, a stereo-amplifier and some speakers. Super easy to hook up.

Thanks, this is the help I was looking for.
⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸
Airline 3P Deluxe
Martin DCX1E
Bunch of Pedals
Quote by daytripper75
Why is that so expensive now? I bought that one last year for like $70 or so on Amazon.

Seriously?

I've been ripped off
___

Quote by The_Blode
Can anyone recommend a good amplifier and speakers (to work with a turntable)?
⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸
Airline 3P Deluxe
Martin DCX1E
Bunch of Pedals
God UG is loaded with turntable noobs. Denon? Audio Technica?

Screw that, look for an old used Pioneer PL turntable from the late 70's/early 80's. Stylus is important too, try to get an Ortofon stylus on thing if you can as well.
Quote by Ian_the_fox

Screw that, look for an old used Pioneer PL turntable from the late 70's/early 80's. Stylus is important too, try to get an Ortofon stylus on thing if you can as well.

FUCK OFF YOU PRICK

Is there anything you won't be a cunt about?
Quote by Ian_the_fox

Have you even used a Pioneer PL of any description? The only one I would let anywhere near my setup is a 518, and that's pushing it.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Have you even used a Pioneer PL of any description? The only one I would let anywhere near my setup is a 518, and that's pushing it.
The 570. What's wrong with the line, especially for the price? I find it spectacular.
Quote by WCPhils
Seriously?

I've been ripped off

Yeah, Amazon tells me that I bought it. I clicked the link they provided, and I paid $71.33 for it.

I know it was that price for a while, because I was thinking about buying one for a few months before I got it, and the price was always about $70.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
The 570. What's wrong with the line, especially for the price? I find it spectacular.

They work. They don't sound stellar. You really need to try some better systems if you think any of the Pioneer PLs are 'spectacular.' They aren't, and they show their age.

And in respects to the Audio Technica price thing, Audio Technica have had a general price hike, happened officially late last year, but some retailers will absorb the increase for a while, or won't advertise the increase until old stock is sold.
Last edited by Deliriumbassist at Jun 9, 2013,
Your best bet would be to look around pawn shops for the older all-in-one cabinet style "Hi-Fis" that were popular in the 60s especially and part of the 70s.Almost all of these stereo cabinets had 4 speeds on the turntable: 16 1/2,33 1/3,45,78 RPM which meant that along with "modern" records,they could play the older gramaphone records too.There are also quite a few more modern component turntables that play the 4 most used record speeds.I have found a lot of what was once state of the art stereo components in pawn shops and in our local Buy & Sell magazine ads for just a fraction of what the original cost was.I recently bought a nearly mint Kenwood 200 disc CD player for just $40 and I bought what was once a uber-expensive Dual turntable for $25, and that was with a cartridge that probably cost close to $100 new.You could conceivably build up a component stereo system that would have been worth $800 -$1,000 in its day for under or not much over $100.Just keep your eyes peeled on newspaper ads,garage sales,pawn shops and even ebay and Craigs List and you'll definitely find a cheap alternative to the old style gramaphone-which are becoming rare and somewhat pricey.
Quote by Ian_the_fox

God forbid I don't have 3 grand to spend on a sound system.

**** off
___

Quote by The_Blode