Hi,I have two questions, the first one, single coil can be played with grunge? secondly, to nirvana, which is better mustang or jaguar? (mustang is single coil,maybe then I wear hotrail.) answers that will make me very happy.
Either should be fine. Your amp is going to play a bigger part. I think Kurt used singles and humckers? Personally, I would go with a Mustang if this is for Nirvana. Put a rail in the bridge and call it good.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
To Nirvana (specifically Kurt), he preferred Mustangs to Jaguars. He also really liked Fender Twin Reverb amps (he used them for recording In Utero). You'll probably find a website dedicated to his gear, so if you want to search for it, go ahead.

EDIT: I found one. http://kurtsequipment.com/
Quote by Kopp2
Just be like me. You will get cool by instant

Dayman

Master of karate and friendship for everyone
Last edited by Doctor.Dolittle at Jun 8, 2013,
Dude, it's grunge. It stands for 'grab daf*ck you want and make some noise'!
"(...) My hope will be in Zion, as I strife through a world so cold..."
Quote by TheGuitarGuyBr
Dude, it's grunge. It stands for 'grab daf*ck you want and make some noise'!

Yeah, but you need the proper equipment to make said noise. Duh.
Quote by Kopp2

Dayman

Quote by Doctor.Dolittle
Yeah, but you need the proper equipment to make said noise. Duh.

If you want to be "Proper" then forget mustangs and Jags and grab a Mosrite. I just thinks it's more on the way you play than what you play.
Quote by TheGuitarGuyBr
If you want to be "Proper" then forget mustangs and Jags and grab a Mosrite. I just thinks it's more on the way you play than what you play.

Oh...
I meant it as a joke

man
Quote by Kopp2

Dayman

Quote by Doctor.Dolittle
Oh...
I meant it as a joke

man

I know. It's the internet. haha no hard feelings. But I think those Mosrites Gospel's Kurt used to play were badass, man!
Quote by TheGuitarGuyBr
I know. It's the internet. haha no hard feelings. But I think those Mosrites Gospel's Kurt used to play were badass, man!

It's okay. The Mosrite Gospels were pretty cool but I'm not sure if they're out of OP's price range (seeing how vintage ones go for a couple thousand of dollars)
Quote by Kopp2

Dayman

Quote by Doctor.Dolittle
It's okay. The Mosrite Gospels were pretty cool but I'm not sure if they're out of OP's price range (seeing how vintage ones go for a couple thousand of dollars)

Oh yeah, and being discontinued, they're probably a bit expensive. But now a deeper question. What's grunge after all? i mean, what does Nirvana, Pearl jam and Soundgarden have in common? I never got that...
Quote by Showiddlydiddly
Would not caring about the guitar or amp not be much more in the supposed spirit of grunge?

That's what I was talking about. lol
Quote by Showiddlydiddly
Would not caring about the guitar or amp not be much more in the supposed spirit of grunge?

Dude, you're absolutely right, but I can feel how or what I'm asking a lot more guitar.
Quote by dlowe102
put a super distortion in a strat

this plus a DS-1 through a Fender Hot Rod = Nevermind tone
Quote by ccannon1
this plus a DS-1 through a Fender Hot Rod = Nevermind tone

I ask the guitar, not the amp My amp is ok
Quote by TheGuitarGuyBr
But now a deeper question. What's grunge after all? i mean, what does Nirvana, Pearl jam and Soundgarden have in common? I never got that...

The name is a bit of a catch-all for bands that were kind of between metal and punk, but there were commonalities. A lot of the pioneers were gigging the same clubs; sometimes in the same bands. There's a bit of the punk mindset involved, both visually and in terms of the "whatever works, do it" vibe, combined with some of metal's more esoteric tunings and lyrical arcana.

My 2¢, anyway.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Back on topic:
Quote by OKKurtCobain
Hi,I have two questions, the first one, single coil can be played with grunge? secondly, to nirvana, which is better mustang or jaguar? (mustang is single coil,maybe then I wear hotrail.) answers that will make me very happy.

It seems like you're looking for a guitar or for advice on pickups for upgrading your current gear so you can have fun playing grunge.

You can play grunge with any kind of pickup, so most any kind of guitar will do. Your amp & pedals will shape yr tone more than your guitar.

Still, you may want "hotter" pickups- regardless of type- because they'll hit those dirty, aggressive tones more easily than more neutrally voiced pickups.

So: what's your budget, and where do you live? And are you upgrading pickups or shopping for a guitar?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jun 12, 2013,
Quote by OKKurtCobain

The Jaguar and Mustang are both single coil guitars.

Cobain used a Strat before his Jagstang, Chris Cornell used a Telecaster, Mike McCreedy used a Stratocaster, as well as many, many other acts. Single coils are just fine.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Last edited by JustRooster at Jun 12, 2013,
And in Soundgarden, you got a mix of whatever Cornell was using with Thayil's humbuckers.

Which he uses in his Guild S-100's, so they're even low output humbuckers.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Back on topic:

It seems like you're looking for a guitar or for advice on pickups for upgrading your current gear so you can have fun playing grunge.

You can play grunge with any kind of pickup, so most any kind of guitar will do. Your amp & pedals will shape yr tone more than your guitar.

Still, you may want "hotter" pickups- regardless of type- because they'll hit those dirty, aggressive tones more easily than more neutrally voiced pickups.

So: what's your budget, and where do you live? And are you upgrading pickups or shopping for a guitar?

firstly thank you for your answer, explain the following: I live in turkey, and the budget will become clearer by guitars that I want, or your advice, I want to mustang or jaguar jagstand not nice to me, I'm either a jaguar hh, or take mustang, mustang or will hs or single coil, single coil if I get it, I plug in the bridge duncan hot rail, I want to get all the sounds of nirvana and grunge,i think my amp is okey thanks waiting for your advice This includes a light tones, for example, all apologies, dumb
Hmmm...

Were I doing this myself, I'd probably opt for either a Reverend Double Agent or a Godin Richmond Empire P90...but I live in the USA and my pockets are pretty deep.

Given your situation, assuming a lower budget and problems buying stuff from smaller brands I could still get close to that by getting a Jaguar HH and swapping out the neck humbucker with a good humbucker-sized P90.*

But that's a fancy way of doing things.

Either a stock Jaguar or Mustang- especially the Cobain Mustang- would be fine as is. The trick would be learning how to use your amp & pedals to get the tones you want. Modding a guitar like that, or buying something unusual like the Double Agent or Empire P90 just makes that task a little easier.

(Edit: fixed typo- misspelled "Cobain")

* lots of makers make them, but they're not necessarily cheap...but you only need one.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jun 13, 2013,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Hmmm...

Were I doing this myself, I'd probably opt for either a Reverend Double Agent or a Godin Richmond Empire P90...but I live in the USA and my pockets are pretty deep.

Given your situation, assuming a lower budget and problems buying stuff from smaller brands I could still get close to that by getting a Jaguar HH and swapping out the neck humbucker with a good humbucker-sized P90.*

But that's a fancy way of doing things.

Either a stock Jaguar or Mustang- especially the Conain Mustang- would be fine as is. The trick would be learning how to use your amp & pedals to get the tones you want. Modding a guitar like that, or buying something unusual like the Double Agent or Empire P90 just makes that task a little easier.

* lots of makers make them, but they're not necessarily cheap...but you only need one.

my budget is not as low as you think you can you offer me their preferences
Would you prefer if you would jaguar or mustang?
Personally, I wouldn't go with any Fender.

Not because I think they're bad- because they are good guitars- but because I have never found a a fender that feels comfy to me. There is some subtle thing they are doing that just doesn't work for me.

So I can recommend them, but I don't plan on ever buying one.

Edit: sorry for misspelling Cobain as "Conain"- fixed it.

I think you mean G&L and Godin, right? And Fret-King.* At least for Strats...

Though I guess you could consider some of the Revs very much like Teles.

* I love my Fret-King.

Which reminds me!

Take a look at this:

http://www.fretsguitarcentre.co.uk/contents/en-uk/p1733_Fret-King_Super_60SP.html

I have the HSS version of this guitar from this retailer. (The version in that link has a P90 in the bridge instead of a HB.) It is a very well made guitar, and it delivers some nice tones. Fret-King has some others that might work as well, but I'm not sure as to the price.

Another F-K I'd consider is this:
http://www.fretsguitarcentre.co.uk/contents/en-uk/p1367_Fret-King_Esprit_3_-_Cherry_Red.html

Like I said, I live in the USA, and these guys are in the UK, so they DO handle international orders. At least some. They were quite helpful and I didn't find a better price on the guitar I bought, so if you do like what you see, drop them an email.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jun 13, 2013,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Which reminds me!

Take a look at this:

http://www.fretsguitarcentre.co.uk/contents/en-uk/p1733_Fret-King_Super_60SP.html

I have the HSS version of this guitar from this retailer. (The version in that link has a P90 in the bridge instead of a HB.) It is a very well made guitar, and it delivers some nice tones. Fret-King has some others that might work as well, but I'm not sure as to the price.

Another F-K I'd consider is this:
http://www.fretsguitarcentre.co.uk/contents/en-uk/p1367_Fret-King_Esprit_3_-_Cherry_Red.html

Like I said, I live in the USA, and these guys are in the UK, so they DO handle international orders. At least some. They were quite helpful and I didn't find a better price on the guitar I bought, so if you do like what you see, drop them an email.
Thank you for helping me, but I'm thinking of buying an original fender.
Last edited by OKKurtCobain at Jun 14, 2013,
I http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-FENDER-KURT-COBAIN-JAGUAR-SNBST-WC-109090560-i3192715.gc played on one of these. I dug it a lot except its a copy of his guitar and is distressed like his and I have a hard time paying for a brand new guitar that has dings in it . But I would just get a strat and put dimarzio super distortion in it just like cobain
Last edited by dlowe102 at Jun 14, 2013,
Anything vintage I'd say, with genres like Alterna Rock or Punk, or in this case both; you shouldn't try to copy anyone specific, try to find your own comfort zone and create something original. If you're doing something grunge-esque then I'd suggest chasing some old-school psychedelic tone and then slapping a lot of gain on it. Personally I use a Telecaster with humbuckers and feed it through a OD808 and a Small Clone, instant 90s alternative tone.

Find whatever combination of gear you're comfortable with and create something new. That's the grunge spirit.
Vinland, Vinland Über Alles

"Why do they still call me a warlord? And mad? All I want to do is create the perfect genetic soldier!"
Quote by OKKurtCobain
Thank you for helping me, but I'm thinking of buying an original fender.

No prob!

Then I'd just go back to what I said in post #25: either of those Fenders, stock, is well suited to the genre, but swapping out a P90 for the neck humbucker in the Jag could give you a bit more of the tones you wanted.

But as I implied and EqualOfHeaven outright states, with the right stuff, you can use pedals to dial in tones that your pickups don't normally generate.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jun 14, 2013,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
No prob!

Then I'd just go back to what I said in post #25: either of those Fenders, stock, is well suited to the genre, but swapping out a P90 for the neck humbucker in the Jag could give you a bit more of the tones you wanted.

But as I implied and EqualOfHeaven outright states, with the right stuff, you can use pedals to dial in tones that your pickups don't normally generate.

you tried to answer my questions, thank you very much, think about what you say
I was replying in another thread and reminded myself of something that you might find relevant: the Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster has a HB in the bridge and an oversized singlecoil of some kind in the neck.

Now, at $500, it mid-priced guitar. But it could do the job. Fender may also make a higher-end version of it.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/fender-blacktop-jazzmaster-hs-electric-guitar

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jun 15, 2013,