Hey everyone,

I've been playing guitar for the past 6/7 years now and my music taste has changed alot over them years. Currently I am really into heavier stuff like BMTH and Slipknot and it is really annoying trying to play the band I love blink-182 and these bands. I own an Epiphone G-400 (I will put a link at the very bottom for specs) and I know it aint really the greatest of guitars but it does the trick. Here is the problem....:

I want to be able to drop down to around A# yet still play standard E tuning. I have no idea on different stringing or whether my guitar will be able to handle the tension of thicker strings and I was hoping you guys/girls will be able to help me and point me in the right direction. Like I said above the link to my guitar specs are down below so any help would be amazing!

Many Thanks

Nathan

The link : [forbidden link]
The link seems to be forbidden but I found this on the UG website!

[forbidden link]

*EDIT* Still won't let me add links sorry
Those tensions are way too different to be switching between. Besides the adverse affect that would have on your neck, there is simply no gauge of strings that can do that.

Get a second guitar. Get something used if money is an issue. There are a lot of great deals on Guitar Center for used guitars.

I just did a quick search and found this:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-DEAN-DOUBLE-CUTAWAY-DUAL-HUMBUCKER-BLACK-ELEC-GUITAR-109050569-i3162235.gc
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Thanks alot for your reply it helps alot. I was thinking of getting a Gibson and using that as my main guitar and the Epiphone as the one I would drop tune but do you think form looking at the specs the guitar will handle it?
Tuning is all about tension. String tension counteracts tuning. Any guitar can "handle" low tunings - you just need an adequate string tension to balance out.

Scale length adds a little or takes away a little tension. Nothing major. On a shorter scale like Gibsons and Epiphones have, just go up a gauge. Not a big deal, like a lot of people make it out to be. When you understand the physics behind what's going on, it's all very simple.

For Drop A# you could start out with the 12-60 set that D'Addario makes. I use that for C Standard, and Drop A# is just C Std with the lowest string dropped.

If you have Gibson money and you want a new guitar, answer these questions in a new thread, and we'll help you find something that works for you. https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1497696
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X