Hey guys.

I'm feeling a bit lost with all the information.

I have always recorded by micing my amp with a SM57 into my Tascam US122 into Reaper into my PC. But my neighbours complain and I like my flat so I don't need the hassle.

Here's what I want to do.

I want to be able to record silently and get a decent tone. Stuff like blues, rock, hard rock, stoner, jazz etc. Hendrix,Led Zeppelin, Pumpkin, QotSA type stuff. so I can just plug in, use headphones and record somewhat decent tones, but without annoying my neighbours.

I have a good set up so I know that would be the optimal way to record and I wont be able to get that tone if I use a lesser alternative but it's just for home use, and if it's a decent tone that's good enough.

I did have a Boss GT100 but when I used headphones with it to play or record higher gain or really bassy/stoner like tones it couldn't really take it, it just came out distorted. I sold that a while ago.

What would I need to record straight into my computer that has the ability to somewhat replicate my amps (Supersonic 212)? So I could listen while I play with no latency and record, playback etc. My budget is around £300 - £500.

I am getting a Mac Book Pro Retina in the next couple of weeks and I know that there are some uses with Garage Band to model amps and distortion etc. How good is it and do you need extra hardware? I can't imagine the sound card would make for a good, unfuzzy tone which leads me to believe that if I were to use the amp modelling on Garage Band I'd need to spend some money on something that enables me to record a good,clean base tone.

If I plug straight into the Tascam again, it sounds fuzzy and awful (should I be able to successfully use it?) and I guess that if I were to plug straight into the computer it'll sound awful too. I have a Boss RC-30 too.

Would something like iRig HD with some modellers be a good idea?

So, any suggestions? Thanks!
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Last edited by Mephaphil at Jun 8, 2013,
Guitar -> Tascam 122 -> DAW-> Amplitube 3.9 or Guitar Rig (I use both)-> Headphones

DAW of your choice (reaper, cubase, protools, LOGIC (for mac, i miss it so much!))

That is 100% enough to do good quality recordings in your house
Since 2002 using UG. This page teached me how to play guitar and help'd me to embrace the passion of my life: Music.
Thanks.

I always found the guitar sounded pretty distorted when using the Tascam. But I think I did try and distort the tone with the level of input, it was a long time ago.

Do I basically just want as clean a tone as possible which then gets manipulated by the modeller?

Would the US122 sound better than the iRig HD or is it negligible? Is it worth getting one just so I can plug it in easier? Or should I stick with what I have?

I want ease of use and the ability to get decent tone, if I can do that with what I have then cool, but if it's even easier and just as good with something else I'd like to look at that as an option, if you know what that could be.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Last edited by Mephaphil at Jun 8, 2013,
TBH if you asked me if a modelling plugin could give me good tones a month ago, I would have told you no ****ing way miked amp 4 teh organic tonez or bust. Then I tried amplitube and now I'm a believer.

I still use my real pedals into my interface with amplitube as the amp sound and have found that to work well, so my chain is:

Guitar>my secret ultra-huge dirt tone pedal combo recipe >other pedals>zoom G3 (as the interface)>amplitube in reaper

I've been getting exactly the tone I want on my stuff and recording is as silent as strumming an unplugged electric guitar. Amplitube has a bunch of pedal and biamping options too. I have the supersonic model (it comes with the fender pack, which is totally worth getting), I haven't tried it, but it's there for you if all you really wanted was a model of your supersonic.

Edit: btw you want as straight up of a tone as possible, idk about other modelers but amplitube can add all the volume I've ever needed on a recording. The best way to do it is basically treat it like an amp (with your interface being the input jack), either feed it your direct signal or the one coming off your pedals.
Last edited by tukk04 at Jun 8, 2013,
To preserve the tone, I'd build a soundproof "big box" in which you can put your amp to record.
I guess you can find tutorials on how to do that on the internet.+

If you don't want/don't have the time to do that, let's go for the digital stuff.

The buzz you get from your interface is most likely due to impedance difference (I'm not really sure what that theoretically means :P).
If you feel smarter than me, go here.
If you don't, you just need to know that the guitar output has a high impedance (between 500k and 1M ohm), and your interface has line outputs (between 1k and 10k ohm).
If you want to put your guitar through there, you just need a DI box, which converts your signal from high-impedanced to low-impedanced.
Or, looking at a couple of photos of your interface, you could pout the little switch on "guitar" position.
If that doesn't solve your problem, your interface probably has a problem on its own.

Try it with another guitar and another cable, and if that doesn't solve the problem, it could be the right time to get another audio interface!

I'd get the Mackie Onyx Blackjack ($170) if I was you.

Then, once you have your guitar signal into your computer, you gotta get some amp simulating stuff, which can also be expensive.
If you're a pirate, try them all (Guitar Rig, Amplitube, bx_rockrack pro, Revalver, your favorite DAW's amp modelling plugin...)
The best I could find were Logic's built in "Guitar Amp Pro", which is pretty ugly compared to the non pro one, but sounds better, and bx_rockrack pro.

If you want to spend a lot of money instead, you could buy an ENGL e530 preamp, and run it through your current interface.
Then you should be good with just a cabinet simulator (built in in every amp modelling software, but probably better if standalone like ReCabinet).

I'd choose the first thing though.
It can really be a pain in the ass to have to wait for your computer to start every time you have a nice idea for a riff.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.