I've had my 7 string (an Ibanez RG7321) for a while, and I still have the stock pick ups in it. They have so much low end in them that the seventh string sounds really muddy.

I was looking at the DiMarzio DP708 (Mike Petrucci's signature pickup), does anyone have any experience with that or is there any other really good 7 string pickups?
Q is for Cheese
Quote by KinkyC
DiMarzio DP708 (Mike Petrucci's signature pickup)

You mean John Pettrucci

Them and Bareknuckles
Liquifire and Crunchlab. Hands down.
My Old Progressive Metal Band:
Acrasia
For fans of Between The Buried and Me, Dream Theater, Cynic.

My New Progressive Rock/Djent Band:
Wings Denied
For fans of Deftones, Tesseract, Periphery, Karnivool, Cynic.
Quote by sl1pk0t001
You mean John Pettrucci

Oh wow, total brain fart
Q is for Cheese
If we knew what kind of sound you wanted to get, and what amp you were playing through, we could give you actual suggestions.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
If we knew what kind of sound you wanted to get, and what amp you were playing through, we could give you actual suggestions.

I'm looking for a thick but clear tone like John Petrucci from Dream Theater or Adam Jones from Tool. As I said the stock pickups have so much low end that everything on the 7th string sounds muddy, so I'm trying to find a pickup that sounds a lot clearer. I play through a Fender 65 watt solid state amp.
Q is for Cheese
Might as well go for a Crunch Lab/Liquifire Set. Can't go too wrong.

I was gonna recommend EMGs but they won't fit in your guitar.

Maybe D Activators.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I'm going with a CL/LF pair in my rg1527. If you're looking for the DT type tone, why not use what he uses? Then again you might not notice a whole lot of difference because of your amp. I'd almost suggest that you sell the Fender, take the money for pickup upgrade and buy a peavey vypyr 30.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
I would get a better amp too. It will give you a lot better sound than the shit you have.
Quote by JackovSlayer
I would get a better amp too. It will give you a lot better sound than the shit you have.

Oh yeah, I'm aware my amp isn't the greatest, but if I could spend $100 on pickups vs. $700 or $800 for a decent sized tube amp, I'd rather go with the pickups, just because I don't have an extra $600 lying around.

Maybe I'll go with the Peavey amp the other poster was talking about. Does anyone have experience with that?
Q is for Cheese
I haven't played that peavey, but they are very popular recomendation on this forum. I guess there's a good reason for that.
Quote by DarthV
take the money for pickup upgrade and buy a peavey vypyr tube 60.

Fixed.

TS, don't even bother with pickups until you get a new amp.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by KinkyC
Oh yeah, I'm aware my amp isn't the greatest, but if I could spend $100 on pickups vs. $700 or $800 for a decent sized tube amp, I'd rather go with the pickups, just because I don't have an extra $600 lying around.

Whilst this usually sounds like a good idea, its a complete waste of money and very flawed.

New pickups through a bad amp is just wasting $100. You'll never have $600-800 (not that you even need that much to upgrade your setup) if you just throw money at cheap false solutions.

Trust us, been there, done that. I'd second the recommendation of the Vypyr Tube 60, seriously good amp. Amp first, pickups later.
What does everybody think of the new Seymour Duncan 7 string pickup range? the Pegasus, Nazgul and Sentient. They arent cheap by any means, but are said to kill the Crunch Lab and threaten with Bareknuckles' title as the 7/8 string pickup of choice for tone.

I am stuck between the pricepoint of the CL vs the things i have heard about the Nazgul in particular. and help? (this isnt a thread hijack either :P it is relevant, i promise!!)
Looking for any of your spare 12" speakers or electronic components (valves, transformers, anything!) and a Peavey Wolfgang USA. Message me!

I want your broken/unwanted gear, UK only. Message me!
I would stick to passives since that's what the guitar is designed for. Before you ask "which passive?" take a listen to this Youtube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryzie8mham8

You don't have to go the Seymour Duncan route but it's a good place to start and get an idea of what you want.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Quote by Wesbanez
Whilst this usually sounds like a good idea, its a complete waste of money and very flawed.

New pickups through a bad amp is just wasting $100. You'll never have $600-800 (not that you even need that much to upgrade your setup) if you just throw money at cheap false solutions.

Trust us, been there, done that. I'd second the recommendation of the Vypyr Tube 60, seriously good amp. Amp first, pickups later.

+311

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
The amp is the go to, you have the guitar, next get the amp then if you're still not getting a great tone go pickups and pedals. If you're looking for clarity and a lot of dynamic response check out some reviews on the Lace Deathbar or X-Bar, its a passive alternative to BK or Duncan, and has a look and sound all its own, without losing power or distinction on the top string.