I'm looking for a new guitar, that is of better quality than my current one (Epiphone G400, which I bought as my first guitar, 2.5 years ago). My biggest question is: will a $500-600 guitar be a significant upgrade over a $350 guitar. I was suggested by someone to save up for a Carvin (where I would be looking at $1700), but that isn't very practical for me at this point.

By the way, I'm left handed.

Budget: $500-600 CAD

Favourite Artists / Genres: Looking for a versatile guitar that would cover anything from classic rock to jazz (Beatles, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Steely Dan, Stevie Wonder).

Preferences: I would like a Strat style body, 22 frets, rosewood fretboard.

Pickups: A guitar with both single coils and a humbucker would be great in terms of versatility.

New or Used: Preferably new.

Current Gear: Epiphone G400, Vox AC4TV, EH Holy Grail Nano.
I'd suggest looking into MIM Fenders or the Squier Classic Vibe Series. They're about comparable in terms of quality and I find them great bang for your buck.

EDIT: Just a random example right here, http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/fender-standard-stratocaster-hss-electric-guitar/h76531000007001
I know its a LP-style body, but give this a try (I don't know if Godin does lefties):

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EmpireRBk/

That version of the Empire has a HB and a singlecoil. They're a quality maker, though, and they're based in Canada.

Tradition is a Texas company with production in Korea (as I recall). They make a variety of guitars based on LPs, Teles, Strats and a couple of others, in 3 different price ranges. Normally, you can order a guitar from them directly at a discounted price. However, they're rebuilding their website right now! If you're in a hurry, going through a dealer may be your only option. They do lefties.

http://www.traditionguitars.com/default.html
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jun 9, 2013,
I can't get into the website atm as i am on my phone, I remember noticing that ibanez had a pretty good range of lefties.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I know this is used, butit is worth considering:

http://www.jimlaabsmusic.com/guitars/electric-guitars/richmond-belmont-burgundy-electric-used/prod_6115.html

This is another Godin guitar, and its list price is around $800 new. It has a Seymour Duncan '59 Humbucker in the bridge- a nice pickup for classic rock tones- and Seymour Duncan Lipstick singlecoils in the middle and neck positions.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Crap- forgot the leftie bit.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jun 9, 2013,
I would look into an Ibanez S series if you want single coils and humbuckers on a strat-style body with a rosewood fretboard. They're great and used for everything from Jazz to death metal.
If you want something a bit more vintage looking, go with a mid-range Fender.
Quote by johnyere
I'm looking for a new guitar, that is of better quality than my current one (Epiphone G400, which I bought as my first guitar, 2.5 years ago). My biggest question is: will a $500-600 guitar be a significant upgrade over a $350 guitar. I was suggested by someone to save up for a Carvin (where I would be looking at $1700), but that isn't very practical for me at this point.

By the way, I'm left handed.

Budget: $500-600 CAD

Favourite Artists / Genres: Looking for a versatile guitar that would cover anything from classic rock to jazz (Beatles, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Steely Dan, Stevie Wonder).

Preferences: I would like a Strat style body, 22 frets, rosewood fretboard.

Pickups: A guitar with both single coils and a humbucker would be great in terms of versatility.

New or Used: Preferably new.

Current Gear: Epiphone G400, Vox AC4TV, EH Holy Grail Nano.

Not to steer you or this thread down a different path but a Carvin is not nearly that much if you don't want it to be. Did you even go to the website and check man? $699 Bolt classic if you just get everything standard.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog/guitars/bolt

I'll even build one for you and see what the price is then. Gimme a sec.

Look, even adding a few bells and whistles still came out less than 900 dollars.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/cart/cart.php?id=3624950f48d984595726b3d538772203

Anyway, to answer your question, yes that would be a fairly significant upgrade. At that range of guitar prices and material 100-200 dollars makes a pretty good upgrade. It's not until you get into 1000 dollar + guitars that you need to really add the dollars up.
Quote by Fishyesque
Well, you might make her think otherwise.

You could just show her that you have a PS3 and BANG.

Heterosexual.

Quote by metal4all
A chainsaw can take a girl off her feet pretty nicely. Then there are less limbs to worry about while you rape her.
Last edited by BlueAltitudes at Jun 9, 2013,
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Look at what I found for you completely accidentally haha! "MINT! Carvin USA Lefty Left-Handed Bolt With G&G Tweed Hard Case". It even has a Birdseye Maple Fretboard and a sweet Tweed Hard Case (I have one and they are awesome)! I would jump on that if I were in your shoes man.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MINT-Carvin-USA-Lefty-Left-Handed-Bolt-With-G-G-Tweed-Hard-Case-/390607779589?pt=Guitar&hash=item5af209b705
Quote by Fishyesque

Heterosexual.

Quote by metal4all
A chainsaw can take a girl off her feet pretty nicely. Then there are less limbs to worry about while you rape her.
Last edited by BlueAltitudes at Jun 9, 2013,
I'm actually looking at the Godin Session right now, any thoughts on Godin guitars?

Also, with Carvin, I was suggested the CT3 model, which is why I said it would cost $1700. The Classic Bolt would be around $1000.

edit: My options right now are to either get the Godin Session ($550) or save up for a custom made Carvin ($1000). I'm leaning towards saving up for the Carvin. This is an instrument I'm looking to keep, so the bad resale value on the Carvin won't be an issue.
Last edited by johnyere at Jun 9, 2013,
Find a Jap made Levinson blade. it is simply the best Strat ever made (IMO) and has a dinky midboost to thicken it up. Highly recommended.
Godins tend to be very well made guitars, and I have a few on my G.A.S. list. However, a Carvin would essentially be a bit more customize to your personal needs & desires.

You can't go wrong either way, honestly- they're both going to be "lifetime" guitars. But if you're patient and can save up for the Carvin, I think you'd be happier in the long run.

thanks for the input guys, i've decided to save up for the Carvin Bolt Classic...
Are you going to go for that one on ebay? Are you going to make your own? I'm just curious because I have a Carvin and so that's why I found it interesting when you mentioned the cost. Mine was around 1800 dollars but that's because I got the Jason Becker guitar with some custom options but for a Bolt Classic you could get one less than a 1000.
Quote by Fishyesque

Heterosexual.

Quote by metal4all
Heck- don't they offer the Bolt kits in lefty? If so, and you're a handy sort, you could have a top-notch guitar for under $800 and some sweat.

BlueAltitudes: i'm going to build my own, i appreciate the help though!

dannyalcatraz: i have absolutely no experience building/repairing guitars, so the kit isn't really an option.
Well, you're not alone!

Haha, if only we were all so handy with building/repairing guitars danny! Then we could all order kits!

johnyere: No problem man, just trying to help out and to spread some Carvin love around here because I think they deserve more. If I was into stratocasters and I was lefty I would jump on that one I posted on ebay .
Quote by Fishyesque

Heterosexual.

Quote by metal4all