I have had a MH400 LTD for about 4 years and played the heck out of it. It has the first 3-4 frets worn and in the middle of the neck. It is the areas used the most I know. I will have them leveled.

My question is how long do your frets typically last. If you are a soft player that just strums I guess they will last for ever, but those that actually play aggressive notes with solos and vibratos and bends do you have to get the frets replaced and leveled every 5-6 years or do you just keep on grinding them down?

Have any of you had to have frets replaced?

Thanks.
I have had my strat refretted a few times. It will start to develop fret buzz after 6-9 months. Keep in mind I play hard on the same guitar for at least 7 hours a day. Just keep getting them leveled/crowned until playability becomes an issue or there simply isn't enough fret left to level. If you have particularly bad wear on a few select frets, sometimes it would be beneficial to do a partial refret.
Also one thing I thought I would mention would be that some metals are softer than others. Different brands friends wear differently. One of my Les Pauls is getting bad, but i have older guitars that have been played more.

To AFR if you burn through frets so quick have you considered stainless ?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
Also one thing I thought I would mention would be that some metals are softer than others. Different brands friends wear differently. One of my Les Pauls is getting bad, but i have older guitars that have been played more.

To AFR if you burn through frets so quick have you considered stainless ?

Yes, I have. The main problem is that I usually do my own fretwork and I don't know if I'm quite up to that task yet. Also no one in my area works with steel frets, so I'd have to take a trip to the nearest larger city. Do you have any experience with them?
There is no real set time for fret wear. It's either worn, or it isn't. The second you start getting dents in the frets or the crowns start to flatten out then it's time to get some crowning work done.

The last thing you want to do is let this go for a while because all that will do is take a $60 crowning job and make it so bad you'll end up having to spend $200+ on a whole refret. At that point you might as well just buy a new neck.

It's all about preventative maintenance. Get it taken care of when it first starts you'll be fine for the life of the guitar. Let it go and you'll be getting fret jobs done every few years.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Quote by In-Flight-Radio
Yes, I have. The main problem is that I usually do my own fretwork and I don't know if I'm quite up to that task yet. Also no one in my area works with steel frets, so I'd have to take a trip to the nearest larger city. Do you have any experience with them?

i haven't ever owned a guitar with them, but i have played two guitars with them for a little while. not long enough to make a solid judgement. IIRC and EVH and a Carvin

i was just curious because you go through them so fast, and from what i hear that stainless frets seem to last forever. if you are doing it them yourself i would just keep doing what you are doing as long as you have good success.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/