How much can you really negotiate with Guitar Center. I'm looking at a guitar that's listed at $2999. Do you think you can get more than 20%?
, there's no way in hell that you will get more. MF is the easiest of the net.

Also if you have a gc in your state you pay sales tax.

And on the other hand if you're buying blind you could get a dud and become its a hassle.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
if you walk in with cash they might consider a discount

otherwise probably not
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Depends also on wether it is a new or used guitar. They tend to have wiggle room on used equipment, where as on new stuff they have to keep set price points.
-----------------------------------
G.A.S. Afflicted
GC used to haggle a little, but not any more. If they do negotiate with you, watch out for one of their tricks. They'll quote you a lower price on the guitar, but it's without the carrying case. When they write up the ticket, they'll add the case as a separate item and you still end up paying the same amount.

The only way to get a discount at GC is if the guitar has some blemmishes. They will knock off some for scratch and dent items.

As already mentioned, Musician's Friend is one of the easier ones to deal with for negotiating. Also, ZZounds will work with you. Sweetwater does not price match, but I've been told you can get them to deal a little.
What kind of stupid company doesn't price match?
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Quote by Mephaphil
GC, from the looks of this thread.
"I think, as a musician, you should practice your technique to be as good as you need to be to facilitate whatever ideas come into your head."
- Devin Townsend
Quote by Mephaphil

This.

Do your research, find the best price you can find on the web & quote that at them in your negotiations. Tell them you'll go there if they don't match it (or at least make them give an offer worth paying for).

And like the guy earlier said, make sure they include stuff like the case in the price you're talking about.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Be offensive about it. Insulting. If it's 100 offer them 65 then go up from there. It's important to set a really low price to start with, then you get it cheaper. All it comes down to is starting with an insultingly low starting price and stubbornness. You're the one with the money. They need the sale.
They’re not going to do more than 15% unless it’s something on clearance that they really want to unload. Depending on the brand they may not be able to come down on the price at all, because some guitar makers fix their prices (Especially Rickenbacker). GC stores will match internet prices. If you want to haggle do it on a weekday morning when the store is empty and they’re happy to sell anything.
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
Be offensive about it. Insulting. If it's 100 offer them 65 then go up from there. It's important to set a really low price to start with, then you get it cheaper. All it comes down to is starting with an insultingly low starting price and stubbornness. You're the one with the money. They need the sale.

low-balling only works in about 30% of cases

if you won't budge too much on your ridiculously low offer they can just say "ah well, we'll sell it to someone else" then ask you to leave.

the more you buy, the more you can get off ("foot in the door" technique) you've already bought one item, maybe got a couple of $ off that (say $20 instead of $22) and negotiations have already started...

if you're after a $2999 guitar, go in there, buy a pedal for say $60 something else mediocre, maybe an amp for $200 and then make the guitar your last selection and offer them $2999 for all 3 items. then sell the amp and pedal, unless you really want them... money off!

corporations don't really like shifting on prices, independent music shops are probably more likely to shift on prices to make shelf-space, places like GC, their employees are probably on a wage not commission so they have no loyalty to the company so they have no benefit of making a sale.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
No most GC floor employees are commission based pay

You can get some decent deals at GC but nothing spectacular most of the time.

Small stores will work much more at times.

I bought my PRS in 2004 the tag was MSRP $2350 and their price was $1995. I asked what the best price I could get with cash in hand right now and they said $1675. I offered them $1400and we haggled a little and I paid $1425+ tax for a brand new PRS CE22. The catch was it was a 2002 model so it was basically NOS on the shelf. This was a smaller local store, GC wanted more than what I paid for a used one at the time I bought mine
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jun 11, 2013,
The one near me wouldn't even haggle on a Schecter C-1 I was looking at with a HUGE chip in the finish. They offered to pay the tax, I said f*ck off.
GC was willing to price match for my PRS SE Santana... but you have to be able to prove the price with an advertisement or email with a quote from the sales department of the company with the low price. Most companies will not give an email quote. I got my Santana from sweetwater... they came down from 724 to 625
PRS SE Santana - Santana III Bass/Treble
ESP LTD EC400vf - Gibson Zebra 496R/500T
AXL Badwater SRO - GFS OW Liverpool, SD Duckbucker, SD JB
Mitchell Acoustic MD100SCE
Peavey Vypyr 100
The smaller the company the easier it is to haggle... here's why.

I used to work at a music store. It was a real small mom and pop typle of store. Except the "pop" was my drummer who made his money selling drugs. He had enough to open the music store. But it was a real store.

Anyway...

Here's how it works. At certain times of the month the payment for the "floor planning" is due. Floor planning is the inventory that you get on credit.

The point is when the payment is due they are far more open to "negotiating" a price because they've got to pay their suppliers.

Also if they are paid on commission, then at the end of the month they have to move product to get their commissions. Depending on how they are paid they might just need to do "$500 more in sales" to get that spiff they want.

If you find something you want get one of the sales people who are on commission, and tell them what you want to pay... if they say no then just give them your number and tell them if things change on the price... give you a call. I bet you might get that call at the end of the month or when the next floorplan payment is due.
I've gotten some really good deals on damaged goods. I am not ever deceitful but i get every dollar i can., complain go up a manager go up another manager, etc.

Another way to really get something backordered, and the date gets backed up more complain. If it gets pushed back, complain again. They will take good care of you. Twice it has to a manager saying that they are at cost. But i did wait 4ish months for one and a little more more..

I buy most everything used now, and deal only mf or m123 matching a better deal.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
If it isn't in perfect condition (some noticeable wear, chips, significant scratches) then ask for a discount. Once an employee agrees to the discount present a discount coupon that you can print out from the website Student Rate and you will get an additional 4% cash back =)
This was weeks ago mate, he's got his answer and probably the guitar, or not.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.