Hello, i'm currently building my first steel string guitar and i'm a bit lost with inches. I'm familiar with reading inches on tapes, but according to the source i'm using the body joins the neck 14 3/3" away from the nut of the guitar. How much is 14 3/3" in CMs? Am i even typing it right? And can someone help me out so i can convert similar measuremtns in the future on my own? I've done research on it, but i couldn't find anything. If you guys could hook me up with anything that might help it would be very much appreciated!
3/3 would equal 1. I'm sure you're reading something incorrectly, or it's just a poor source I'm not sure.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Oh okay, watched the video you PM'ed me. He says fourteen and three thirty-seconds. Or.. 14 3/32". I should've seen that error in the OP. Hope this helps!
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Quote by JanesLastResort
.....And can someone help me out so i can convert similar measuremtns in the future on my own? I've done research on it, but i couldn't find anything. If you guys could hook me up with anything that might help it would be very much appreciated!

You did research on conversion but couldn't find a site, any site, that tells you that 1" = 25.4mm = 2.54cm??

I don't think you're researching very hard.
'It takes 100 guitar players to change a light. One to change the light and 99 to stand around pointing, saying..."Yeah man, look...I can do that too"...'

My gear is in my Profile

Builds & Refurbs
Hondo 780 Deluxe
Gibson Studio
Epi LP100
Last edited by Phoenix V at Jun 9, 2013,
Quote by Lavatain
Oh okay, watched the video you PM'ed me. He says fourteen and three thirty-seconds. Or.. 14 3/32". I should've seen that error in the OP. Hope this helps!

Cheers man, i was sure i typed it wrong! It was hard to understand what he was talking about to be honest and we don't use inches much in central europe especially not like this! I never heard of something like 3/32" and i grew up in england ha.

But i was lucky to talk to my carpenter friend yesterday and it turns out that 3/32" is basically 1.5/16 of an inch, wich would be 2,38mms. So all is well now.

Thanks again!
Last edited by JanesLastResort at Jun 10, 2013,
Quote by JanesLastResort
Cheers man, i was sure i typed it wrong! It was hard to understand what he was talking about to be honest and we don't use inches much in central europe especially not like this! I never heard of something like 3/32" and i grew up in england ha.

But i was lucky to talk to my carpenter friend yesterday and it turns out that 3/32" is basically 1.5/16 of an inch, wich would be 2,38mms. So all is well now.

Thanks again!

Rounding off fractions is not a good idea in guitar building... It may not seem like a lot, but rounding off 3/32" to 5/16 is a big difference, and big mistake.
Quote by Explorerbuilder
Rounding off fractions is not a good idea in guitar building... It may not seem like a lot, but rounding off 3/32" to 5/16 is a big difference, and big mistake.

No he said 1.5/16, which is a rather odd way of mixing up decimal and fraction but there you go.

14 and 3/32 in centimetres is pretty easy. All you have to do is divide 3 by 32 and add 14 which gives you 14.09375 then multiply by 2.54 = 35.8 cm (rounded off a bit obviously).
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by eddiehimself
No he said 1.5/16, which is a rather odd way of mixing up decimal and fraction but there you go.

14 and 3/32 in centimetres is pretty easy. All you have to do is divide 3 by 32 and add 14 which gives you 14.09375 then multiply by 2.54 = 35.8 cm (rounded off a bit obviously).

Thanks! It will definitely come in handy in the future!