So, I'm in the US, Boston specifically, and I'm looking to pick up a couple of new cables for stage use. I'm not averse to buying local, but if I can find a much, much better deal online then that's obviously the way to go. Anybody have any suggestions for what brands, how much I should expect to shell out, and where I ought to look? It's been a few years since I've actually had to buy cables.
The cheapest way would be to buy a spool of cable and make your own. If you don't want to do that, there really isn't a place where you can find cables considerably cheaper than retail value that will be worth a damn, except maybe eBay.

Check around your local shops for promotions. I think GC is running one right now.
www.guitarfetish.com has some really nice monster cable style for $20ish 25ft. it has gold plated 1/4 ends and silver coated copper wire
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The cheapest way for me is just buying any cables with lifetime warranties. Whatever you spend on them, you never have to buy cables again. So it saves a lot in the long run.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by ibanezguitars44
The cheapest way for me is just buying any cables with lifetime warranties. Whatever you spend on them, you never have to buy cables again. So it saves a lot in the long run.
This. I just buy cheap LiveWires and take them back to GC if I ever have problems (not often at all) and they replace them no questions asked.
Make sure you see how far into the run a lifetime cable is.

I bought some monster ones and they were discontinued and I couldn't get a replacement.
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
Quote by Kyleisthename
Make sure you see how far into the run a lifetime cable is.

I bought some monster ones and they were discontinued and I couldn't get a replacement.
I thought that in that case they would just give you the modern equivalent. That's what most companies do.
The hardest part about making cables is not applying too much heat so that it melts the inner insulation. That's all about dialing in the right temperature and practice. Get a half decent temperature controlled soldering station and one of these:

It's called a third hand.

And practice, practice, practice.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I bought a bunch of PW American stage cables on ebay, and the 20 footers come with 3 sets of d'addario strings, for $29. The PW neutrik connectors even have a crimping strain relief like mic cables, and are very nice cables. I put away my mogamis for studio use and use the American stage cables a lot more. The actual cable is also nice and limber.

Otherwise I make my own, can't wait for the PW neutrik connectors to become available.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
i have GFS. a solid purchase. im not expecting them to be a lifetime warranty, but for what i piad i am happy with them.

the monster rock series is actually a good cable if you want to pay for it. i recently stumbled on the new planet waves american cables which i think have a really really well designed tip to ensure good connection, however, they are of course expensive.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by ikey_
i have GFS. a solid purchase. im not expecting them to be a lifetime warranty, but for what i piad i am happy with them.

the monster rock series is actually a good cable if you want to pay for it. i recently stumbled on the new planet waves american cables which i think have a really really well designed tip to ensure good connection, however, they are of course expensive.

GFS makes a decent cable, just don't get the ones with the gray shrinkwrap around the ends. The 1/4" shaft actually rotates in place, so the contruction is actually 3 pieces: the large outer sleeve, a threaded tube, and then the actual 1/4" shaft that is the plug.

I got the american stage cables I mentioned above for $30 for 20 feet, includes 3 sets of strings. MF just happens to be the most expensive place to get them right now.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra