Since I had a lot of copper tape left over from shielding up my Kramer and only having to solder it into the circuit, I decided to put some copper tape in the cavity of my Les Paul.

I took the knobs off the pots and loosened the washers. After that, I opened the cavity up and slid the pots and output jack out of place with no problems then the shielding began. Throughout the entire process, I did NOT unhook any wires or pull anything out of its connection. Once I finished shielding, I slid them into place and tested them to see if they worked, which they dd, so I know if the knobs would be on correct.

I plugged the Les Paul into my little practice amp (Spider 3) with the master volume on a decent level and I get no sound. I switch between pickups and move all the knobs back and forth with no luck at getting signal. Does anyone know what's wrong? Do I have to solder the shielding in right this instance? (I'm waiting for my dad to solder since he's more of the handyman here.)

Thanks!
Skip the username, call me Billy
Yeah, I didn't think it. It's just odd that it happened.

Also, I find it weird since the controls did work (and very well at that) after I shielded it and was seeing which way to put the knobs on. So, they did work after I put everything back in place and now when I went to play, there was nothing. I may have broke a wire but I honestly can't see where it would've broken off of.
Maybe you're shorting the signal to ground somewhere. Grab a diagram/schematic and make sure the wires are all in place, then make sure that only the ground is exposed to the shield.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
The hot and ground wires could be touching on the output jack from where you moved everything. This would be my guess as you've got no sound from anything at all.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Quote by Explorerbuilder
Did the pots twist when you re tightened them? That is usually the case for broken wires when you put stuff back together.

I believe the tone knob for the bridge did but it was more that it was still loose and the wires didn't look like they were damaged from what I've seen.

Quote by Lavatain
The hot and ground wires could be touching on the output jack from where you moved everything. This would be my guess as you've got no sound from anything at all.

I didn't check that out so I will tomorrow morning. It makes sense since the pots did work a bit after I pieced them back together. I'll double check everything tomorrow when I'm not so tired and what not.

Edit: I found out the problem. It was apparently the way I put the the output jack back in. I just had to adjust it and the controls are working again.
Last edited by aerosmithfan95 at Jun 10, 2013,