I live near this guitar school/shop. They have two Les Pauls at close prices. The Red/Orange/Yellow Sunburst is an Epiphone Les Paul Standard 100. The Black one with Gold hardware is an Epiphone Les Paul Custom. I need the advice, so I can put a deposit on either one and save up. I am honestly thinking about the Standard 100...
Attachments:
Unknown-1.jpeg
images-2.jpeg
Get the Custom. The LP 100 is a hunk of junk.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

If you are fixed on one of those two, definitely go with the custom.
PRS SE Santana - Santana III Bass/Treble
ESP LTD EC400vf - Gibson Zebra 496R/500T
AXL Badwater SRO - GFS OW Liverpool, SD Duckbucker, SD JB
Mitchell Acoustic MD100SCE
Peavey Vypyr 100
yeah the custom is a no-brainer if they're the same price (or near enough the same price).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The custom. The 100 is very cheaply made. I have an Epiphone Custom. It is an SG not a Les Paul but it looks and plays better than my Gibson Les Paul Studio.
The custom, the 100 uses really poor hardware. I rented one to try for a week, and it drove me nuts having to tune it all the time. The selector switch was loose and it popped and crackled when used. I may have just gotten a dud too.

Good luck and have fun looking.
Really then? I guess I'll get the custom... It is about 10lbs... that makes my other guitars feel like feathers...
TS, 99% of the time, LP = heavy. It might be an awesome guitar, but don't get it if it doesn't feel right or is too heavy for you.

Or just work out some more until its not heavy
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Definitely the custom! But make sure you play it first and spend at least 15 mins with it to see hwo it feels for you.
TESTAMENT, SCAR SYMMETRY......SELF EXPLANATORY

ALEX SKOLNICK, PER NILSSON........ADULATION MANDATORY

Gear: JACKSON RR3

Member#25 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS CLUB. PM Revelations to Join
thanks guys! I'm gonna go for the custom... It really is a beautiful guitar...

uh... there was a misthought when I posted my question though...
I thought that both guitars were the same price... I was waaaay off...
Standard- ~$375
Custom- ~$760
yeeeah, WAY off... still, thanks for the advice... I guess before talking $$, be 100% sure of the prices...
TS you should be able to get an Epi Plain Top Standard (Not an LP-100) for about $400 New. Maybe a tad more. Flame tops are extra but are phototops so it's only looks. The Custom is overpriced IMO as it's nothing but some extra binding, cheap gold hardware and block inlays over a Standard. I've also heard good things about the Epi Tribute whihc is also cheaper than hte Custom and comes with better hardware, electronics and a hardshell case. Don't be in too much of a rush and mis-spend your money.

Here's an idea of the prices ranges ala MF (which I never recommend buying from but...)
Of these four listed cheapest to most expensive the middle 2 are the best bang for your buck

<http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-les-paul-100-electric-guitar>

<http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-limited-edition-les-paul-standard-black-royale-electric-guitar>

<http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-les-paul-tribute-plus-electric-guitar>

<http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-les-paul-black-beauty-3-electric-guitar>
Moving on.....
Last edited by KenG at Jun 16, 2013,
Yeah... Thing is, it's not like a Guitar Center or Musician's Friend store... It's a guitar school, that sells used mint condition guitars. My eyes are really on this nice black & gold Les Paul... But they DO have some SG's that also catch my interest... And I think I saw a flying V there too... I tried all of those guitars out (that caught my interest) and the Custom is what really spoke to me...
Quote by RoKHED
I tried all of those guitars out (that caught my interest) and the Custom is what really spoke to me...

Then you pretty much answered your question yourself! If that's the guitar you like, and you can afford it, buy it! Do not cheap out, you'll regret on the long run for sure, because you'll always feel like you didn't get the guitar you wanted.

At the end of the day, it's a matter of personnal taste, so you know better.
Yamaha SG 800
Tokai USG 118s
Hughes&Kettner Tube Meister
Jet City JCA12XS
Laney Cub 10
Electro Harmonix Big Muff pi (tone/wicker)
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Guild D 125 CE <3
Last edited by Doogy-Style at Jun 16, 2013,
Quote by RoKHED
Yeah... Thing is, it's not like a Guitar Center or Musician's Friend store... It's a guitar school, that sells used mint condition guitars. My eyes are really on this nice black & gold Les Paul... But they DO have some SG's that also catch my interest... And I think I saw a flying V there too... I tried all of those guitars out (that caught my interest) and the Custom is what really spoke to me...

So you're saying that $700+ price is for a used Epi Custom? If you're in the US give your head a shake cause your getting screwed.
Moving on.....
Yeeeah... Now that I think about it, they do have their guitars a little overpriced... I probably could get a better deal @ Guitar Center... I got a nice Epiphone for $147... That's the Special II that I have... I may be able to find the same guitar, for less... and BRAND NEW... I'll have to look...
Buying a new guitar is confusing- that's why I only have two... Even my parents were confused when they bought me my first one... I am still stumped... I guess I need to take my time with my next guitar- cause I ain't got the room for it...
Rock N' Roll isn't just a genre of music. It's a way of life. If you fall; get the hell up, brush off, and keep rockin!
Yes it is (confusing that is). I went with the Epi Tribute Plus. Got it from ZZounds. Just arrived today. They have payment plans so that might help.
Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion
Last edited by SGFAN4174 at Jun 19, 2013,
Honestly, I don't feel like BUYING another guitar for a while...
I may as well BUILD my own... From a kit- of course... Probably an SG, Strat, or LP...
Whatever it is, it's gonna be a sparkly dark red or metallic black...
Rock N' Roll isn't just a genre of music. It's a way of life. If you fall; get the hell up, brush off, and keep rockin!