Hi everyone.

I have bought brand new ESP guitar, signature series
ESP Esa Holopainen SUN, Tune-matic system

The problem is - it awfully detunes, I thought Sperzel Locking Tuners are good enough but I have a problem now. I use Dean Markley 10-52 strings if it help.
At first I thought I over wrapped strings, right now it wrapped to minimum.
Guitar is tuned one step down for all the strings.

Looking for help and advise, thx!
Last edited by xakcuc at Jun 9, 2013,
Sorry just to clarify, is your guitar going out of tune or are you having problems detuning it?
Schecter Blackjack SLS C-7
Les Paul Studio with Nailbomb / Black Dog BK pups
Razorback Blades V
Axe-FX Ultra
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50
Ableton Live 8 with Nexus, Komplete 6, Predator, Sylenth
Numark NS7FX
It's going out of tune, yeah. Sorry for unclear message.

It really puzzles me, guitar is rather expensive, signature, I don't think lockers are bad, hope so. All guitar parts are good enough I guess.

Neck is ok, it sounds good, so tuning problem kills me.
Last edited by xakcuc at Jun 9, 2013,
Are you pulling all of the string slack through and then locking the tuner or are you actually winding the strings around the tuner?
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
First time I did it wrong, it's my first guitar with locking tuners, I winded string around the tuner for too much. Right now there's almoust no winding at all, I pulled the string through, locked it and tuned. There's no full wrap around the tuner now, just a half wrap.
Wrapping around a locking tuner won’t make the tuning less stable. Have you tried stretching these strings? Because if the strings aren’t popping out of the tuners then their length isn’t changing because of the tuners. If you have locking tuners and the tuning isn’t stable then the problem is that the strings are stretching.
I stretched my strings just after first tuning and some time after, maybe I should try another set of strings, just to make it clear that strings are ok.
let me guess it is the low EAD strings that are going out of tune huh?

Did you have the nut re-slotted for the 10-52ga strings? Your wound strings are most likely binding in the nut if you did not do this.

Also did you reset the intonation and neck relif after you changed string gauge?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
let me guess it is the low EAD strings that are going out of tune huh?

Did you have the nut re-slotted for the 10-52ga strings? Your wound strings are most likely binding in the nut if you did not do this.

Also did you reset the intonation and neck relif after you changed string gauge?

That guitar comes with 10–46, no need to change the setup for 10-52.
Robbgnarly, main problem with the treble strings E-B-G in standart, EAD strings are less cousing trouble, but going out of tune also.

I showed my guitar to the most skilled guitarist I know, he said that neck is ok and all screws in the saddle are in the right position.

Please explain about "reset the intonation" thing.
Quote by jpnyc
That guitar comes with 10–46, no need to change the setup for 10-52.

I still would check just to be certain
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by xakcuc
Robbgnarly, main problem with the treble strings E-B-G in standart, EAD strings are less cousing trouble, but going out of tune also.

I showed my guitar to the most skilled guitarist I know, he said that neck is ok and all screws in the saddle are in the right position.

Please explain about "reset the intonation" thing.

When you set the intonation you are making it so the open sound of the string is the same note as when you play that string while fretting the 12th.

This makes all the notes on the fret-board correct and the guitar will sound proper. You do this by moving the saddle forwards or backwards to compensate

how are you wrapping the strings on the tuners?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jun 10, 2013,
Are you stringing your guitar like this?

Doing this will help narrow down the problem if it doesn't eliminate it.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Offworld92, thx for advise, I'll try it that way.
Robbgnarly, saddles are ok, all frets sounds proper. Do you advise to string the guitar the way on pic?

Right now it's done like this - I pulled the string through, locked it and tuned. There's no winding around the tuner at all, I guess.
Last edited by xakcuc at Jun 11, 2013,
I would put at least one wrap around the peg. It could help.

Leave some slack, tune it up, then lock it last. Don't lock then tune.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
It sounds like your strings may be binding at the nut. Try lubricating the nut (graphite would work well too) and see if that helps at all.
Quote by xakcuc
There's a size limit for photo's (

Are those locking tuners? are you tightening the lock well enough? un-wound strings can slip much easier than wound strings with locking tuners.

Also if they are locking tuners (they look like sperzel to me) try winding like the picture anyway to see if the issue stops

If not you need to re-string like the picture above

If they are locking tuners try pencil shavings in the nut slot (this is graphite )

I only have locking tuners on my PRS and all my other guitars are strung like the picture Offworld posted. The locking tuners on the GBE strings wants to slip if the lock is not screwed down properly some times.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jun 11, 2013,
Robbgnarly, yeah these are sperzel locking tuners. I'll try to wind my strings like it is done on the picture.
And I'll try to do smth with the nut, graphite or lubricate you say?
My previous guitar was floyd rosed, I feel like newbie again.