Hi there,

I have been looking into spending my hard earned cash on a new Les Paul.

I really fancy a nice looking, nice sounding (having something versatile would be nice but i tend to mostly settle for a hard rock sound), i'd like it to have a nice neck (i play a tele and i love the feeling of the neck on it) and finally i'd like it to have a good, solid, weighted feel, something that feels like a quality, well built guitar.

So far i've came across quite a few nice LPs on the second hand market.
I have found a 1997 Gibson Les Paul Studio, a 1978 Ibanez PF-300, an Agile 3200, several ESPs (though i'm not sure they have a lot of weight to them) and an Ibanez ARZ700. There are also millions of Epiphones up for grabs but if I can afford to go Gibson then I think i'll settle with that.
They all are around the same price range, what are your thoughts on these guitars? I haven't tried any, which do you think would be most suited to my requirements?

Thanks in advance folks!
Attachments:
$(KGrHqJHJCYFE7cz4SpoBRtHQ5Yz4w~~48_79.JPG
$T2eC16hHJG8FGr3qLVuiBRsZIgOj9!~~48_79.JPG
$T2eC16h,!zcE9s4g4v2UBRk5,RVg)Q~~48_79.JPG
What's your budget? A Gibson or Epiphone will certainly go a long way towards getting a sweet hard rock sound. In particular, if your budget allows you could go for an Epiphone and set some money aside for some new pickups if you don't like the stock ones. I'm a fan of Bare Knuckle myself. Or you could go for a set of PAF-copy humbucker. Stew Mac website do sets for about $120. I haven't heard them but the reviews are pretty good.

ESPs are rad but I'd probably stay clear of one with EMG active pickups. Get a model with passives. I'm not an EMG basher, however I just think you'd be better suited with a set of hot passives.

Also, unsure how experienced a player you are, you may want to look at something without a Floyd Rose trem system. Again, not knocking them, I know plenty who love them, but they are a mega pain in the butt.

Good luck.
Schecter Blackjack SLS C-7
Les Paul Studio with Nailbomb / Black Dog BK pups
Razorback Blades V
Axe-FX Ultra
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50
Ableton Live 8 with Nexus, Komplete 6, Predator, Sylenth
Numark NS7FX
As a rule, any low end Gibson will be better than a high end Epiphone. The trick with Gibson is to always try the actual guitar you'll be buying.

When I bought my LP Studio, I almost didn't even pick it up in the shop because I was mostly comparing the Standards & Customs. None of them really grabbed my attention though. Then I tried the Studio. About a 1/4 of the cost of the others I tried, but I fell in love with it instantly.

Its also worth noting that if you've always wanted a Gibson Les Paul, nothing else will satisfy that need. You could decide with your head to buy a technically better guitar from another manufacturer, but part of you will always lust after the guitar your heart really wanted.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I have a Gibson Studio Faded. The Burst Bucker Pros suck.....I put in a SH-1 and a SH-12 and it rocks!

I really enjoy playing it. The price was reasonable.

I am really a LTD/ESP and EMG fan, but this Gibson is a great guitar.

Good Luck!
There's a world of options out there...big names, small names.

What's your budget?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jun 10, 2013,
Thank you all for your responses!
I live in Scotland so my budget here won't go anywhere near as far as it would in the states (we seem to get royally ripped off when it comes to guitars), i'm looking to spend 500-600 GBP.
I'm just worried that with a Gibson i'm just paying for the name on the headstock really.
Thanks again!
Quote by Struan Reid
Thank you all for your responses!
I live in Scotland so my budget here won't go anywhere near as far as it would in the states (we seem to get royally ripped off when it comes to guitars), i'm looking to spend 500-600 GBP.
I'm just worried that with a Gibson i'm just paying for the name on the headstock really.
Thanks again!

I'm in the UK too, you can easily get a new Gibson Studio with your budget.

And don't worry about just paying for a name - with Gibson you're actually paying for a quality product with it's own unique characteristics hand built by a professional, rather than a generic item mass produced in a factory somewhere in the east.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Yeah, I can get all the guitars within my budget, I'm going to look at a 1997 LP studio on Thursday, looks a bit bashed up and the guy wants £625 for it but i'll have a look and see if he'll move on that, here's hoping the pictures aren't a true reflection of the guitar's condition!