I'm trying not to spend over $600 and I've been looking at the 6506 112 60 watt amp and the peavey vypyr tube 120 but I think it's discontinued or something. Are there any other amps in that price range that can give a decent metal tone?
I'm gonna assume you don't have a cab.

VYPYR Tube 60
5150 212
6505 112

Go used and you can spare money to swap out the tubes and speaker on the 6505.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Define 'metal'.

What's your location and can you buy used?
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Honestly mate, you hit the two best choices. If you're just going for high gain metal, grab the 6505, if you want some versatility, grab the Vypyr.
I'd go with the 6505 112 if you're just playing metal. Although if you're buying used Vypyrs 60's seem to be going selling pretty cheap right now. I just sold mine for $190 on craigslist this past week, after having it up for 250 for a couple months with no bites. I have the 6505+ 112 and it sounds way better to my ear then the vypyr 60, but the clean channels is basically not clean.
I'd get the 6505.
This is the life we must choose.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm surprised that a big arm hasn't appeared out of the amp and slapped you across the face.
Yeah, you need to be more specific when you say metal. You could be talking Metallica or August Burns Red, two very different sounds.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
Sorry guys well as for metal I like Children of Bodom, Wintersun,Kalmah stuff like that and some death metal as well. I'm leaning towards the 6505 but I heard it doesn't have good distortion.
Quote by devilmaycrykid
Sorry guys well as for metal I like Children of Bodom, Wintersun,Kalmah stuff like that and some death metal as well. I'm leaning towards the 6505 but I heard it doesn't have good distortion.

Quote by devilmaycrykid
I'm leaning towards the 6505 but I heard it doesn't have good distortion.

Quote by devilmaycrykid
6505 heard it doesn't have good distortion.

Quote by devilmaycrykid
6505 doesn't have good distortion.

Then why are you leaning towards it? Granted either you like it or you don't, but 'hearing' that something doesn't sound good doesn't mean you can't like it.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
I guess I'll just try it out then! I had a vypyr tube 60 and had some problems with that, it would sound muffled so I kicked it and it would work. I even waited for the tubes to warm up for awhile.
Quote by devilmaycrykid
I guess I'll just try it out then! I had a vypyr tube 60 and had some problems with that, it would sound muffled so I kicked it and it would work. I even waited for the tubes to warm up for awhile.

That would be an actual problem with the amp.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Quote by devilmaycrykid

Who told you that?

If that's the case, why is it pretty much the most popular amp among modern metal bands?
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Get an acoustic.

Bitches love acoustics.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Get an acoustic.

Bitches love acoustics.
I lol'd.

But seriously. You can't go wrong with a 6505, but if you have reservations about it for some reason, seeif you can find a Peavey XXX, JSX or Uultra in your local used market. That's a whole lot of Peavey, but they're a good brand.
If you want some other options for different tones, look into used Mesa combos. DC-3, DC-5, F30, F50, etc.
This is the life we must choose.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm surprised that a big arm hasn't appeared out of the amp and slapped you across the face.
There are no options. amp? $600? Metal $600? Head? Peavey? amp not vypyr has tubes? Tubes never go bad. Google?

Kicking it solves everything. go for a few more whack. May come to life.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
6505 has good distortion, but it's very "dry". I personally don't really like it, but it's definitely not bad.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
Quote by ExDementia
That's just about the exact opposite way anyone usually describes a 6505/5150.

Yep. When I think of the adjective "dry" I think of a Marshall JVM, not a 5150/6505. (However, I very much like the tones I've gotten out of JVMs, but they're a lot different from my 6505).

Basically, I don't think anyone really knows what "dry" means.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
6505 is not dry, infact, it's very saturated.

What TS could do is get something JCM800-ish and then push it into saturation with a stomp pedal distortion box a la HM-2.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
"Describing sounds is like telling a blind person what something looks like."
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay