Pigtronix Philosopher's Tone Compressor Sustainer

It has been recommended that I buy this pedal. I would use it
for Classsic Rock, Hard Rock, Blues Rock, Soul, Funk & R&B.
Probably not use if for Surf or Rockabilly.

From Pigtronix:
"The Pigtronix Philosopher’s Tone is a state-of-the-art analog compressor / sustainer, providing endless clean sustain. With variable Sustain, Blend and Treble controls, the Philosopher’s Tone offers a huge range of compression sounds for the discerning musician. The Philosopher’s Tone also contains a harmonic distortion for clean or dirty compression sounds and any mixture of the two. While the Philosopher’s Tone rocks on its own, it is designed to play well with other dirt pedals in order to create your ultimate distortion tone that sustains forever. Pigtronix Philosopher’s Tone is unlike the common compressor. This pedal has more sustain and less noise. The dynamic range, touch sensitivity, overall transparency and outright sustain of the Philosopher’s Tone is un-paralleled in the crowded world of compressor pedals."

Please, if you've played/used the Pigtronix Philosopher's Tone Compressor . . . . .
What styles of music did/do you use this pedal for?
Did/Do you like it?
If lost, would you buy another?
What sustainer/compression pedals do you think are better for your music?

Thanks for kind responses.
Attachments:
DV020_Jpg_Jumbo_489258_V[1].jpg
pigtronixphilosopherstonecsd_5559834_res[1].jpg
PIGTCSD_2Copy[1].jpg
Last edited by Toppscore at Jun 9, 2013,
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
it was my first compressor (the germanium edition). i disliked it a lot. overly squashy, noisy, and the grit function was pretty lame.

N.B. i'm very picky with compression, and discovered i only like optical compressors, as i really hate that 'rubber-band' sound you get when your dynamics are squashed. the only compressors i would consider putting on my board are the diamond, and the bearfoot PGC. another one i'd be interested in trying would be the wampler.

all that said, what do you want to achieve with a compressor? if you're just looking to have the higher strings ring out a bit more, a clean boost at unity gain will do that.
Quote by NakedInTheRain
it was my first compressor (the germanium edition). i disliked it a lot. overly squashy, noisy, and the grit function was pretty lame.

N.B. i'm very picky with compression, and discovered i only like optical compressors, as i really hate that 'rubber-band' sound you get when your dynamics are squashed. the only compressors i would consider putting on my board are the diamond, and the bearfoot PGC. another one i'd be interested in trying would be the wampler.

all that said, what do you want to achieve with a compressor? if you're just looking to have the higher strings ring out a bit more, a clean boost at unity gain will do that.

Thanks, Naked.
Checking out this compression pedal because some reviews claim
the sustain is top notch and there are light/slight distortion possibilities.
For 1970s/1990s classic rock and blues rock tones.
I'll leave big time distortion to other pedals.
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1vZZhvN2lk

its a darn good compressor. if you dont like its qualities or prefer another compressor thats fine. but for about 180 its a good unit.

comparing it to a diamond? thats like saying, nah a bmw blows, i just bought a ferarri instead.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
The SP Compressor is worth a gander.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ikey_
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1vZZhvN2lk
its a darn good compressor. if you dont like its qualities or prefer another compressor thats fine. but for about 180 its a good unit. Comparing it to a diamond? thats like saying, nah a bmw blows, i just bought a ferarri instead.

Thanks, IKey.
The video is awesome.
Much appreciated.
Toppscore?

MORE LIKE BOTTOM FEEDING SCORE.

you should go back and eat bums. which are bottom. feed on them.

Can we get back on topic?

Who has it is it good i already bought 7 but might need 8?

EDIT: Sorry i just read you are NOT using it for Surf or Rockabilly.

Disregard my comments.
mojostompboxes.com
Last edited by greeny23 at Jun 11, 2013,
Quote by greeny23
Toppscore?

You should get 4 of them. One before everything, one after the pedals in front of your amp, one at the beginning of your effects loop, and one at the end. You could also try putting one between your amp and speaker. That way you can compress your compression while the other compression is being compressed. It adds the slight grit you need to play non-Surf/Rockabilly Classsic Rock.

Congrats on not using any smilies or blue font yet in this thread. It's a step in the right direction.
Quote by &baconstrips
You should get 4 of them. One before everything, one after the pedals in front of your amp, one at the beginning of your effects loop, and one at the end. You could also try putting one between your amp and speaker. That way you can compress your compression while the other compression is being compressed. It adds the slight grit you need to play non-Surf/Rockabilly Classsic Rock. Congrats on not using any smilies or blue font yet in this thread. It's a step in the right direction.

Two can work well, sometimes.
Sometimes, true by-pass is at play.
Sometimes both are off.
Sometimes one or the other are on.
Sometimes both are on.

Sometimes the guitar has single coils.
Sometimes the guitar has humbuckers.
Sometimes the Super Strat has both.

Sometimes there is lots of noise in a particular room.
Sometimes there is not much noise in another hall.

Sometimes other pedals with 12AX7(s) add more noise.
Sometimes shit happens.
Sometimes all is cool
Quote by greeny23
Toppscore?
EDIT: Sorry i just read you are NOT using it for Surf or Rockabilly.
Disregard my comments.

Greeny, thought you were "down under".
Have missed your positive influence
More like bottom shriveled pencil weenie in the score

Why not contribute something useful instead of being a hater!

I think you could utilise a noise gate, or 4.

I'm a user and my experience

Hello.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
How about cake? Cheaper than a compressor. Makes things fat instead of squashing them. Win win.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣