I am working on a re-wire project which involves a separate 3-way switch for each pickup. I purchased 3 mini switches for this application. T he probelm is that when I try to solder the wires to the posts, the surrounding plastic melts before the post even gets hot enough to take the solder. 35w and 65w
soldering irons, no difference.

the switches i am using are the same you will find with a search for '3-way dpdt mini switch'. ive seen red, blue, and black models, I am using the black ones.

i know that soldering is a bit of an art and i am a begginner, so i accept that maybe it's just me. so are these switches meant for machine soldering?? maybe I have bad technique?? or are there better options for switches that will not when heating up the wire posts??
PRS SE Santana - Santana III Bass/Treble
ESP LTD EC400vf - Gibson Zebra 496R/500T
AXL Badwater SRO - GFS OW Liverpool, SD Duckbucker, SD JB
Mitchell Acoustic MD100SCE
Peavey Vypyr 100
It's all technique. Good technique heats the joint, wets the solder and completes the connection in under a second.

My guess is you should wet the soldering iron tip with some solder beforehand before making the joint.

Also the wire you want to terminate, pre tin it with solder first. Then feed it through or wrap it onto the lug. With the solder wet iron tip at the ready, made the joint, quickly.
'It takes 100 guitar players to change a light. One to change the light and 99 to stand around pointing, saying..."Yeah man, look...I can do that too"...'

My gear is in my Profile

Builds & Refurbs
Hondo 780 Deluxe
Gibson Studio
Epi LP100
Last edited by Phoenix V at Jun 10, 2013,
Quote by Phoenix V

My guess is you should wet the soldering iron tip with some solder beforehand before making the joint.

Also the wire you want to terminate, pre tin it with solder first. Then feed it through or wrap it onto the lug. With the solder wet iron tip at the ready, made the joint, quickly.

Yeah... I tin the iron tip and all the wires ahead of time... I found out about that after my miserable first attempt at soldering several weeks ago. Sound like the "under a second" time frame is what I'm lacking due to my experience level...

For me, it may just be easier to get some larger switches that are not set in plastic, but directly connected to a PCB board on the bottom of the switch itself.

Thanks!
PRS SE Santana - Santana III Bass/Treble
ESP LTD EC400vf - Gibson Zebra 496R/500T
AXL Badwater SRO - GFS OW Liverpool, SD Duckbucker, SD JB
Mitchell Acoustic MD100SCE
Peavey Vypyr 100