Ok guys heres my issue. I have A B-52 ATX 100 head thats just not sounding the way i would like for it to. I play metal and i like the scooped mid sound with the tight chunky bass and high distortion. When I got the head i retubed it with factory power tubes (sovtek 5881WXT) and the silver dragon 12AX7B pre's. with that being said i dont think i picked the right tubes for my kind of style (or maybe i did.. ) I was hoping you guys could put me into the right direction ''(TUBES)'' on how to put some Brutals into this amp (considering its even possibal for this amp). I could solve all my probs with a 6505 but i just dont have that kinda cash right now and was hoping a good tube swap might help till i do. and if it helps my main guitar is an ESP LTD MH103QM and the head runs threw a B-52 ATX 4x12 cab on 4 ohms. Many many thanks in advance.
On a budget, throw JJ's in it.
This is the life we must choose.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm surprised that a big arm hasn't appeared out of the amp and slapped you across the face.
I'd get some JJ 12AX7s for the preamp.

Leave the power tubes alone for now.

Then I'd get a Tubescreamer/or similar boost (Bad Monkey) and maybe even an EQ pedal for the loop (Dano Fish n Chips 7 band is like $30).

Those cabs are not the greatest cabs - but I've been able to get some pretty decent metal tones off of a B52 AT100 without a boost and EQ
JJ ecc83 and new Mullard 12ax7 for the pre-amp. The power tubes don't have a huge effect when you are using pre-amp distortion.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I'd get some JJ 12AX7s for the preamp.

Leave the power tubes alone for now.

Then I'd get a Tubescreamer/or similar boost (Bad Monkey) and maybe even an EQ pedal for the loop (Dano Fish n Chips 7 band is like $30).

Those cabs are not the greatest cabs - but I've been able to get some pretty decent metal tones off of a B52 AT100 without a boost and EQ

How would a tube Screamer compair to a boss MT-2?
A tube screamer/similar is an Overdrive. You use it as a boost to boost what your amp has to offer already. An MT-2/similar is bad attempt to make a non-brootal amp sound brootal. Stay away.

Overdrive boosts need their Level on 10 and the Gain on like 0 or 1 (for metal anyway)
Quote by darkchanter7464
How would a tube Screamer compair to a boss MT-2?

With a tube screamer type pedal you use it as a boost and not a source of gain. Level max, gain 0-2, tone to taste. This hits the preamp tubes and will add sustain, a little more grit and some compression. I almost always use a Bad Monkey and/or GFS Greenie as boosts with all of my amps
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
311 is the Ninja tonite
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
So with a screamer type pedal, will that also alow for a chunky or chuga chuga type palm mute? and also, you guys recomended JJ's for the pre's, are those considerd ''High Gain'' pre tubes?
Yes, yes and yes
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Tube Screamer, EQ, JJ's. Simplest fixes for better tone. That and speaker upgrades.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm surprised that a big arm hasn't appeared out of the amp and slapped you across the face.
ok sounds good. I now have a goal, and as always you guys are very helpfull and i thank you all for the very fast responses to my question.
I'm not sure how similar the ATX-100 is to the AT-100, but after a tube change, you really shouldn't need a boost. I have the AT-100 and its a metal beast. They're Mesa Triple Rec clones, and do the tone pretty faithfully. I say you do the tube change first and then see if you need the boost. If its the same as the AT, it should take you all the way to brutal death metal with gain to spare -- which is what I played when I used it.

Also, those cabs really aren't bad, 311. I'm not sure about now, but you used to be able to order them with V30s. I have one and its very sturdy. Its hard to beat them for the price if you can find one with the right speakers in it.
It's always nice to have a boost on hands I think. Tightens the gain up well.

Quote by Cathbard