I still love my Korean LP copy, but I've been wanting an SG for a while now. There's something about it's punchy tone I just absolutely love. And alot of my favorite players use(d) them.

I don't have enough money for an Epi G-400. The SG Special is a downgrade from the G-310, and definately a downgrade from the 400, but I could build up on the money left over from buying it for upgrading it. Would it be a good project guitar? I would defininately plan on changing the Pups and switching out the tuners, maybe to grovers. I plan on doing that to my Korean Lp copy too, though. But, I would also love to have a psychedelic paint job done on it (you know, like Eric Clapton's "Fool" SG, from in his Cream days?) , and maybe have some kind of tremolo put on. Not a floyd rose ofcourse, that would take alot of work. Maybe a bigsby.
If I got a G-400 I wouldn't ever have enough money to upgrade it. $400 bucks is alot of money to me, and a couple hundred dollars worth of upgrades would be way out of my reach. So, for what I would plan to do with it, does the SG Special sound like a good guitar for me?
No. Avoid it the Special like the plague.

Save up and get a G400. Replace the pickups with Irongears or GFS's depending where you live. They're very cheap, but decent pickups.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jun 10, 2013,
I should have mentioned that I'm 14. If I was an adult saving up over the summer for a G400 would be easy, but I just can't earn that much money.
You will regret buying that guitar. It is hard to get a shittier guitar, it really is.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
You will regret buying that guitar. It is hard to get a shittier guitar, it really is.

That's weird because many, many people have said that it's a fine guitar especially when you upgrade. But that's from reviews...I guess I should listen to you, but have you ever actually owned one?
Quote by GuitarNewb77
That's weird because many, many people have said that it's a fine guitar especially when you upgrade. But that's from reviews...I guess I should listen to you, but have you ever actually owned one?

They're usually reviewed by people who have almost no playing experience, as that's the crowd the guitar is marketed for. So don't trust the reviews. And yes, I have played one. I stand by what I've already said. Upgrading an Epiphone SG Special is like putting a set of $3000 rims on a Yugo. It's pointless.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jun 10, 2013,
Do not buy the SG special!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only thing it will do for you is make your LP copy feel like a dream guitar. A Korean lp copy from any manufacturer is 10x the guitar that the SG special is.

Depending on your location, you should be able to get a used G400 for $200.00 to $250.00. If you want one to upgrade and repaint, then used is the way to go for sure. No point buying a new one and then ripping the paint and electronics out.
YA GOTTA HIT IT ON THE ONE
pics of gear updated on profile 11/16/09
The SG Special is a fantastic FIRST guitar. You'd only be wasting money at this point, though.

Even if it takes longer, it would be in your best interest to save for the G400.
Three Guitars >> Eleven Pedals >> Two Amps
Bandcamp (emo/indie/punk)

Quote by primusfan
> from louisville
> likes ween
> new favorite poster
Last edited by ShameofaNation at Jun 10, 2013,
Ok. I won't get the SG Special.

There's a used black G400 sitting in the local guitar shop. I gotta have red, though. I remember seeing a red one in there but I don't remember the price...are the stock G400 pickups good? If they aren't, would a Seymour Duncan Hotrodded set be a good upgrade?
Last edited by GuitarNewb77 at Jun 10, 2013,
TS, if the black one is there, and you like how it sounds, and how it feels, get it man. Ask the owner of the shop if he still has the red one you're interested in though. But the finish of the guitar shouldn't be a deal breaker (as long as its not "out there" like the Paisley Tele"), imo.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Played an lp special a few times and thought it was terrible. I honestly didn't like anything about it. I'd say save your money. If you already have a guitar to play, then theres no rush... save until you have enough for what you really want. You'll get there eventually.
Where in the world are you?

Don't buy new.

I've owned a G400, it was garbage. Mine may have been a dud though, given how many people claim to love theirs.

Does it have to be an Epiphone?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Where in the world are you?

Don't buy new.

I've owned a G400, it was garbage. Mine may have been a dud though, given how many people claim to love theirs.

Does it have to be an Epiphone?

To answer question number one: (Invalid img)

To answer number two: Isn't that the only company that makes quality affordable SG's? I mean, my Les PAul Copy is some weird Korean company that you've never heard of (Arbor) and I love it, but i'd rather have an epiphone.
Quote by AWACS
TS, if the black one is there, and you like how it sounds, and how it feels, get it man. Ask the owner of the shop if he still has the red one you're interested in though. But the finish of the guitar shouldn't be a deal breaker (as long as its not "out there" like the Paisley Tele"), imo.

Well, I did play the black one, and I loved how it sounded, but the input jack came out while I was playing. The store owner was a little embarrased, but he fixed it
Doing some searching. Gonna do some more, but found this: http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED--LTD-VIPER-50-BLK-8-5-050313--632-109075948-i3178802.gc

Easier on your wallet, and WAY better instrument. Going used has multiple advantages. Besides the much lower price, you can always sell and break relatively even. Buying a new guitar, you automatically lose ~40% of your investment when you walk out of the door.

Once you get familiar with the used market, you can spot deals and make 10-20% when selling.

EDIT: Okay, here we go, I struck gold.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-JAY-TURSER-DOUBLE-CUT-RED-9-5-471-109061288-i3170032.gc

(I believe) This is a Jay Turser JT-50. http://www.jayturser.com/products/electrics/jt-50.php

The very important distinction here is that this JT has a set neck, so it will actually feel and play like a real SG. Both the Epiphone and that LTD have bolt on necks, so they're both much farther away construction-wise from a "real" (Gibson) SG.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Jun 10, 2013,
Quote by Offworld92
Doing some searching. Gonna do some more, but found this: http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED--LTD-VIPER-50-BLK-8-5-050313--632-109075948-i3178802.gc

Easier on your wallet, and WAY better instrument. Going used has multiple advantages. Besides the much lower price, you can always sell and break relatively even. Buying a new guitar, you automatically lose ~40% of your investment when you walk out of the door.

Once you get familiar with the used market, you can spot deals and make 10-20% when selling.

But that thing looks exactly like an Epi Sg Special? Well, except for the fact that the body shape is off at the back.
Yes, it looks like the same thing, but the things that matter in a guitar are the things you can't put down on paper. How it feels, how well it's put together, how well it's finished. Those things matter, and the Epi Specials are abysmal, whereas LTDs have a pretty consistent QC record. Especially the older ones.

Also:

Quote by Offworld92

http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-JAY-TURSER-DOUBLE-CUT-RED-9-5-471-109061288-i3170032.gc

(I believe) This is a Jay Turser JT-50. http://www.jayturser.com/products/electrics/jt-50.php

The very important distinction here is that this JT has a set neck, so it will actually feel and play like a real SG. Both the Epiphone and that LTD have bolt on necks, so they're both much farther away construction-wise from a "real" (Gibson) SG.

EDIT:

Alternatively, here's an actual G400: http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-EPIPHONE-SG-G400-109002262-i3186440.gc

This one is missing the "Volume" and "Tone" knob inlays. Mine also fell out, which is one of the attributing factors to why I consider it a crappy guitar. A lot of stuff on mine just fell apart. Really wouldn't recommend, but it's there if you want it.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Jun 10, 2013,
Quote by Offworld92
Yes, it looks like the same thing, but the things that matter in a guitar are the things you can't put down on paper. How it feels, how well it's put together, how well it's finished. Those things matter, and the Epi Specials are abysmal, whereas LTDs have a pretty consistent QC record. Especially the older ones.

Also:

Now THAT thing looks nice. OTher than the dot inlays, that is.
You might want to jump on this ASAP. This is a JT-50Custom.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-JAY-TURSER-JT50-SOLID-BODY-NC-109047148-i3153892.gc

For an SG under $200, I very seriously doubt you're going to find a better option than this. It's even red.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92

I do want a set neck, like on my LP copy. But the G400 I played had a set neck not a bolt on. I think you may be talking about the G310. And the input jack didn't actually fall out, it just came loose. The guy probably just put some locktite on it
Comparing reviews between the G400 and JT-50, the Epi seems to generally be considered the better guitar. Hey man, maybe you did get a dud. Plus the Jt-50 is made in China. Which is bad.
Here's a red G400 http://www.guitarcenter.com/-i2853736.gc

Looks like two of the knobs were replaced with a different style, but I'm not sure. GC images never really work for me.

Anyway, the trick is to know what you're looking for, and have the patience to browse... the deals are found there because GC employees are obviously very unknowledgeable about guitars, and so many guitars are labelled very broadly, or even labelled wrong, so you just gotta browse, and know what guitars are visually.

You know Epiphones are made in China too, right? The only guitar that's been discussed that might not be made in China is the LTD Viper. No idea what year it is, but there's an equal chance of it being a Chinese, Indonesian or Korean guitar.

There's nothing inherently wrong with Chinese products. Many (most) products made in China are subpar, but not all of them.

And to be completely blunt, you have far less wiggle room with stuff like this with $200 than you seem to think you have (concerning the inlays as well, etc.).

I think most of the legitimate options are on the table. There's like 67 pages of used guitars between $100 and $200 on GC, and I went through 20 pages. Don't really feel like doing more.

Will you have the money soon? Might want to make a new thread when you actually have the money, as obviously GC's used stock changes on a daily basis.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Here's a red G400 http://www.guitarcenter.com/-i2853736.gc

Looks like two of the knobs were replaced with a different style, but I'm not sure. GC images never really work for me.

Anyway, the trick is to know what you're looking for, and have the patience to browse... the deals are found there because GC employees are obviously very unknowledgeable about guitars, and so many guitars are labelled very broadly, or even labelled wrong, so you just gotta browse, and know what guitars are visually.

You know Epiphones are made in China too, right? The only guitar that's been discussed that might not be made in China is the LTD Viper. No idea what year it is, but there's an equal chance of it being a Chinese, Indonesian or Korean guitar.

There's nothing inherently wrong with Chinese products. Many (most) products made in China are subpar, but not all of them.

And to be completely blunt, you have far less wiggle room with stuff like this with $200 than you seem to think you have (concerning the inlays as well, etc.).

I think most of the legitimate options are on the table. There's like 67 pages of used guitars between $100 and $200 on GC, and I went through 20 pages. Don't really feel like doing more.

Will you have the money soon? Might want to make a new thread when you actually have the money, as obviously GC's used stock changes on a daily basis.

Thanks, man. You didn't have to do all that searching for me. But judging how i'm 14 it might take a while ot get the money. Because instead of all these other kids running around with iphones and ipads and expensive guitars they probably don't deserve crap that their rich parents bought for them, I have to earn my own money to buy some of what I get.

I was considering doing something like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgDp5nOdonM
But on second thought...maybe not. Even though it looks cool. Not as cool as this though: (Invalid img)

But anyways, aren't Epiphones made in Japan? Like Squier?
Quote by GuitarNewb77

There you go. That's exactly what you want. The pick ups may surprise you. I like the stock ones in my G400. Play around with it for a bit and tweak your EQs before spending the money on replacement ones.
YA GOTTA HIT IT ON THE ONE
pics of gear updated on profile 11/16/09
You know something? I think I may want an Epiphone Dot now.
Just kidding.
I do want one, but I'll get the SG first.
Last edited by GuitarNewb77 at Jun 13, 2013,