$2500 and the most interesting feature they can tell you about it is a fuzz knob? No thanks. $600 for an unloaded 1x12 cab? Uh, no.

I don't know, I'm sure they're great amps, but there's no useful content on that website that might help me decide I wanted them to make me an amp. The prices are quite high, the specs are pretty lean, and all of the language is too vague to be meaningful. I know this is just idle speculation since I've never tried one, but I'm just curious as to how you looked at that website and thought, yes, that's what I want. What caught your eye?
I feel like I'm reading an ad for a new car that says :
4 tires
AM/FM radio
Steering wheel
4, 6, or 8 cylinder engine
Trunk
Options : Windshields, Doors, Windshield wipers, Seats.
I've owned two in the past. Really cool amps, but definitely pricey.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Electric amps started as the USA licensed division of Matamp. Almost everything they build is a Matamp and not much if any of their amps are "original" to them.

I have only seen 2 Electric amps ever and they were being used by Hank III. I believe they were both the Green amp, but I'm not 100% on that. And those amps are definitely what I would consider a Stoner/Doom type amp.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
That's where I'd seen them before! They looked vaguely familiar but I thought it was just the Matamp similarity. I heard Hank III with them a few years ago.

Quote by Robbgnarly
Electric amps started as the USA licensed division of Matamp. Almost everything they build is a Matamp and not much if any of their amps are "original" to them.

I have only seen 2 Electric amps ever and they were being used by Hank III. I believe they were both the Green amp, but I'm not 100% on that. And those amps are definitely what I would consider a Stoner/Doom type amp.
As soon as I saw that amp it looked like a Matamp. Good to know.

Also, I don't see where it says that the cab was unloaded? If so, $600 is a whooooole lot.
From what I have heard, Electric has no affiliation with Matamp at all any more. But they still produce all the amps

Yeah they are ridiculously priced amps and cabs IMO but they nail that Lo-Fi stoner sound just not much else from what I have seen of them
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Roc8995
$2500 and the most interesting feature they can tell you about it is a fuzz knob? No thanks. $600 for an unloaded 1x12 cab? Uh, no.

I don't know, I'm sure they're great amps, but there's no useful content on that website that might help me decide I wanted them to make me an amp. The prices are quite high, the specs are pretty lean, and all of the language is too vague to be meaningful. I know this is just idle speculation since I've never tried one, but I'm just curious as to how you looked at that website and thought, yes, that's what I want. What caught your eye?

I never said I really wanted one, I was curious about the brand because I was reading about the Matamp/Electric amps that Matt Pike used in Sleep.
banned
Quote by Robbgnarly
From what I have heard, Electric has no affiliation with Matamp at all any more. But they still produce all the amps

Yeah they are ridiculously priced amps and cabs IMO but they nail that Lo-Fi stoner sound just not much else from what I have seen of them

Yea, there's a bit of bad blood between the two companies last I heard. Prices suck anyways for what you can get out of a $1500 Orange.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by Robbgnarly

And yeah, I'm always on the quest for that kind of tone, so I was looking at these amps. Way outta my price range though.
banned
Quote by deadsmileyface
And yeah, I'm always on the quest for that kind of tone, so I was looking at these amps. Way outta my price range though.

Look for a used Matamp or a used Orange Thunderverb 50/TH30/TH100.

Sleep also used Laney AOR for years. They are great amps for what you want and they are super cheap second hand. $300 is the typical price for the 50 or 100 heads.

There is also the Sovtek MIG 50/100 which would work great if you can find one used that is not over priced. They used to be $300-$450 now the ones I see are $700+

The Laney might be your best bet if your on a budget
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Look for a used Matamp or a used Orange Thunderverb 50/TH30/TH100.

Sleep also used Laney AOR for years. They are great amps for what you want and they are super cheap second hand. $300 is the typical price for the 50 or 100 heads.

There is also the Sovtek MIG 50/100 which would work great if you can find one used that is not over priced. They used to be $300-$450 now the ones I see are $700+

The Laney might be your best bet if your on a budget

wow! thanks for telling me about this, going to start looking for some right away!

EDIT: would you mind recommending a cab for this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1980s-LANEY-AOR-Series-Pro-Tube-Lead-100-MV-Amp-Head-Guitar-Amplifier-/321138557677?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ac55982ed

also, care to explain the high/low sensitivity input jacks?
banned
Last edited by deadsmileyface at Jun 11, 2013,
Quote by deadsmileyface
wow! thanks for telling me about this, going to start looking for some right away!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1980s-LANEY-AOR-Series-Pro-Tube-Lead-100-MV-Amp-Head-Guitar-Amplifier-/321138557677?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ac55982ed

Anything with Greenbacks or V30s would be good. I prefer Greenbacks for doom/sludge/stoner since the low end has a bit more give and the mids aren't so overbearing. As for the high/low sensitivity jacks, the low sensitivity jack bypasses the first two gain stages, so you don't get near as much distortion.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx
Anything with Greenbacks or V30s would be good. I prefer Greenbacks for doom/sludge/stoner since the low end has a bit more give and the mids aren't so overbearing. As for the high/low sensitivity jacks, the low sensitivity jack bypasses the first two gain stages, so you don't get near as much distortion.

alright, thanks.

time to start saving up!

any cabs you know of cheaper than a 1960AX? my budget is $700 for a cab.
banned
Last edited by deadsmileyface at Jun 11, 2013,
You should be able to get a used 1960 for $300. $700 is what I paid brand new for my Orange PPC412...
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

If your in the USA look for a used Splawn with small blocks and big blocks (this is their greenback and G12h30 type speakers)

Or you can order a new cab from www.avatarspeakers.com and fully customize the color, grill and speakers you want in them. it should be easy with your budget

I personally would take a G12h30 type speaker over a greenback for doom/stoner rock. A combo of greenbacks and G12h30 is also very good
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by deadsmileyface

$499 is kind high for those amps. I searched GC's used site and they don't have any right now, but they typically run $299-$399.

They are very good amps for what you want and if you are comfortable paying $499 for it go for it, You can save a couple hundred bucks if you wait a little and search for a cheaper one.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
There is a Laney AOR 50 head for $305 with a few hour to go on ebay

there is also a 50watt combo AOR that has been converted to a head for $299
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by dlowe102
are the laney's marshally?

Yea, the AOR in question is basically a hot rodded JCM with more gain and less piercing treble.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT