so its come to that time when i get that itch to buy a new amp

ive recently come into so money(got a better job!)

and ive been looking up amps that i want to buy

so mostly i want to hear the forums opinions on the carvin v3m i really like the features it has and i got to play one but didnt have as much time with it as i would have liked but so far thats winning my amp choice

but any other amps that i want to look at for my needs would be nice for advice

Heres the info that would help you guys help me

my budget is 600-800 dollars i could stretch it but id have to wait longer and who wants that

id prefer a head for portability but im not opposed to combos i have acces to a 1x12 and a 4x12 and am curently shopping around for a 2x12 avatar cab

im gigging plenty

versatility is VERY important im currently in a gigging cover band and we play everything for old jazz standards to iron maiden along side my own band which has songs that go from squeaky clean to full out shredding solos

id like about 50 watts clean head room is important but id never need 100 watts

im in LA

imcurrently using a bugera v22 as a stand in amp since my ac30 clone was stolen with a ibanez rgsxl with a homemde single coil and some gfs humbuckers
and a mim fender strat stock
as for pedals i got a homemade germanium fuzz face a joyo untimate drive tubescreamer clone and a homemade delay(they all work perfectly al the time i swear )

anyway thanks for anyone who read all that and gives some advice
V3 is a hugely versatile amp and a tone monster. You'll have to fiddle with it to get exactly what you want but it's a fantastic product.
I own the V3M, and it's really good at doing just about everything other than what I want it to do. It has great cleans, great crunchy bluesy sounds, awesome classic rock tones, and good hard rock/metalish tones... but it does not do extreme metal very well. It has plenty of gain, but is too dark sounding and doesn't provide the attack necessary for modern metal and doesn't have the skull crushing chunk for older death metal and black metal.

With that being said, I think it would serve your purposes very well. The greatest thing about it is how light and compact it is. It's very handy to not have to lug around a huge and heavy head to shows.

Also, just remember, channels 2 and 3 are IDENTICAL -- even though you'll hear in reviews how the channels are meant for different things or that they sound different, they are exactly the same. This is actually a really cool feature though, because with all the of knobs and switches they give you, you can make them sound totally different. Personally, I just set them about the same except for the volumes so I can play at jamming levels with our drummer, then hit the switch and be down at quiet volumes so I can mess around while people are still setting up their stuff or talking. It's very handy.

If there is one great thing about this amp, it's that they really thought of everything. There is just about every feature you can think of needing packed into this thing, along with a great adjustable boost that you can hit from the footswitch.

I suggest you go try one out for yourself, or if you're around SoCal, I would gladly let you come over to our studio and try it out, if you like it, I'd give you a good price on it.
Quote by ExDementia
I own the V3M, and it's really good at doing just about everything other than what I want it to do. It has great cleans, great crunchy bluesy sounds, awesome classic rock tones, and good hard rock/metalish tones... but it does not do extreme metal very well. It has plenty of gain, but is too dark sounding and doesn't provide the attack necessary for modern metal and doesn't have the skull crushing chunk for older death metal and black metal.

With that being said, I think it would serve your purposes very well. The greatest thing about it is how light and compact it is. It's very handy to not have to lug around a huge and heavy head to shows.

Also, just remember, channels 2 and 3 are IDENTICAL -- even though you'll hear in reviews how the channels are meant for different things or that they sound different, they are exactly the same. This is actually a really cool feature though, because with all the of knobs and switches they give you, you can make them sound totally different. Personally, I just set them about the same except for the volumes so I can play at jamming levels with our drummer, then hit the switch and be down at quiet volumes so I can mess around while people are still setting up their stuff or talking. It's very handy.

If there is one great thing about this amp, it's that they really thought of everything. There is just about every feature you can think of needing packed into this thing, along with a great adjustable boost that you can hit from the footswitch.

I suggest you go try one out for yourself, or if you're around SoCal, I would gladly let you come over to our studio and try it out, if you like it, I'd give you a good price on it.

cool i knew channel 2 and 3 were identical which would be very nice especially in the cover band where i would need a rhythm sound and then the same sound but more OOMPH

i am in SoCal in LA actually
Quote by supersac
cool i knew channel 2 and 3 were identical which would be very nice especially in the cover band where i would need a rhythm sound and then the same sound but more OOMPH

i am in SoCal in LA actually
Well it's a 2 hour drive to San Diego, which is a bit far just to test an amp, but if you did, I'd give you a good price on it. Plus, Carvin's headquarters is right down the road, which is always a fun place to go mess around. PM me if you're interested, if not, no worries.
Quote by ExDementia
Well it's a 2 hour drive to San Diego, which is a bit far just to test an amp, but if you did, I'd give you a good price on it. Plus, Carvin's headquarters is right down the road, which is always a fun place to go mess around. PM me if you're interested, if not, no worries.

id love to but alas i have no car and i cant exactly take a day off to go test an amp
thanks though im pretty much sold on the V3m now maybe next time i go to san diego ill give you a pm and maybe we can jam

I'm LA as well, we have some great gear on CL with good prices I'd the person wants to sell. Keep yours eyes peeled and be ready to buy the same day it posts.

I've never played a V3 or an M but some of the guys aren't happy with channel 3- they say it lacks a little. Give one a test run at Guitar Center if they carry them or have a used one.

Edit- I have seen 5153 minis and mini rectos for your budget. Might be better for you?

What are your priorities?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Last edited by R45VT at Jun 10, 2013,
Jazz to shred?

Peavey JSX.

/thread.

Haha. I hated the V3M I played. Fizz everywhere. The regular V3 is supposed to be pretty good.

But really, I can't really think of anything that will give you better jazzy cleans, or be better voiced for soloing (virtuoso type stuff) at the same time in your price range.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Jun 10, 2013,
I know a dude who will sell you a 6505+ for $700. *cough cough*

3 channels of pure bliss.

I love the amp but I am trying to get an ASG Hybris from Craig. I'll probably hate myself for putting it up on CL.

3 button footswitch so its more flexible than the 6505. Green channel rhythm is actually more flexible than most give it credit for.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Quote by R45VT
I've never played a V3 or an M but some of the guys aren't happy with channel 3- they say it lacks a little.
Both channels 2 and 3 are identical. They're meant to be that way and then set up as differently as you want. I always thought it was hilarious to read that people felt one channel was a bit lacking or that one is for high gain and the other is for crunch. It kind of lets a little insight into how our brains can mess with our heads.
Quote by Offworld92

Haha. I hated the V3M I played. Fizz everywhere. The regular V3 is supposed to be pretty good.
Yeah, like I mentioned above, it doesn't do modern or extreme metal very well at all -- which is why I'm selling mine. The cleans and crunch are very good though.

+1 to the JSX suggestion

I would also suggest looking at the Egnater Tweaker series. That's a very versatile amp.
Tweaker is cool but doesn't do metal.

Good info on the V3M. Thats pretty interesting. I'll have to find one to play at some point just to check them out. Almost bought one before I picked up my Mark V. Glad I didn't though. I like modern metal.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Quote by R45VT
Tweaker is cool but doesn't do metal.
Huh? My other guitarist plays through a Tweaker 88 and it does metal just fine. It won't do djent or anything, but it definitely does what we play very well. It does take a bit of tweaking though, so if you ever play one again try this:
  • Modern mode
  • Tight setting
  • Mid cut switch depending on taste (offsets nicely with bringing the mids up after
  • hitting this)
  • Crank the gain on the lead channel
  • Use the built in boost as necessary

But then again, we don't really play modern 6505/Fireball type metal so we might be speaking a different language here. It certainly does metal better than the V3M, though.
Yeah thats not metal to me.

I like saturated distortion. Amps that can't hit that without a boost aren't metal amps. Sure they can be pushed there and sound metal...

Metal is wide open for interpretation.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
i haven't tried the carvin, but just to let you know, the ultimate drive is an ocd clone. the vintage overdrive is the tubescreamer clone.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Just re-read what you are after- I'd look at a DSL 50.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
The V3/V3m I have played are mediocre amps at best. Overly fizzy gain that was just unpleasant IMO.

The JSX is an awesome amp and is very versatile.

I have a DSL100 so I will go along with the DSL50 suggestion
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Is the v3m thta fizzy i read that a retube fixes any fizzyness about it

Ill look into the jsx and the dsl ive tried plenty if the other amps suggested and they didnt feel right
Cept the mesa ill have to look: nto that one too
And of course ive been lookijg at cl
Quote by supersac
Is the v3m thta fizzy i read that a retube fixes any fizzyness about it

Ill look into the jsx and the dsl ive tried plenty if the other amps suggested and they didnt feel right
Cept the mesa ill have to look: nto that one too
And of course ive been lookijg at cl

Yeah it is that fizzy. I have heard a re-tube helps the V3, but the V3m is just a fizzy mess no mater what.

The JSX is a great amp, I had one for several yrs and it can do just about any style and do it very well.

I really like my DSL100, it has really surprised me after a re-tube and a boost like a TS-9 makes for some really great toans.

visit www.guitarcenter.com/usedgear they have an awesome used section that is really very cheap. They ship to you for really cheap and you have a 30 day return policy. I have bought my last 2 amps from them and paid way less for them than CL wants.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jun 10, 2013,
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Last edited by R45VT at Jun 10, 2013,
I actually have a live studio recording on our EP called Lex Parsimonae with the V3M in it (it was the only amp I had working at the time). Not trying to advertise myself here or anything, but if you wanted to hear how it does metal in a live band situation, the link is in my sig.
I admittedly have not tried a V3M, but I owned big brother. My experience was what many people here have complained about, very fizzy amp. You can dial the fizz down on the V3 to the point where it isn't as noticeable, I'm not sure about the V3M.

I will say that I liked my V3, but I wouldn't use it for super heavy stuff or anything that relies on big palm mutes and chugging too much, I would say it is very much a prog-metaller's amp, smooth and precise, very sizzly. The cleans were always very pleasant as well, though I didn't like them as much as I thought I would.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Dsl
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Dsl

It's Cath's goal in life to see a Marshall in everyone's home some day.
Quote by black_box
This is one of the better youtube videos of the v3m doing metal-ish:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qKsRIu6Vt8

Almost any amp can do almost anything in a mix.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
It's not a home until there's a Marshall in it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
It's not a home until there's a Marshall in it.

Hey, you convinced me, didn't you?
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
All good options. I would check out that Ultra. Those are really underrated amps. Pretty decent cleans and an awesome gain channel. I'm always on the lookout for a decent one. I had one before but it needed too much work, so I flipped it for more than I bought it for.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

Shit dude

I didn't pull up any JSX's when I searched. There are some good deals there.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
alright i definately dont want fizz in my amp... im really starting to like the jsx from videos and youtube

for some reason the dsl doesnt impress me as much i really tohught it would but i guess thats what trying in person is for

the jsx is 120 watts? jesus i hope i can crank that
Last edited by supersac at Jun 10, 2013,