Hi guys,

I am kind of new in this forum and I have a question about the new amp I am going to buy.

I am using Ibanez 10G which really sucks. I need a better amp for sure. So after a short research I decided these two(Marshall MG 101 DFX and Roland Cube 80 XL) would be best for me but I can't decide between them. So can you tell me which one would be best for me.

I mostly play metal. I also play rock, metalcore and sometimes blues.

Edit: Budget $600-700
Last edited by Redwave at Jun 10, 2013,
Neither.

Buy a used Vypyr Tube 60. Or if you can't afford that, a Vypyr 30 or 75. What's your budget and location?
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
A Vypyr's your best bet. The next one I'd recommend is the one from Roland's X/XL series that suits your budget.
I've got a Cube 30x, and I really like it. More so than the Vypyr, but that's just my opinion. Try them out if you get the chance; then you can make the decision based on your own ears, and not general consensus.
Quote by soundgarden1986
Screw your bases. If she doesn't let me go elbow deep in her ass on the first date, it wasn't meant to be.

Quote by willT08
Every thread on here to do with audio quality is like walking into a paddock of shit slinging chimps
Quote by Eppicurt
Neither.

Buy a used Vypyr Tube 60. Or if you can't afford that, a Vypyr 30 or 75. What's your budget and location?

My budget is about $600-700

BTW guys, in my country it's hard to find Vypyr amps so I don't think it's a good idea for me.
Are you in the USA or a different country?

A used Vypyr tube 60 is a good safe bet

But if your in the USA, maybe something like a used Peavey Ultra/JSX would be a good choice
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I'm in Turkey

And also I looked up for Vypyr 60 Tube and they say this amp is too loud for bedroom practice. I think I can't increase the volume that much to get a fairly nice tone, my neighbours would probably be mad at me.
Quote by Redwave
I'm in Turkey

And also I looked up for Vypyr 60 Tube and they say this amp is too loud for bedroom practice. I think I can't increase the volume that much to get a fairly nice tone, my neighbours would probably be mad at me.

So are you just playing in your room by yourself or do you plan on playing with others also?

The Vypyr tube 60 does have a headphone jack and a volume knob. You can turn the amp down and it will still sound pretty good. Of course it will sound better at louder volumes.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
So are you just playing in your room by yourself or do you plan on playing with others also?

The Vypyr tube 60 does have a headphone jack and a volume knob. You can turn the amp down and it will still sound pretty good. Of course it will sound better at louder volumes.

I am going to play with this amp alone by myself. I go play in school's bandroom with my friends so I rarely move my amp away from my home. The place I live is not a crowded area so I can open the volume up a little but they say this amp is extremely loud which might be a problem.

I tried some amps in school today and I decided Roland Cube XL is the best between them. But I still couldn't try Vypyr amps.
Who's they?

A Vypyr 60 will be fine for home use, especially if you can open the volume up a bit.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
I tried one Marshall from MG series, Trace Elliot -I don't know the model-, Ibanez WT80, Yamaha GA15 and a Boston-again I don't know the model-.
The vypyr is better for pure versitality, but the Cube does what it does alot better (imo).
Main Rig
ESP LTD MH-350NT
Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey
Peavey 6505+ 112 w/ 2x12 (Celestion Vintage 30 and WGS Veteran 30)
[Effects Loop] Boss GE-7 > Boss CE-5 > TC Electronic Flashback