So I bought an old beat up guitar at a boot sale yesterday, I've always wanted to build my own guitar and I thought doing one up would be a good place to start, and it was really cheap so I thought why not. However a lot of the screws were really rusty and I stripped them trying to get them out, so I ended up having to drill them out, meaning there is a few extra holes in the body. There are also some large dents in the fingerboard. So my question is, and It may be a silly one, but can I just use normal wood filler to fill holes/dents in a guitar? And how would I go about sorting out the fingerboard? Thank you
Bass:Squire Vintage Modified Jazz Bass
Guitar: Fender Mexican Telecaster Standard
Pedals: Boss ME-25>EHX Germanium 4 Big Muff Pi>EHX Small Stone
Bass Amp: Orange Crush 100
Amp: Fender Mustang II
Okay thanks, I'm glad I asked now! The wood I'm pretty sure is rosewood and the dents are a little smaller than standard inlay dots
Bass:Squire Vintage Modified Jazz Bass
Guitar: Fender Mexican Telecaster Standard
Pedals: Boss ME-25>EHX Germanium 4 Big Muff Pi>EHX Small Stone
Bass Amp: Orange Crush 100
Amp: Fender Mustang II
You can enlarge the holes to 1/8" because hardwood dowels of 1/8" size are relatively common, you can use either carpenter wood glue or super glue in the hole then shove the dowels in. Its okay to have the dowels protruding from the hole because you can cut and sand them down
???
You should have your dowels made, or make them your self using a plugcutter. This way you can ensure the orientation of the grain is the same as in you guitar. Most dowels are perpendicular to the grain in your guitar. And indeed, smaller holes can be filled with a dust/glue mix, but I wouldn't use woodglue. Woodglue tends to shrink as it hardens. Epoxy's or superglue are your best bet.