I want to choose between Martin D12X1AE and Seagull Coastline S12. I don't have the possibility to listen them live in action before buying.. Thank you veru much!
Last edited by nicanorgrecu at Jun 12, 2013,
I've never played either but based on the look and a quick googling of the specs, I'd choose the Seagull.
as do i. my husband is drawn to play one every time we visit mccabe's, and it sounds nice.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
I have a Martin 12 string, I haven't played the seagull, so I can't really compare it. But the Martin plays beautifully. I spent some time comparing loads of 12 strings and finally decided on some Alverez. But they had a Martin for $200 less that outplayed them all. I don't know if it's a characteristic of martins but it had a real "woody" sound (if that makes any sense) compared to the real high jangliness of the other guitars. It has a great sound to it, and stays in tune perfectly. Anyways I immediately bought the Martin, so I hope this rambling story helps
Quote by Chase.A
I have a Martin 12 string, I haven't played the seagull, so I can't really compare it. But the Martin plays beautifully. I spent some time comparing loads of 12 strings and finally decided on some Alverez. But they had a Martin for $200 less that outplayed them all. I don't know if it's a characteristic of martins but it had a real "woody" sound (if that makes any sense) compared to the real high jangliness of the other guitars. It has a great sound to it, and stays in tune perfectly. Anyways I immediately bought the Martin, so I hope this rambling story helps
Let's see if I can't get a little ramble of my own happening here.

I love 12 strings, (I own 3 ATM), but I hate the sound of them. With that said, IMHO they all need to be amped, EQ'd, and most importantly, have the right strings put on them.

I own a Crafter AE 12 string, (D8-12 LH). When I got it, it was the most God awful sounding piece of shit I ever heard. Crafter ships with "Korean 12 string" string sets. In the case of this 12, they were 80/20 brass, of unspecified parentage. Off they came, and on went a set of D'Addario EXP phosphor bronze lights. It still sounded like crap, but a bit more genteel crap.

So, I played it until the new string sound went away. Which took a while since those EXP D'addarios are coated. It sounds pretty darn good now.

What have we learned? 12 strings can stand to have their string sets left on practically forever. It's almost the deader the better. Unless the fret goes clean through the tiny wound G , I leave 'em on. (It'll buzz when that happens).

On to the AE portion of the program. I like to plug my acoustic 12 in every time I play. The bass gets boosted almost all the way, and the mid and treble get dialed way back I only turn the amp up to reinforce the bottom end. This gives the impression of playing in a larger room, and shows off the 12 string's massive bottom end in its best light. The overall volume is not very much more than the instrument gives off itself, but the sound is contoured.

Quote by nicanorgrecu
I want to choose between Martin D12X1AE and Seagull Coastline S12. I don't have the possibility to listen them live in action before buying.. Thank you veru much!

On to TS' question. Intellectually, (which is the only way I can judge it, since I haven't played either guitar), I'd buy the Seagull.

The Seagull has a solid CEDAR top, which is a fair amount more mellow than Sitka from the jump. You don't have to wait for it to break in either. That should help to tame the "jangle".

The Martin "X" series is made out of particle board, the Seagull is laminate B &S, but at least it's real wood.

Seagull's Q1 electronics only has bass and treble, and not 3 band like I'm assuming the Martin does. That's no big deal, you'll do just fine as you EQ around the mid range anyway. (bass up / treble down).

Anyway, due to sonic considerations, I would absolutely NOT buy a 12 string without electronics. I'm willing to negotiate with 6 strings, (not a whole lot though), but not with a 12.

So, if this were my 700 bucks, I'd grab the Seagull in a heatbeat. In fact, if I ever see 700 bucks again, I may do exactly that....
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jun 12, 2013,