If anyone has any experience with playing Vox AC30's on clean settings and comparing it to the cleans of a Marshall Super Lead or even a Plexi. The Vox seems to cover absolutely everything except hi-gain which is why I want a super lead or Plexi because it can get dirty and gainy real quick but I've never heard too much of their cleans.. Say the Plexi had a master volume to control the massive volume but keeps the tone, at this point which one would you guys go with?

Disregard the apples and oranges mentality, if you had the choice to pick one to cover primarily Sabbath, Hendrix, and get chimney cleans too which one would you chose?
To cover Sabbath and Hendrix-y stuff you'll need more gain than an AC30 can pump out on its own. You could either go for a pedal with that to dirty it up or go for a Plexi/SuperLead and use the volume pot to add more "sparkle" to the cleans if and when you use them. Considering Hendrix actually used a Plexi I'd recommend that, but the choice is all yours dude.
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the input. I know these amps were created with different focuses in mind but cleans are equally as important to me. I own an Ibanez Tubescreamer (the green one thats all stock) and should've mentioned it. With the inclusion of the pedal would it bump the Ac30 up?

Right now I'm leaning more towards the Plexi (a Metropoulos 12000 to be more specific) for $1200 because I heard it nails the Hendrix tone but wasn't too sure if it got good cleans since most demo's just show the hot rodded Van Halen sound.
Quote by BrownGibsonDude
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the input. I know these amps were created with different focuses in mind but cleans are equally as important to me. I own an Ibanez Tubescreamer (the green one thats all stock) and should've mentioned it. With the inclusion of the pedal would it bump the Ac30 up?

Right now I'm leaning more towards the Plexi (a Metropoulos 12000 to be more specific) for $1200 because I heard it nails the Hendrix tone but wasn't too sure if it got good cleans since most demo's just show the hot rodded Van Halen sound.

Don't worry about the cleans that much. You can later upgrade pickups or buy an EQ pedal to help with those, and considering that the Plexi might be a little weaker than the AC in clean tones it can handle them but the AC cannot do metal at all, I'd go wih the plexi.
I can get some Sabbath tones with a Muff style fuzz into a Tubescreamer.
But without pedals, you can't get Sabbath tones with an AC30.
But I also have a 2x12 cab with an Alnico Gold and a G12K, which I'm sure helps a bit.

Edit:
And an MXR 10 band EQ.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Jun 10, 2013,
Quote by CodeMonk
I can get some Sabbath tones with a Muff style fuzz into a Tubescreamer.

Of course if you stick a Triple Wreck or an Openhaus pedal in front of the AC it gives good metal tones. My point is their sound without help. Or then you're not serious and I'm horrible at spotting jokes and sarcasm. Probably the latter

EDIT: Oh, you edited Just ignore me.
Marshall plexi/superlead are far from a hi-gain amp.

But I agree the AC-30 does not do higher gain stuff at all on its own
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Yeah, I can get sabbath tones.
Just takes a bit of fiddling with the various pedal settings.

I can pretty much nail the tones of Electric Funeral for instance.

But without pedals, Its not gonna happen.

Edit:
Also, keep in mind, I have 18 pedals on my board so I can get a lot of different sounds.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Jun 10, 2013,
Quote by Robbgnarly
Marshall plexi/superlead are far from a hi-gain amp.

But I agree the AC-30 does not do higher gain stuff at all on its own

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?