Hello guys, I have been playing acoustic guitar for a year or so and I bought a Yamaha RGX121Z and a Marshall MG30CFX last month. Im fluent with chords and some scales. I didnt had a teacher to teach me guitar I browsed the internet and self studied everything by my self. Currently im following jusinguitar.com. So I started to play solos and licks. Is my amp and guitar good enough for now? So what do you guys think?
Last edited by digitalac3 at Jun 11, 2013,
Your guitar is a great beginners guitar, wouldn't change that.

Lots of people are going to tell you your amp sucks. Try developing an ear for tone and go play some good amps. Save up and buy one of those amps you like when you have the money for it. Right now your amp is OK for you, as long as you're happy with it.

If you want something new and exciting, try experimenting with effects.
Better gear than I started with... Just keep playing.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86

x2. Focus on playing rather than gear.

Your equipment is much better than the stuff I started.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
My Rage !08 was a killer black metal amp.

Get a cheap little effects processor, you'll have so much fun!
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Thanks guys I saved money to buy this guitar and amp for so long time and yes I feel the amp isnt enough butat least I got one to practice. Connecting my phone to it so I can play backtracks really helps me alot. I think im gonna have to stick with this amp for sometime so I can save some more money and buy a better amp and a pedal also may be. Now I have to focus more on practicing. Blues, rock and metal <3 too bad I dont have a good teacher
If you aren't satisfied with your tone, you could consider buying a new amp. But if you think there's nothing wrong with your tone, I don't see a point in upgrading your gear. Your amp and guitar are good enough if you like them. I would maybe start worrying about my tone a bit more after you have learned to play the guitar better. Bad tone can be due to your sloppy playing too and you might not sound any better through a better amp. (And I'm not saying that your tone sucks and your playing is sloppy.)
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by tubetime86

+1

Don't let other people tell you what you need to change - let your own ear tell you.

Besides... the GAS road is long, dark and uncurable. Save yourself!

Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
^ LOL

You can get a used Vypyr Tube 60 for under $250 these days. My feeling is that if you like your tone, you'll play more. I know it has worked for me

Quote by Offworld92
+1

Don't let other people tell you what you need to change - let your own ear tell you.

Besides... the GAS road is long, dark and uncurable. Save yourself!

Also +1
Thanks guys xD will I be able to become a good guitarist without a teacher?
Quote by digitalac3

Well, you could be able to aspire to a decent level but you'd be making a lot more progress with a teacher to guide you along the way. A teacher would be able to point out bad habits and such in your technique which will help you a lot. Trust me, bad technique once completely implemented in your playing is hell to fix.
Ibanez: RGD2127Z
Ibanez: RG1527
Ibanez: RG1570
Ibanez: S7420
Ibanez: JS100
Dean: Razorback Cemetery Gates
Peavey: 6505+
Fractal Audio: Axe FX II mark 2
Mesa Boogie: Recto 4x12

7>6! Join the 7-string legion!
Quote by Hell Kaiser Ryo
Well, you could be able to aspire to a decent level but you'd be making a lot more progress with a teacher to guide you along the way. A teacher would be able to point out bad habits and such in your technique which will help you a lot. Trust me, bad technique once completely implemented in your playing is hell to fix.

I don't think I can find a good teacher in my country :/ thats why I started teach myself alone.
Quote by digitalac3
I don't think I can find a good teacher in my country :/ thats why I started teach myself alone.

You tube will be your friend.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Quote by R45VT
You tube will be your friend.

Yeah thats what I have been doing since I got my first guitar and im happy to say I have made a pretty nice progress.
Yamaha RGX121Z
Marshall MG30CFX (I knooooooow )
What's your other language? Just curious...
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What's your other language? Just curious...

You are not a racist are you? :P just kidding its Sinhala. My english is bad isnt it?
Yamaha RGX121Z
Actually you do type pretty coherent English. You've made quite a few grammatical mistakes, but I would never have guessed you were foreign if you never mentioned it.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jun 11, 2013,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Actually you do type pretty coherent English. You've made quite a few grammatical mistakes, but I would never have guessed you were foreign if you never mentioned it.

Grammar has been my biggest enemy since forever :/
Yamaha RGX121Z
Quote by digitalac3

I learned guitar 19yrs ago with my brother and his friends showing me E,A,D,G,C,F chords and that is it. I have taught myself everything without help from the internet.

I am by no means a great guitarist, but I have played professionally for 13 yrs. there is a song in my profile by my band Teabaggin. Check it out it is no EVH,SRV by any means but I am very proud of it because it does not suck

No I can't rip leads like a lot of people (I am a decent player) , but I have a great ear and I know how to write good songs, not just riffs. I think this has a lot to do with self teaching and learning by ear.

I had the same crap Dean 25 watt practice amp from the time I started playing guitar until I was 22, so 7 yrs. My 1st guitar was really a great guitar that I still have and play live all the time
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jun 11, 2013,
There are/were some really good guitarists that were self taught like Jimi Hendrix and Jimmy Page. You don't need a teacher to become a good guitarist. I'm pretty sure Eddie Van Halen was self taught too. Actually most of rock guitarists are self taught. So really, don't worry about that too much. Today there are lots of good books and free internet lessons available. I didn't take guitar lessons until last year and I think I was pretty decent guitarist before I started taking lessons (though I already had lots of musical knowledge because I had been playing trumpet for a long time before I started playing the guitar).
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Thank you both Robbgnarly and MaggaraMarine for your motivating words but I don't have a good knowledge about music theory. I need to work on that too. Currently im working on getting better with the guitar

Ps. Im browsing the forum with my smartphone atm because I broke my pc too bad the UG isnt on tapatalk :/
Yamaha RGX121Z