Welcome to my journey to a new guitar . I've been playing guitar for about 2 years now and i've been pretty fanatically since a while. I see (and hear) myself progress, I'm getting better in distinguising sound etcetera. I currently have 1 decent electric guitar, a PRS SE EG (3 single coils) and 1 guitar that isn't that great, a cheap Squier. All I wrote above combined with the fact that I will join a beginner band soon and that I have some financial room right now, makes it a perfect situation to buy a new guitar!

The PRS does his job very well, but one day i'll buy a high-end strat. Therefor I am looking for a somewhat other sound than 3 single coils right now.

Some info:

- I am looking for a clear and bright sound with a little sparkle and a bit warm as well, without getting to fat and massive. It is a bit of a Telecaster sound, but with less 'twang' I think?
- Budget = €800-€100- = $1055-$1300
- Preferably new. This because I am not really experienced with buying guitars and buying a new one makes it easier to go back to the shop and benefit from their services.
- Styles I play/like: A lot, so versatility is desirable. I like rock, funk, 70's-80's rock, a little blues and jazz. I'm not a metal fan at all and not a fan of super slow stuff neither, apart from that I play everything in between.
- I currently play over a Boss BR-800 with headphones and I have a Fender Mustang 1 at home. When I'll join a band, a new amp will be bought, so that should not be the problem.

I did quite some research and I came up with this guitars:
- Some telecasters, especially the Fender Deluxe 72 and Fender 72 thinline. The clean tones of this Telecaster are coming really close towards the sounds I want.
- I also liked the clean tones of the Hagstrom Super Swede P90's, clean from 1:31, but it tends to be a little muddy and dark.
- Eastman T486 Bigsby

I probably missed out on some awesome guitars, so with your help I'll hope to find my new guitar . I'd love to hear your input!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jun 10, 2013,
If those Telecasters are more or less what you want then get one. Telecasters are unbelievably awesome.

It can be very difficult to get the exact tone you have in your head. It may not exist, or it may be achievable with pedals or by a particular amp. If you can get pretty close I'd go for it.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Last edited by Mephaphil at Jun 10, 2013,
Thanks for the input so far. I forgot to write that I've played some tele's that I liked. I also let my music store order a Hagstrom Super Swede P90 so I can compare them all head to head. I'm just looking around to see if I missed some beauty's that are worth playing before I decide!
There are literally hundreds of guitar makers out there, so by definition, you have!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by dannyalcatraz
There are literally hundreds of guitar makers out there, so by definition, you have!

True, haha! That's why I want to take my time a little and be really sure where I'm going to spend my 1000 euro's on. It's a nice journey towards the final result tho.
Just an option, what about a Les Paul with P90's? Les Pauls are usually warmer and fatter than strats but P90's give it more brightness. PRS and Gibson both offer those within your price range. But if you fancied the Teles that might not be what you're looking for, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to mention them
Quote by guitar/bass95
Just an option, what about a Les Paul with P90's? Les Pauls are usually warmer and fatter than strats but P90's give it more brightness. PRS and Gibson both offer those within your price range. But if you fancied the Teles that might not be what you're looking for, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to mention them

Thanks for the input, they are decent options! Will visit the local music stores and compare them all.
Godin's Richmond line has the Empire, an LP-style guitar which comes in a HS or as a 2xP90 configuration.

http://www.richmondguitarscanada.com/empire.html

Godin's Core & Icon lines also have nome nice P90 LP-style guitars.

http://godinguitars.com/godinproductlistingp.htm

Reverend has several nice P90 axes, including the Double Agent, which has a bridge HB and a P90 in the neck. There aren't really any LP-shaped ones in the line, but they're all made of korina, which will give them similar qualities to the mahogany of an LP.

http://www.reverendguitars.com/category/guitar/

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jun 10, 2013,
Good call- forgot them!

Although I've been looking on Youtbe a ton, I missed out on 'Gregsguitars'. The guy has a shop, but has a HUGE AMOUNT of guitar demo's online as well. On every guitar he plays a similar style which makes it nice to compare. Most of the time he is improvising over a backing track and adds a little gain here and there. It gives a really good impression of the gituar, but he can let every guitar good I think. I will watch his vids to help me in my selection. Thanks for the input so far tho!
Maybe a used American PRS? Very versatile.

I hate to be the first one to bring it up, but the amp you're using also has a large influence on your overall sound. I'm not saying you need to get a new one, but maybe try new combinations of pickup, volume knob, and tone knob positions on your guitar, and EQ positions on your amp, when you do get a new one.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Quote by AWACS

I hate to be the first one to bring it up, but the amp you're using also has a large influence on your overall sound.

Someone had to.

Quote by AWACS

I hate to be the first one to bring it up, but the amp you're using also has a large influence on your overall sound. I'm not saying you need to get a new one, but maybe try new combinations of pickup, volume knob, and tone knob positions on your guitar, and EQ positions on your amp, when you do get a new one.

I have a Fender Mustang 1 for the room I sleep in. Downstairs we have a Vox VT20+m vut I rarely play over them because I love my Boss so far. But you are totally right, I am planning to buy a new amp, especially when the band will find a way through. Another thing is that I will bring my PRS with me when I will try other guitars to get an even better idea of the sounds of both guitars.
Last edited by GuitarL91 at Jun 11, 2013,
I just got a call that the Hagstrom is delivered at the music store. I will compare it there with some other guitars . Update will follow!
The Hagstrom isn't what I expected it to be, what a bummer. Although it is a sweet looking guitar, the playability wasn't fitting my way of playing. A part of the bridge was pushing on my wrist in a really annoying way. It felt it immediately when I started playing and it didn't get better.
That sucks...but I know what you mean- ergonomics matter. That's why I may never own a Fender. Despite their quality, the is some subtle thing they do that others don't that bugs me. I just can't find a comfy one.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
That sucks...but I know what you mean- ergonomics matter. That's why I may never own a Fender. Despite their quality, the is some subtle thing they do that others don't that bugs me. I just can't find a comfy one.

Ergonomics and feel are important indeed, but it's personal tho. Everybody has different hands, playing style and preferences. It's funny tho, my dad owns a decent strat and it plays like heaven for me.

This guitar wasn't for me so we keep on searching . I'm not in a hurry tho, but will test some other models soon .
I second a Lp with p90's
Guitars:
Esp Ec-1000 VB with Emg 81/60
Esp ec-1000 Snow White with SD Jb/Jazz
Esp ltd f-50
Amp:
Randall rd-20h
Randall rd112-v30
Pedals:
Digitech rp-1000
Pretty usefull today. I compared some Telecaster with a Gibson I liked (Future tribute) and it is a Telecaster I am looking for. Unfortunately the Tele's I had my eyes on were not in the shop, but next week they will.

The Baja I played had some sweet tones, but the neck is pretty thick, a little too much.

Next week I will compare the following Tele's and buy one .

- Fender 72 Telecaster Thinline
- Fender Telecaster Deluxe
- Fender 60th Anniversary Telecaster
- Fender American Standard Telecaster

What's your pick ?
Have a go at building one. Its not so easy but very satisfying. Just really got mine sorted after a few years of tuning and tweaking, and there is nothing like it anywhere. Great fun
Quote by Emperor's Child
HNGD! What made you pick the Thinline in the end?

This isn't the Thinline, the Thinline has an F-hole. I ended up testing the Fender 72 Telecaster Deluxe, the Fender 72 Telacaster Thinline and the Eastman T486 Bigsby. The sound of the deluxe was a little brighter and more adventerous then the others and a little more characteristic. The sound of this Tele is bright, little warm and really articulated. Some day it is a mix between a strat and a Tele. Because of the 2 humbuckers it is missing the Tele 'twang' but I really like the sound. I opened a HNGD thread with better pics.