The long uncertain path of being a musician, or the security of a job.

Page 1 of 2
I have a problem. My friends are biased. You're better.

Do i choose...

Buy a van, go on tour, play shows yadda yadda and risk losing a good career i'm working my way into.

Or carry on my Job, Try to make as much of a career as i can and lead a normal life, Always with the idea i missed out on something.

Oh god...
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
Hard choice.

I would be doing option 1 but because of my girlfriend I'm trying hard to get into a normal career choice.
Quote by Venice King
Snatch is such a crude term - Use a better one like axe-wound or cave-opening.

Gear:
Ibanez ART300
Roland Cube 20X

I make trip-hop
https://soundcloud.com/chris-thomas-214
^ Check it out
Quote by cliff_em_all
I have a problem. My friends are biased. You're better.

Do i choose...

Buy a van, go on tour, play shows yadda yadda and risk losing a good career i'm working my way into.

Or carry on my Job, Try to make as much of a career as i can and lead a normal life, Always with the idea i missed out on something.

Oh god...

Well dude, I met this guy this summer who travels around Europe, from Spain up to Germany playing music. Honest to god, I have no idea how he pays for anything. He's 50 something, so he's been doing this for a long time. I often think he lives with the help of others but he gets by. He has no kids. No wife.

Is he happy? Hell yeah he is, at least from what I can see.

Me? I couldn't do it. I'm a person who needs security. I'm working towards financial stability and a career. After that, I can still play music whenever I want.

Like I said, the guy is 50, he lives together with other people. There's no age limit to stop playing music.
Last edited by Philip_pepper at Jun 10, 2013,
Unless you're supremely lucky, you're never going to not have doubts about the choices you make. We always wonder what could have been. I think it's safe to say that there are multiple paths that each person can take to achieve happiness and satisfaction. So rather than worrying which individual one you chose, try to think of the multiple paths you could take, pick the one that fits best, and never look back.
Try to do both?

Having job security (and funds) to fuel your music career is the much more logical choice then just doing the classic "going out west to be a star" type of thing.

Now, if it gets to the point where making music is earning you more money, and take up more of your time to where you can afford to quit your job and do the musician thing full time, then go for it.

If not, keep your day job and follow the music path on your own time.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Personally I would choose the certain path of being a talented musician and playing with Taylor Swift or Willie Nelson, but I don't know if you are or aren't good enough for that.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Depending on where you are in Surrey, it has a decent music scene. You could keep your job, but carry on playing in random bands, then once you actually have money, and something to fall back on without risking living in a car in the back streets of Lille for months, try to get something together, like a UK or London tour or something.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
Well, what do you want your everday life to be like?

Travelling in a little van then playing 1 awesome hour of music, or working 8 boring hours then coming home to a comfy house.
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
Quote by GuitarQ33r0
Just do whatever makes you happy man

This really is the only answer, to be honest.
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
Follow your heart. And if your heart leads you astray, then there's nothing saying you can't quit and go back to a "normal" life.
That's what I plan on doing after I pay off some debt.
do the music thing while you can. at this point in your young life you have the least to lose and the most to gain. pursue your passion accordingly.
#DTWD
This might be yet another area that living in Europe has its advantages over the U.S.

If I could get healthcare and be a musician, I would choose that over my job even if it didn't pay as much. But I can't so I can't.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

Do both!

Tuesdays to Thursdays I work 9-5 in an office. Friday-Sundays I tour the UK. they both make around 8k p/a each. It get's hard with so little time off but it's a lot of fun
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
Quote by mystical_1
This might be yet another area that living in Europe has its advantages over the U.S.

If I could get healthcare and be a musician, I would choose that over my job even if it didn't pay as much. But I can't so I can't.

two sides to every coin, bro. you live in the US? you live on one enormous stretch of land which you can drive, public transit or get planes across. there's one currency and by and large everyone speaks the same language.

i live in the UK. we have healthcare. if i walk for 10 minutes in any direction i am at the edge of the map. so i go to another country, cash up some money for a bit of their currency, and then what, have to hope that every single person i need can speak good english, and that all the road signs and that kinda thing are easily understood.

i'd rather live in the US. i personally think there's a very good reason why (in terms of the music which i care about at least, which is mostly punk) there's so much larger of a DIY scene + movement in the US than there is out here.

also the fact that the music scene in england f*cking sucks and has done for probably two decades. amy winehouse was the only interesting thing to come out of this sh*t little rock in i don't know how long and she's not around anymore.

rant over.
Last edited by kthxbi at Jun 12, 2013,
Quote by ProphetToJables
Do both!

Tuesdays to Thursdays I work 9-5 in an office. Friday-Sundays I tour the UK. they both make around 8k p/a each. It get's hard with so little time off but it's a lot of fun

I'm not talking about Friday-Sunday tours. Im talking about 1 month+
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

Life's full of compromises, you do what you have to to get your name out there. There's nothing wrong doing gigs solely on weekends.
Gear:

Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
Quote by cliff_em_all
I'm not talking about Friday-Sunday tours. Im talking about 1 month+

Even so, most places in the UK you can reach within a couple of hours - it should be possible (but freaking hard work) to pull of a job and a tour. If you've got Scotland gigs - fly. The others in the band should be able to help transport gear etc...

It boils down to your personal preferences, and it does depend a lot on your band, and it will be hard - but it's possible. Look at bands like Therapy? when they set out, or Reuben etc.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Are you good enough to play 1 month + tours?

I'm not saying that you're not, but is your music something that would attract people show after show, city after city? Do you have enough original material to have a unique sound, and enough covers to attract first time listeners? If not, then you need to practice your craft more before you set out to do something like this. It takes hard work and a lot of talent to make a living playing gigs.

Keep in mind, touring is not the only way to make money with music. There is production, teaching, composing, busking, playing small gigs like weddings, pit orchestras, etc.
Think about it this way; There is no such a thing as security! The money we earn, the career we've been working for our whole lives are just creating this false sense of security, but there's no such a thing. If you don't think that you can lose your job any day and end up on the street or in best case scenario, crashing at friends places, you live in a dream world. Hit the road Jack!
I'd also like to say let me know if you're in the Derby area, I'll be happy to helop out however I can. At the very least, I've got loads of booze and a house, so we can get smashed!
Quote by GLP_Arclite

Quote by metacarpi
Even so, most places in the UK you can reach within a couple of hours - it should be possible (but freaking hard work) to pull of a job and a tour. If you've got Scotland gigs - fly. The others in the band should be able to help transport gear etc...

It boils down to your personal preferences, and it does depend a lot on your band, and it will be hard - but it's possible. Look at bands like Therapy? when they set out, or Reuben etc.

I agree with most of this except flying to Scotland, that's just an unwarrented hassle, especialy with gear. It takes like 6 hours to drive there if you're in the Midlands.

If you don't have a large fanbase spread throughout, theres no point in a 1month+ tour, you'll make a huge loss. Just go to smaller venues and work your way up to it. Theres also a lot more involved in touring than actually touring.

THis is coming from someone who has gigged in Scotland and Devon in 1 week with three days of office work in between, I'm also playing Germany for two weeks towards the end of the year. It can be done.
Gear:

Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
Quote by ProphetToJables
I agree with most of this except flying to Scotland, that's just an unwarrented hassle, especialy with gear. It takes like 6 hours to drive there if you're in the Midlands.

Yeah, but I think Cliff is based closer to London, so it makes more sense for him.

Driving to Edinburgh from Derby at a steady 60/65mph took me about 7 hours in the past year or so, with a couple of stops.
Quote by GLP_Arclite

Ah I see, I've never flown for a gig (We're even driving from West Mids to Germany) so I don't know what kind of costs are involved for transporting gear on a plane.
Gear:

Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
Quote by ProphetToJables
Ah I see, I've never flown for a gig (We're even driving from West Mids to Germany) so I don't know what kind of costs are involved for transporting gear on a plane.

Admittedly I was thinking that if Cliff was working, his band could take the gear etc in the van and Cliff just had to fly himself up there after work or something
Quote by GLP_Arclite

Music therapy is a viable option, if you want to look into it. I think you have to study a fair bit of psych for that though, and it doesn't suit everyone. In the UK, you have to study for and obtain an master's in music therapy.
Quote by metacarpi
Admittedly I was thinking that if Cliff was working, his band could take the gear etc in the van and Cliff just had to fly himself up there after work or something

Yeah that'll fly with a band.
Gear:

Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
Quote by ProphetToJables
Yeah that'll fly with a band.

Granted I've never played any gigs outside of my town and the few neighbouring, but I think that my band would have been fine with that if I couldn't get around it any other way

Maybe my band was just full of pussies though.
Quote by GLP_Arclite

"You guys pack all my gear up, drive it for 8 hours to a gig all day, unload it and get in the venue for free while I get paid for a job and catch a plane to the gig an hour before hand"

I can not think of a reason that anyone would not be completely fine with this decision Unless they were the definite leader of the band inw hich case the other members would probably want to be paid for their work.
Gear:

Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
Quote by ProphetToJables
"You guys pack all my gear up, drive it for 8 hours to a gig all day, unload it and get in the venue for free while I get paid for a job and catch a plane to the gig an hour before hand"

I can not think of a reason that anyone would not be completely fine with this decision Unless they were the definite leader of the band inw hich case the other members would probably want to be paid for their work.

I see it more as "Guys, I can get out of this shit at work, I think this solution would work and make sure we get the gig played properly", but I can see your point! Although lets say that in this hypothetical, the money earned from the job gets poured back into the band in gear and beer.
Quote by GLP_Arclite

Quote by MeGaDeth2314
Are you good enough to play 1 month + tours?

I'm not saying that you're not, but is your music something that would attract people show after show, city after city? Do you have enough original material to have a unique sound, and enough covers to attract first time listeners? If not, then you need to practice your craft more before you set out to do something like this. It takes hard work and a lot of talent to make a living playing gigs.

Keep in mind, touring is not the only way to make money with music. There is production, teaching, composing, busking, playing small gigs like weddings, pit orchestras, etc.

We've just been approached by a serious management company with good contacts in mainland Europe and in particular, Russia. We have more than enough original materials, and like majority on bands on teh scene, we do not play covers. We're all former music college students who have studied the industry. But yeah its a hard one to Judge, Management will always tell you your the best and can do it.
Quote by ZanasCross

If you can negotiate an advance, do it.
Gear:

Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
Quote by kthxbi

also the fact that the music scene in england f*cking sucks and has done for probably two decades. amy winehouse was the only interesting thing to come out of this sh*t little rock in i don't know how long and she's not around anymore.

rant over.

Eh? From an outsider's perspective, I gotta tell you that doesn't seem right. A TON of big popular bands belong to the UK, all which came up within the last 2 decades.

Compared to other countries (barring US) UK is an oasis.

TS : Try 1 and if doesn't work out, go for 2. Don't leave any regrets.
Quote by SlinkyBlue

The solution is simple and obvious.

We revolt against ourselves. Mass suicide. The ultimate revolution.
Do both.

I can think of a few bands that do full on month + long tours but have normal jobs the rest of the time.
I am not accountable for this, okay.
Page 1 of 2