Maybe this will be stickied or something, I haven't seen something like it pop up. But I think this would be a good place for the Do It Yourselfers to share some of the projects they've worked on. It may inspire someone else to start up a project, and it could be a good place to share tips and information of that nature.

So without further ado:

This was a MIM jazz bass V I did earlier in the year. Fairly simple, I stripped off the black finish with a heat gun, then sanded the body down and finished it with a few coats of poly. Besides being more physically appealing, it had small effects on the weight and overall tone of the bass.

This is a little mini-stack I've thrown together in the past couple of months. The cab is a Sunn 1x15. It was originally black tolex and grill. I tore off the tolex, sanded down the adhesive, and stained the wood finish. Then, I replaced the black grill cloth with some tweed-like material. The head was an Ampeg SVT 350 I got as a freebie in a trade last year. I was planning on doing the same stain, however I found out the Ampeg is made out of particle board pretty quickly. I work as a graphic designer at a sign shop, so I used company time to print some wood-grain onto mac tac vinyl (the kind of stuff they use on car-wraps). Then, the grill cloth was covered with burlap.

What's everyone else been working on?
There's actually a whole forum for building/customising, just in case it was missed. : Here it is.

I'm working on my second parts build right now though. My first didn't involve much work. I just bolted a pre-decaled neck onto a loaded body, gave it some strings and some new controls and set it up. At some point I might go back and work on the electronics or something. I really only built it because I liked the grain and the finish on the body when I saw it.

And now I'm building a 5 string Stingray clone, using the body and neck of a Vintage EST96. I've stripped off the old finish and I've been waiting for the weather to improve so that I can refinish it. I'm going to use a Wudtone kit in Saffron yellow, to see what they're like. I'm thinking about maybe adding a veneer, but that depends on how the grain looks once the sanding is finished. This is the body before stripping:

I have a couple of other images around here somewhere of the work process. I'll dig them out later. After refinishing I'll start on the electronics.
Quote by FatalGear41
Bassists don't hover on the forum day and night like guitarists. We've got lives to lead, music to play and whiskey to drink.

Quote by Ziphoblat
I'd rather go at my hands with a hacksaw than play lead guitar, and I'm only slightly exaggerating.
Been working on this dragon for a while:

- Swamp Ash Body
- Warmoth Wenge Neck, Ebony board - Fretless.
- Gotoh 203 bridge.
- Schaller Tuners.
- Nordstrand 4.2 MM pickup with Nordstrand 2B-MM Preamp.
- Custom pickguard from Warmoth.
- Finished in Daphne Blue.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Last edited by consecutive e at Jun 14, 2013,