Anyone know of any good room humidifiers for my new all solid taylor acoustic? the taylor is in my room on a stand, so I just want to keep the room humidified. The room is quite small, so it doesn't have to be anything big. I guess it just need a screen display and the option to select a certain % humidity. Anyone know of any good ones that they like or use that might work for me? Thanks!!!
Last edited by Isakale at Jun 10, 2013,
Is this one of their electric guitars? If so, humidifying is not quite as important as it is for a solid top acoustic.

However, even though it's not important, I still find that they benefit from humidification. You don't say where you're from, but if it's spring, summer or even early fall, you may not need to humidify right now. I only humidify during the dry winter months. Any good hardware store, such as Lowes, or Home Depot, should have humidifiers during the dry months. Get one with enough capacity to handle the room it's in, plus more. I use a decent capacity humidifier in my home studio, another one out in the hall and then a pair of them on the first floor.

Hunter is one of the brands with a LED display. The sensors on these units eventually drift out-of-tolerance, so you'll also need a good, electronic hygrothermometer to monitor the room. I use it to adjust the output of the humidifier.
Great, thanks! Yep, it is a Taylor acoustic.
I live in Alaska, but my cheaper hygrometer is saying my room is at about 35%-40% pretty regularly, and Taylor recommend 47%.
if i remember correctly, there's a Lowe's right on Tudor rd. you're only in Eagle River. if you see that CHair force photographer ssgt staffan while your home...bastard still owes me a lunch. remind him that 'ol Steppy ain't forgot.
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
Quote by Isakale
Great, thanks! Yep, it is a Taylor acoustic.
I live in Alaska, but my cheaper hygrometer is saying my room is at about 35%-40% pretty regularly, and Taylor recommend 47%.
Yeah well, the people at Taylor like to hear themselves talk. Good luck maintaining, "exactly 47% RH" year round. Do you live in a laboratory? Cause if not, 40% to 60% year round should be your short term goal.

I mean hell, do we think they'll void the warranty if it slips to 48% for a day or two?
ya know. sometimes i leave for a few weeks at a time. the humidifiers eventually run out of water. when i get home, the sun still shines over my guitar room(actually, it can't....it's a converted basement without windows...most would rather i play my guitars a lot further south). i refill them and life resumes.
a humidifier and a better hygrometer and life is better again. you live in alaska dude ! lack of humidity is to be expected.
(BTW, what Taylor???)
Thanks guys!

Stepchild - I got a Taylor 310CE. I love the guitar, really great sound and playability! :}

Captain - Gotcha. :] So do you know of any humidifiers that are small, quiet and stay around 40-60%?
that depends on the size of your room mostly. check back on the last 3 threads you started on humidifiers. there's tons of suggestions.
Make sure you bey extra filters and the rest of the junk to go with it. Cool mist humidifiers can get real musty, real quick, if you're not careful.

And when the outdoor air is at the RH you need, don't be afraid to turn it off and open the windows.
Quote by Captaincranky
Yeah well, the people at Taylor like to hear themselves talk. Good luck maintaining, "exactly 47% RH" year round. Do you live in a laboratory? Cause if not, 40% to 60% year round should be your short term goal.

I mean hell, do we think they'll void the warranty if it slips to 48% for a day or two?

Guys... This is how false rumors get started. I own three high end Taylor acoustics and have even toured the the Taylor facility - they do not specify that you have to keep your environment at 47% year round. They maintain THEIR facility at 47% RH. Here is what their website recommends:

From Taylor.com:

The bottom line regarding dryness
is that if your guitar is not kept within a comfortable
range of 45-55% relative humidity, it will be
in danger of cracking.

I maintain my home studio around 45% RH year round. On extremely cold days, I'll see 41% to 42% and my expensive acoustics are just fine. Maintaining your environment needs to be a careful balance of maintaining an acceptable humidity level, with not causing condensation inside of your walls and creating conditions for mold.

For more information on maintaining conditions for solid top acoustics, see here:

http://www.taylorguitars.com/sites/default/files/10_SymptomsofaDryGuitar.pdf
You are absolutely right KG6. :]
Sorry about that.

Captain - Thanks!
Quote by KG6_Steven
Guys... This is how false rumors get started....[ ]....
I usually bypass the silly shit of starting rumors, and go straight for creating an urban legend...!
i heard that kg6 has been seen at the Mcdonalds drive-thru in a '72 Pinto while wearing pink high-heels( which are remarkably similar to the ones i lost).
Quote by stepchildusmc
i heard that kg6 has been seen at the Mcdonalds drive-thru in a '72 Pinto while wearing pink high-heels( which are remarkably similar to the ones i lost).
Pfft, fie on pink heels! Everyone knows the red ones make everything you wear them with look ever so much sluttier.....

Quote by KG6_Steven
Guys... This is how false rumors get started. I own three high end Taylor acoustics and have even toured the the Taylor facility - they do not specify that you have to keep your environment at 47% year round. They maintain THEIR facility at 47% RH. Here is what their website recommends:
But Taylor, after having touted their tight control over humidity, aren't they tacitly whispering, "and you should too"?
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jun 11, 2013,
Quote by stepchildusmc

Who told you that!? You have no proof.

Do you?

And it was a '73.

Quote by Captaincranky
Pfft, fie on pink heels! Everyone knows the red ones make everything you wear them with look ever so much sluttier.....

But Taylor, after having touted their tight control over humidity, aren't they tacitly whispering, "and you should too"?

I don't think my wife's stuff would fit. Besides, she looks faaaaaaar better in it.

Taylor realizes that the end user has no capability to control their environment that tight - it's just not possible. The only reason they do it is to maintain consistency during manufacturing. That's why they specify a range for the customer - maintain this range and you'll be happy - and more importantly, your guitar will be happy. Right now, with the central air on, it's 43% RH in the home studio and the tops of my guitars are fine. I could run a humidifier, but it just wouldn't make any sense.

(Invalid img)

Steven, the girl in the bottom photo has her eye on your "humidifier".
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jun 11, 2013,
my Taylors are playing fine at 42%. even with humidity control( 2 humidfiers, 2 de-humidifiers) it does change regularly. i don't lose any sleep over it.

nice pic of you and the gremlin Cranky ! i wouldn't have been caught dead with yellow flipflops with that belt !!! you philly boys are odd...brave to wear that combo but odd nonetheless.
Look at the smile, I think she's having an "Ovagasm", you should whip out your Adamas on her....
my 2080sr has more class than that trailer trash.....i don't mind you but, it does. for that hussy, i'd hafta break out the big gun.... '87 yamaha RGX shredder...it's had more surgery than Pamela Anderson....i think.
there have been times in my life that goats and hell...depending on the breeze, a tall date palm looked damn sexy.
sorry isakale...you've ordered your humidifier from Amazon...threads open !
...And the big sunglasses. That's a fashion faux pas right there, Cap'n. If the other gal is eyeing my "humidifier," my wife'll have something to say about that. Those photos look like they're straight out of the 70s. Yeesh!

No Adamas here!

The thing is, like the Taylor article I posted says, you need to learn to spot the signs of a dry guitar. The acoustic is going to let you know it's dry, if you're willing to listen to it catch the hints.
Quote by Isakale
Wow... This innocent thread took a scary turn... o_o
Sometimes they do. You know how like when you're sitting pretty in the sunlight, but strapped into the funhouse car, and all of of sudden it slams into those big metal doors, and everything goes dark, and you begin to see and hear strange things? Well, once in a while, (in fact frequently), that happens here too....

Stepchild started it though, That's my story and I'm stickin' to it! And now I want my lawyer!

Here's a final parting shot, for Gremlin lovers everywhere:

This didn't have a title, so I'm calling it, "put down the gun darlin', and let me humidify you" (Her street name is "Taylor").
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jun 12, 2013,
OK, thanks for the help! I'm gonna check out of the rest of this thread..... o_O
I should write some ad copy for that painting, "White AMC Gremlin with red wall tires, about 20 grand". "Well used but restored B-29, a few million bucks". Red haired floozy in leather hot pants, wearing a cape and pointing a pistol, priceless".....!